Saturday, December 11, 2010

Home on the Range

John Vitzthum
Gone to His Home on the Range
Decmeber 10, 2010

Very few families get to boast of their own cowboy. We are among those few.

Our beloved of John has long been a living legend among us. Strong, fiercely private, uttlerly devoted to family, quick to find humor, a lover of farms & ranches, unequaled in work ethic, John leaves us perplexed about how we're ever to fill the void he leaves.

In bittersweet resolve, our family gathers in preparations for his funeral on Thursday. Between now and then, what a great privilege it is to remember & share all that John has meant to us. How grateful are we that we had the opportunity to share these same things with him BEFORE he said his final goodbye.

Farewell, my brother. We'll ride the open range again someday. And this time I won't be afraid of the horse, or fall of.

I love you.


Footnote: John is the 80 year old husband of my sister, Dolores; father to Rick/Andrea, Jim/Julie, Diane, David/Heather, Vic/Mary, Monica/Tim; grandfather to Amy, April, Josh, Jessica, Charlotte, Lonnie, Hannah, Caleb, Nathan, Ashley, Emily; great-grandfather to Mason and soon-to-be born, Lincoln.

10 comments:

LisaShaw said...

Kathleen,

My heart is full for your sister and all of you right now in this tender time YET my soul rejoice in the legacy of love John has left with each of you, the memories and laughter and the love and that he is safe and whole in the arms of Jesus.

My prayers remain...

Love you.

Rita said...

What a sad time for you but what a lovely tribute! Praying for your family during this very trying time.

Saleslady371 said...

I extend my condolences. I know how much you loved your brother in law. He left a wonderful legacy.

Sonja said...

I'm so sorry. I pray for God's peace and comfort for each of you. When we lose those we love, the comfort and reality of heaven becomes even dearer.

RCUBEs said...

May the God of Comfort and strength cover you all. God bless you sister.

Loren said...

May the Lord Comfort you and yours as you spend this time honoring and remembering John. Bless you my dear friend. My heart and prayers are with you all!

Rebecca said...

Sounds like your BIL has left his "range" well populated and full of remarkable memories. Praying for aGod-give season of unusual comfort and joy for ALL of you - especially your sister and her children.

Aliene said...

Lovely tribute. May the God of all comfort be with all of you in the days to come.

flutietootie said...

I am so sorry to hear of his passing. It looks like he has left a nice memory for all you to remember him by.

Blessings said...

May He rest in peace. It is a Family Blessing in you as all gathered for him.