Monday, December 27, 2010

Everything, Really!

I rarely recommend books. I read a wide array of them; and have found many to be helpful, inspiring or entertaining, and some that deserved the recycle bin. Few grip me at my core.
.
My core is gripped with "Everything by Prayer", written by Fred Hartley III about the life and teachings of Armin Gesswein.
.
Thanks to dear friend Sonja (at Bits and Pieces) I now own the referenced work. I have been reading & weaping my way through it for several weeks now.
.
Armin Gesswein is a man well known among our elder Christian statesmen. His ministry was, and is foundational to many a notable organization because this humble, seemingly unknown man-of-God drew all men's hearts near to God through prayer. His mining of the biblical texts unearthed gold nuggets the size the golf balls!
.
Did I tell you that Sonja is Armin's daughter? She is; and I now know the secret of her steady gait. She is that apple not far fallen from the tree, and I'm thinking she has learned well one her father's many quotes: Secret prayer is the secret to prayer.
.
But when you pray, go into your room,
close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen.
Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret,
will reward you.
Matthew 6:6
.
Thank you, Sonja, for the gift that has so touched me. Never have I viewed "everything" in quite the same context; nor will I ever again.
.

His divine power has given us everything we need
for a godly life through our knowledge of him
who called us by his own glory and goodness.
2 Peter 1:3
.
Rejoice always, pray continually,
give thanks in all circumstances;
for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.
1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

9 comments:

THE OLD GEEZER said...

Good Morning Kathleen

Thanks for the book recommendation. It sounds great!

I hope you and your family had a Wonderful Christmas celebration.

Happy New Year from (rainy) Southern California.

God Bless You, ~Ron :-)
************************

Loren said...

Looks like a Must-have for me! Thank you for sharing!

Hope you had a wonderful and Blessed Christmas!!

Love and Hugs to you today

Yolanda said...

Your two scriptures go so well with my recent posting at Higher Grounds. Thank you for encouraging me in 2010!

Lovingly,
Yolanda

Debbie said...

Oh this sounds wonderful...I will look for it first chance I get...Is it in the book stores, or does it need to be ordered?

Sonja said...

Kathleen:

These words, as you would understand, touched my heart so!

I lived with their example daily, and I saw how their prayers changed everything, and though this 'apple' came from that tree, it has taken me so many years to really understand and appreciate the value of what I was taught.

He would have loved your description of the scriptures that held gold nuggets the size of golf balls! The week before he died, he was booked for a trip to preach in Norway, and had just played 9 holes the day before.

You always bless my heart. Your words stir, challenge and instruct.

I am so happy you've been blessed. I can say for sure that dad's vision and desire for prayer never, never faded. I used to come into his study and he would be on his knees, and probably many of those times, my name was on his heart.

Thank you for so beautifully sharing this my friend. I forwarded your blog to Fred, he will be blessed.

Love you!

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

I've long wanted to write a review of this book; I just never felt like I'd do it justice. Billy is reading it now; I plan on reading it a 3rd time when he's finished. It takes me longer to absorb its depth.

Sonja's steady gait. How true! What a beautiful expression of faith.

peace~elaine

Grace on the Narrow Path said...

Your review was great. I would love to read the book. Thank you for sharing.
Blessings,
Bren

Janette@Janette's Sage said...

I glean from Sonja all the time...she is a treasure, a real gift to the Body of Christ...I will have to get this book...I am sure I will see more of her heritage, which is always poured through her blog.

Thanks for the recommendation!

Kay said...

That sounds like an amazing book!