Thursday, November 25, 2010

Selah at Sunrise

Just try and get to the bottom of the word "Selah", and you'll be digging indefinitely!

Regardless of chosen resources - be they Jewish or contemporary Christian or secular Wikipedic - there are varying opinions about the word's source and uses. Associated with their explanations are words like "maybe", "sometimes", "probably", "likely", "possibly", "if", etc.

We can just picture our linquistic experts as they sit in amused silence, each one scratching their head.

None, however, disagree on the word's ultimate power. In every instance, "Selah" is the grandest of all thanks-givings, for the source of "Selah" resides in the headwaters of heaven itself!

From the Jewish Talmud we learn that "Selah" is treated as a synonym of neẓaḥ and wa'ed, signifying eternal continuance without interruption.

It is also seen as a verb that means "lift up", applying to the voice. Some regard it to be an equivalent, or an affirmative corroborative expletive (no worries, this expletive doesn't come with soap!). (1)

The Amplified Bible adds “pause and calmly think about that” to each verse where it appears.

When we encounter the "Selah" in scripture, it simply means that we are to pause, and to carefully weigh the meaning of what we have just read or heard, lifting up our hearts in praise to God for His great truths. (2)

On this day of Thanksgiving, it seems so very appropriate to Selah at sunrise. In my world, He has certainly done, and does all things well. Selah!

“All the earth bows down to You;
they sing praise to You,
they sing praise to Your name."
.Selah!
(Psalm 66:4)
.



Sources:
Jewish Encyclopedia
Got Questions?
Photos Compliments of Google Images

10 comments:

Country Wings in Phoenix said...

Good Morning Sweetie...
Happy Thanksgiving. I thank you for you gift of friendship this year. It has been the most incredible gift one could give. I love visiting with you and stopping by for just a little encouragement now and again. Thank you sweet friend for being you.

Many hugs and so much love, Sherry

Debbie said...

HAPPY THANKSGIVING...Have a wonderful day...we are blessed indeed...SELAH

Grace on the Narrow Path said...

SELAH . . . Happy Thanksgiving. I learn so much here.
Blessings,
Bren

NanaNor's said...

Hi there dear sister, Popping in to say Happy Thanksgiving and I am blessed by this post. I have been so thankful to have gotten to know you this year.
Hugs, Noreen

Saleslady371 said...

This really broadened my horizons. I was only familiar with the Amplified definition! Love you, dearest, and knowing you are thriving in thankfulness.

a portland granny said...

I DID like this post so much!! Loved the verse from Psalms and your thoughts on Selah!

Just caught up on your last three posts and I only have one thing to say. You have a gift from God in the crafting of your words and thoughts. I absolutely love the way you put things!

Trust you will have a wonderful Thanksgiving, surrounded, I'm sure, by all of your wonderful family!!

~*~KIMBERLY~*~ said...

Great post Kathleen. Your blog is always full of great knowledge and very wisely expressed.

Happy Thanksgiving, Kathleen.

Just a little something from Judy said...

"To pause and carefully weigh the meaning of what we just read or heard. Lifting up our hearts in praise to God for His great truths"...this definition you shared causes me to think I should add a "selah" to every comment I make when reading your posts. Always your posts have me doing that exact thing. Selah!

I do pray that you enjoyed your Thanksgiving day today.

Andrea said...

AMEN!!
Hope you had a wonderfully blessed Thanksgiving!
Blessings and prayers,
andrea

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

I've had a few Selah moments this past week; having one now, as I read your thoughts before my Christmas tree. Something about the light that resides there that always grants me a heavenward pause.

Beautiful reflection, and also loved seeing the baby blues of your newest addition to the family.

peace~elaine