Thursday, November 18, 2010

Lessons from My Maple

Summer's pride demonstrated in a full array of glorious, otherworldly garb. Standing tall - fully cloaked - the magnificant Maple gladly obeys the summons of it's Creator; a summons to share the beauty & bounty crafted by His own skilled hands.


As the weeks roll by, the Maple's lush hues are made more glorious - were that even possible! They are decorated in increasing measure with the scarlets that have been threaded by His tender hands. It obeys with joy His summons to present this dignified demonstration of heaven's unrivaled beauty.



Assaulted now by contrary winds and threats of death, the humbled Maple stands naked, finding it difficult to to hear a new summons. But it obeys, standing naked, and in hushed silence. Then the whisper ... "Spring's array is already crafted, and the newest hues are more wonderful than before. It's splendor will be worth the wait, even a wait in nakedness. "



Though a tree grows so high,
the falling leaves return to the root.
Malay proverb

I like trees because they seem more resigned
to the way they have to live than other things do.
- Willa Cather (1873-1947), O Pioneers 1913

The tree which moves some to tears of joy
is in the eyes of others only a
green thing that stands in the way.
Some see Nature all ridicule and
deformity, and some scarce see Nature at all.
But to the eyes of the
man of imagination,
Nature is Imagination itself.
- William Blake, 1799, The Letters

14 comments:

Beth E. said...

How poetic, Sassy! You write so well.

As much as I love autumn, I do get a little sad when all the leaves fall off the trees.

Blessings to you, and lots of hugs, too!

Debbie said...

Oh I loved this...I agree, you write soo well! I don't have any trees at my new house that lose their leaves in the fall. I miss it...and when I think how I used to complain about the mess the others made...just shows ya. You never know what you have till you don't have it anymore. Have a wonderful day. HUGS

Rebecca said...

"...a poem as lovely as a tree"

You've created a poem of LIFE in these sequential photos.

I believe I've heard that Ephesians 2:10 contains the Greek word for "poem"...."We are God's POEM (workmanship) created in Christ Jesus to do good works which God prepared in advance for us to do..."

Oh, to live a life of obedience at all stages and seasons!

RCUBEs said...

I get tired sweeping the leaves in the front and side yard every day. But I love it. I'm grateful that these trees have given us even the littlest shade that helps during hot months. I love to see them thrive despite the changing seasons. That maple tree is beautiful. But being bare reminds me of how truly bare my life is also. We come here without anything and we will also leave without anything. Humbling...

Don't get tired to hear I echo what the other sisters wrote about how well you write and how fitting the words always are to what you observe. God bless you sister and may you have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

LisaShaw said...

Kathleen,

This is beautiful. Made me pause and think.

Love you.

Janette@Janette's Sage said...

This is so well said...I love His creation and I learn so much from watching it...and trees, I always hear.."and the trees of the field will clap their hands!"

THE OLD GEEZER said...

Perfect photos to relate to your post.

God bless you and have great weekend

~Ron

BTW, I love the William Blake quote :-)

Just a little something from Judy said...

You are the only person I know( and I know you only through the blogworld) that could make me stop and contemplate a Maple tree and it's yearly cycle on this Thursday afternoon. It amazes me how it all happens quietly, without fanfare, in perfect fashion by the Master creator himself. You shared the tree and the comparisons beautifully, as always.

Terri Tiffany said...

Very lovely! I see you still have green too:)

Susan J. Reinhardt said...

Hi Kathleen -

Beautiful post! I enjoyed the quotes, as well as your lovely words.

Blessings,
Susan :)

Rita said...

Isn't nature wonderful? As you watch the glorious splendor of the colors that fall from those trees to the bare branches and then anticipate the return of spring and the beautiful green leaves, it makes you appreciate nature! Great post!

"Just Me - NC Beth" said...

I must say I love the array of colors we are blessed with each Fall! But alas, the leaves must fall....

~Beth

Tiffany Marcotte said...

I'm not going to lie, I am jealous of you!! What beautiful scenery you have :) Thank you for you prayers!

Hold my hand: a social worker's blog said...

How beautiful!!

Doris