Monday, November 22, 2010

Incurable Gratitude Attacks

In the run-up to Thanksgiving my heart patiently endures a flurry of gratitude attacks. They're hard to explain, though I have to believe you know exactly what they look like and how they feel.
.
The majority of mine come in the form of recent events - - all those things that have occurred in the past year that deliver me to present day. They're happenings ... and people ... and places ... and doings ... and beings ... and havings ... and losings ... and so much more.
.
I dare not begin to list them because I cannot afford to sit in this one place for six, or thirteen, or 24 days on end. My list is endless.
.
There are a few, though, that derive from days long passed; days of my childhood.
.
.
I spoke of a particularly tough one last year with the penning of It's Time. But most are light-hearted fare and center on home; the place of my childhood. That's where warmth and security reigned in the form of family - daddy, mommy and my sisters three. They always feature prominently in my every giving of thanks.
(Photo: the home of my childhood)
.


(Photo: Carol, Dad, Kathleen, Barb, Mom, Dolores)





(Photo: Barb, Mom, Carol, Kathleen, Dolores)


..

The run-up is fully underway now, so I'm keenly alert to the flurry that stirs me. I'm sure glad there's no cure for an attack of gratitude, but turkey does help.

14 comments:

NanaNor's said...

Hi there, I love this my friend because I too have continual gratitude/thanksgiving attacks-how wonderful! Even trials can be turned around when we give thanks.
Hugs to you today and have a very blessed Thanksgiving.
Noreen

Pamela said...

Gratitude attacks--love the concept. My symptoms show that's what has been creating the outbursts of praise!

Love your writing here...I'm becoming a follower.

Cindy said...

I call them grace notes, but I know what you mean.

Isn't it funny how old photos like that look alike? I remember some with my own relatives and they look eerily the same! lol

Loren said...

Gratitude attacks :) I love that! Having a heart full of thanks just pours out onto all of those around you and spreads like crazy! What a blessing you are to us and those around you :)

Have a blessed and beautiful Thanksgiving!

I love you

Susan J. Reinhardt said...

Hi Kathleen -

If you're going to have an attack, a gratitude attack is the best kind!

I'm thankful for all my blogger buddies. :)

Blessings,
Susan

Hold my hand: a social worker's blog said...

Happy Thanksgiving!!

Doris

Saleslady371 said...

I love these photos and your grateful heart. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.

Just a little something from Judy said...

I consider it a real privilege to step into your past this morning, to see real pictures of what goes together to make you the person you are. From the first time that I visited your blog, until this present day, I have been reminded of the gratitude you exhibit in one form or another, as you create your posts. Today was not any different. I went back to the post you shared last year about your wonderful father and it reminded me again of the difference a life can make. Today, I am thankful for you and all that I learn from my visits with you(via blogland).

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family!

Janette@Janette's Sage said...

I love your gratitude attacks...I have been having them also. I just got off the phone with my daughter yelling, "Oh God is so Good!!!", so I think she has caught it also.

Happy Thanksgiving...or Happy Gratitude Attack!

Sonja said...

this so looks like a page out of my own album! So many similarities and so many blessings!

Have a wonderful THanksgiving in your new home surrounded by those you love!

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

We've had a lovely evening together; older boys have traveled to be with their father. The two youngers with me and hubs on a night out to buy lights for the tree and dinner at Logans. I am grateful and blessed and ready for more tomorrow.

peace~elaine

Rita said...

It's wonderful to think back to days of old and be thankful for them. Have a great Thanksgiving!

Rita said...

It's wonderful to think back on old times and all the blessings that go with them. Happy Thanksgiving!

RCUBEs said...

What precious memories! "Gratitude attacks?" Love that term!Keep 'em coming! God bless you sister and Happy Thanksgiving.