Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Wrought in the Rent

And when Jesus had cried out
again in a loud voice,
He gave up his spirit.
.
At that moment
the curtain of the temple
was torn (rent) in two
from top to bottom.
Matthew 27:50-51
.
.
To Rend
.
1: to perform an act of tearing or splitting
2: to become torn or split
.
Numerous dimensions attend the word rend, many of them associated with violence. I could certainly travel that course as it pertains to this subject matter, but instead I'll stick to the leg associated with an equally dynamic theme: where we find ourselves because of that rending.
.
We have this hope as an anchor for the soul,
firm and secure. It enters the inner sanctuary
behind the curtain, where Jesus,
who went before us, has entered on our behalf.
He has become a high priest forever ...
Hebrews 6:19-20
.
Amazing isn't it?
.
To think of all that was, and is wrought because of that rent curtain - because Jesus "entered on our behalf" - simply boggles the mind.
.
Sometimes I wonder if, even now, I truly comprehend on a personal level all that was wrought in the rent for me.
.
  • The curtain itself was a constant reminder that sin renders humanity unfit for the presence of God.
  • It's having been rent signified that now the way into the Holy of Holies was open for all people, for all time, both Jew and Gentile.
  • We are now invited, and welcome to enter the Holy of Holies through Jesus.
  • All now have access to the throne of grace, through the one great atonement and mediator, the Lord Jesus.
  • No longer is anyone (mediator/confessor) or anything (works) required for us to stand righteous before the Father. No more atoning sacrifices, and no more personal atoning attempts. It is finished! We've been "made to stand".

.Now it is God who makes both us and you
stand firm in Christ.
He anointed us, set his seal of ownership on us,
and put his Spirit in our hearts as a deposit,
guaranteeing what is to come.
2 Corinthians 1:21-22
.

Wow. No wonder it's called Amazing Grace!

We've all heard it said: We can do nothing to make God love us any more. We can do nothing to make God love us any less. The torn curtain affirms the veracity of such a powerful fact.

I don't know about you, but believing THAT didn't come easy to me. For too many seasons I felt I had to add this or that to my salvation as if some missing ingredient was necessary. I'd grown up with heavy doses of the "shoulds" and the "guilts", so how under God's blue sky I was ever to give up the personal works was beyond me.

Worse, I had the sense that I could not truly know - not here, not now - that I was fully accepted by the Father, or that heaven would be my home. I'd have to wait and see, as they say. Mine was religion, but mine was certainly not a relationship that was firm and secure - one lived behind the curtain - for far too long.

What was wrought in the rent by none other than Jesus Himself is the absolute certainty of the destiny of those that are truly (BIG caveat) saved by Him, and Him alone.

.
All that the Father gives me will come to me,
and whoever comes to me I will never drive away.
For I have come down from heaven
not to do my will but to do the will of him
who sent me.

And this is the will of him who sent me,
that I shall lose none
of all that he has given me
,
but raise them up at the last day.

For my Father's will is that
everyone who looks to the Son and
believes in Him shall have eternal life,
and I will raise him up at the last day."
John 6:37-40

It is always a worthy exercise to ask oneself: On which side of the curtain am I living?
.


Material Resources:

Biblios
Got Questions

13 comments:

Rebecca said...

Such an amazing truth! It exceeds my ability to totally "grasp" it! So thankful that God gave us a "picture" to give us a glimpse into this liberating thought.

Shirley said...

That's a thought: On which side of the curtain am I living?

I tell you...sometimes when I read of God's amazing grace, it brings tears.

MOMSWEB said...

"Wow. No wonder it's called Amazing Grace!"

Amen to that! I agree, it's just mind boggling!

THE OLD GEEZER said...

John 6:37-40...Now that's eternal security!

Salvation is totally 100% from God. :-)

~*~KIMBERLY~*~ said...

Such profound words! Praise God!

KelliGirl said...

The rending of the temple curtain always fills me with awe and excitement. The old is gone, the new has come. Thank you Jesus for your amazing grace!

Wonderful word study, Kathleen!

BTW...I leave tomorrow for your neck of the woods. How's the weather over there?

Technonana said...

Amazing Grace!
Amazing what you have given us to chew on today!!! Praise God, we can go before the Throne with our petitions, because we have A Loving Gracious High Priest that takes us there!!

RCUBEs said...

Not only you enrich my vocabulary, but much more with my spirit...Glory be to God for His love and mercy!

God bless.

Debbie said...

How thankful I am that I can enter in because of Jesus' perfect sacrifice for my sins. What a gift of love!

I used that same Hebrews verse for my Word Filled Wednesday post today. I had a photo of the rain from my car from yesterday. And yes, can you believe I was driving in it and took the photos? Crazy but ...what can I say?

Love you and look forward to seeing you soon,
Debbie

Aliene said...

What a privilege to be able to enter into His Presence because the veil was rent into. Thanks for the post.

Susan J. Reinhardt said...

Hi Kathleen -

I'm so glad I live on this side of the cross.

Blessings,
Susan :)

Tammy@If Meadows Speak... said...

This post is just too beautiful to pick any one favorite part. Gorgeous. I'd say Washington agrees with you. Maybe you should rename your blog "I hear clouds speak..." Because most certainly, I hear Him speaking from a certain someone who lives under them. :)

Denise said...

Awesome post.