Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Seafarers

Isn't it fascinating how families often pass down certain interests or traits that would, at-a-glance, seem to have nothing to do with DNA? Musical inclinations come to mind, as does dancing, or gardening, or pretty-making (like my friend Judy does at her e-house, Just a Little Something for You).

Well, in this family the love of nature - specifically bodies of water & fishing - fits into that category. Whether by nature or by nurture, the lot of us can't get enough of the outdoors.
.
I used to think the family's affinity for the wilds had something to do with my Dad's fondness for the fishing pole, but I now believe it goes even beyond that. Those not even born into our gene pool seem to have it, as if overcome by a virus unique to this clan.
.
So-o-o-o, it comes as no surprise to me that hubby decided to purchase a boat; one he hopes will be used often and well, and one that'll make for umpty-umpty family gatherings, and memories.
.

Saturday was our Maiden Voyage, and the first batch of family showed up for orientation (code speak for big boat ride).
.


.
Come rain or shine, I expect we'll be seeing a lot more of these sea-smitten voyagers.
.
This post cannot close without my affirming the generous heart that resides within my husband. Never has he loved his family more; and ever is he given to ensuring the ties (or is that fishing line?) that bind us all.
.

12 comments:

Rebecca said...

I see AdVEntURe written all over your future :)

Loren said...

Oh Kathleen! My heart just swells as I read about your family! When a Father does something to bring his family together not out of selfishness, but out of Love, it is beautiful and no doubt will be blessed! I pray you have many wonderful adventures together on the new boat! Let the Memories begin :)

Hope you oral surgery went well and you are feeling better each day!

Love you

LisaShaw said...

Kathleen,

I came on over to see how you are feeling friend from the oral surgery yesterday?

This is a precious message! Love the photos and you and your husband family-heart. Enjoy the times on the boat to come.

Love you very much!

Nel said...

Oh what fun! And talk about making memories. I am so happy for all of you!

Hope the oral surgery went well and you are feeling good. Take care of yourself!
until next time... nel

Rita said...

We used to have a boat and oh what fun we had in it. I hope your family enjoys it as much as our did. Hope you are feeling much better!

Denise said...

Hope you are recovering well from your surgery sweetie, this was a wonderful message.

Beth E. said...

It's so good to see today's post...you must be recovering well from your dental surgery!

What a wonderful family you have, and what a thoughtful hubby to think of his/your family and the many future outings you will have together. :-)

Hugs...

Just a little something from Judy said...

This post made me cry. I cannot express to you how happy and sad it made me to read this and I am still not over it. A flashback in time to another tall, handsome man who could not help himself and bought himself a boat that looked so much like yours. It was named the "Five Stars" for each of his children. We had hours of fun in it. We cruised, we tubed, we skiied, and we laughed together. And, no we never fished from it. I guess that gene never found us. Oh the memories that this post and pictures included brought with it. Funny how that can happen. I pray that all of you enjoy and treasure all the fun times that you all have together. I am so happy for all of you and your good looking family.

ps. How kind of you to mention me. It certainly added to the emotion of the time here. I can't stop looking at the boat and the pictures.

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

Only thing missing, sweeping music to accompany the thought.

I know you'll have years of good memories aboard that boat... once the teeth heal of course.

peace~elaine

a portland granny said...

OH, are you going to have fun!! My sister and her husband have had a boat all of their married life...and raising three boys, it was a Godsend!

They learned to fish and crab, have over nights on the boat and go out for deep sea fishing.

Such adventures you will have..and how fun for the grandies!

With all of our water here in the Northwest, a boat just seems natural, doesn't it?

My sister and her husband just sold their boat and it was a wrenching day for them.

Enjoy your time--there will be many adventures ahead. I know your husband is beyond thrilled to have this boat!! How nice he can make it happen for his family.

Susan J. Reinhardt said...

Hi Kathleen -

Hope you're feeling better. What a delightful post!

My grandfather loved fishing and built his own boat. My aunt caught the boating/fishing gene, but the other siblings are land lovers all the way.

Blessings,
Susan :)

Diana said...

Just wanted to say hi again. Hope you continue to improve quickly!