Saturday, October 16, 2010

Little Indulgences?

Definition:
excessive or unrestrained gratification
of one's own appetites, desires, or whims
,
Like some gather teacups, or guns, or cars, or rare coins, I collect words. They're a lot less expensive than most collectibles, so my attic's full of them; my basement too.
.
.
Most of the time I absolutely treasure them; words. They give life it's luster, story-telling it's savory flavor, and dialects their dimension. Words shape things.
.
Even so, sometimes I discover a word among the many stored in my personal collection and wonder how it got there. Surely I didn't save it for myself? Isn't it possible that I placed it there by mistake, or intended it for SOMEONE ELSE'S collection?
.
Indulgence is just such a word. And "little indulgence" is the epitome of an oxymoron.
.
Oh, no doubt I grabbed it whilst (= one of my favorite collectibles) in a hurry one day, tucking it among the others with little or no thought to it's deeper meaning. But why on earth it refused to remain tucked away is anyone's guess; specifically mine.
.
I do just fine with the part about appetites and desires (disclaimer: EXCEPT where ice cream, and fresh bread/butter are concerned, or shoes), but when it comes to whims I'm in trouble. Big time.
.
Have you ever noticed how easy it is to justify a whim?
.

Loving a child doesn't mean
giving in to all his whims;
to love him is to bring out
the best in him,
to teach him to love what is difficult.
~ Nadia Boulanger

10 comments:

Denise said...

Amen, such a thought provoking post dear.

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

There you go collecting words again! Let's see, today I'm going to collect some much needed fresh air and perhaps a nap in the afternoon. My mom and dad have come to take the kids for a couple of days (they have a little fall break right now from school), and husband and I are going to take advantage of a quiet house!

Indulgence indeed.

peace~elaine

Linda Hoye said...

A wise post indeed.

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

Just so you'll know... it was cool enough for me to wear my Sassy, coral jacket as we walked a bit ago... perfect for this time of year!

peace~elaine

Sonja said...

Yes you are a collector of words. I told you I was going to keep a SASSY GRANICTIONARY... well, I did! Here are a few of your entries so far...

thraldom
domestic dithering
quieter quiet
desparate desparation
apocalypticism
gitty on up
the decided Y
Nifty Nostrums
galvanizing character
conundrumming
crawling credits
clustered blessings
messy morass
verdantness
provocative ponderance...

:)

Heart2Heart said...

Kathleen,

You and I have the very same issues with staying away from ice cream and butter, I would have to add any fresh baked bread, just right from the oven knows my name too!

Love and Hugs ~ Kat

LisaShaw said...

Oh I love your post...indulgences. Whims. My my.

I have thought of doing what Sonja has done above -- collecting your words shared Kathleen.

I've enjoyed them. I'm blessed by your sharing.

Rita said...

We indulge in so many things. What a wonderful thing to indulge in... words! Thanks for sharing them with us!

~*~KIMBERLY~*~ said...

What a fun yet challenging post. I like the way you put it Kathleen.

Diana said...

Indulging in HIS grace...........

Thanks for the great post, Kathleen.