Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Insufficient Funds


Have you ever had an overdraft? Me too.
.
The cause of an NSF notice being issued is bad enough when it's merely a matter of not having transferred funds from one account to another; or because a deposit missed a withdrawal by seconds. Both are easily corrected, though they might still be costly given a bank's swiftness in applying penalties.
.
Yet an NSF scenario is downright miserable when it's the result of a sum having been added or subtracted incorrectly, and there are NO funds to transfer; NO deposit forthcoming. Corrections won't be easy, or inexpensive.
.
Under such circumstances, the insufficiency in one's checking account has no bottom. Under the best of those circumstances, the fix will entail some scrambling. Under the worst of those circumstances, it could easily spell:
b-a-n-k-r-u-p-t-c-y.
.
So, where insufficiencies are concerned, it never hurts to have a fallback position (and I seriously doubt that would include a government bailout). .
.
When you were dead in your transgressions ...
He made you alive together with Him,
having forgiven us all our transgressions,
having canceled out the certificate of debt
consisting of decrees against us,
which was hostile to us;
and He has taken it out of the way,
having nailed it to the cross.
Colossians 2:13-14
.
So let each one give as he purposes in his heart,
not grudgingly or of necessity;
for God loves a cheerful giver.
And God is able to make
all grace abound toward you,
that you, always having all sufficiency
in all things, may have an abundance
for every good work.
2 Corinthians 9:7-8
.
And we have such trust through Christ
toward God.
Not that we are sufficient of ourselves
to think of anything as being from ourselves,
but our sufficiency is from God,
who also made us sufficient
as ministers of the new covenant,
not of the letter but of the Spirit ...
2 Corinthians 3:4-6
..
As you may have surmised (a much better deduction than guessing), the dot I've connected here has little, if anything to do with checking accounts.
.
It's to say that I need reminding over-and-over again that my debts (the truly monumental ones) have been paid - fully and forever. I need not scramble to cover for them, nor do I need to proclaim a state of bankruptcy. I need not hire myself out as slave in order to satisfy them (aka perform, or work).
.
In both the macro and the micro senses, my debts are already fully satisfied - past, present and future! (Oh, that that were true of my checking account!)
.
The funds used to cover my account are incalculable; sufficient. They are paid up beyond my ability to use them up.
.
I sleep a whole lot better given the fact of the largess that is mine - sweet grace that it is!
.

20 comments:

Denise said...

Praise God, praise God.

Debbie said...

What a wonderful anaolgy and one we can all relate to no doubt. I LOVE LOVE to dwell on that debt being completely covered. PRAISE GOD! Have a wonderful day. HUGS!

Nel said...

Ain't God good! Such a good feeling!
until next time... nel

~*~KIMBERLY~*~ said...

I love the analogy. Great post! Praise God!

Yolanda said...

We can truly relax in these Truths!!!

Lovingly,
Yolanda

Terri Tiffany said...

Amen!
PS I heard it was 41 degrees there today. Brrrrr. Dress warm.

THE OLD GEEZER said...

I seriously doubt that would include a government bailout - AMEN!

Early in my marriage we made the decision that my wife would handle the check book in our family and I've always been thankful that she took on that responsibility :-)

Debbie said...

I am so glad my debt has been paid in full! That gives me peace like nothing else can.

Love you,
Debbie

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

As I read this, I am reminded about the deficiency that sometimes comes to us as believers because we've not made a worthy investment on the front end of our faith. Accordingly, when a crisis arises, or when we're just plain worn out, we feel depleted, bankrupt, with nothing left to absorb or to give.

How intentional we must be in making good deposits into the faith bank!

I know you're doing it; me as well.

Probably not what you had in mind here, but just an extra thought.

For what it's worth.

peace~elaine

Janette@Janette's Sage said...

I am SHOUTING AMEN!!!
I also so agree with the comment above...I am so glad I made deposits into my spiritual bank account...because the withdraws have shown me His abundance, even in time of natural lack.

Rita said...

Oh what a wonderful thing to know in our hearts that our debts are all paid. You can sleep a whold lot better knowing such a fact! Great post!

Beth E. said...

Oooo...Elaine's comment is so good! I can add nothing to that. So glad our debt has been paid in full!

Love you, sweet Sassy!

P.S. Hubby is momentarily sharing his computer with me. Looking forward to getting mine back. I'm getting wayyy behind in reading my favorite blogs. My vocabulary is falling by the wayside! ;-)

Chambray Blue said...

My hubby handles the bills mostly. I'm not so good with money. This post is Awesome!

Cheryl Barker said...

So glad that our debt has been paid. Thank You, Lord!

Your post reminded me about the time I wrote our first tithe check to our current church (over 30 years ago now!). I had added the amount of our house payment rather than deducted it in our check register, and -- you guessed it -- our check to our new church bounced. Great first impression, huh? Thank goodness, I've not done that again... :)

Runner Mom said...

Great post, Kathleen! And, praising Him right along with everyone else that He paid the debt for us!
Hugs!
Susan

Susan J. Reinhardt said...

Hi Kathleen -

As one preacher said, "That's grounds for shoutin'."

Blessings,
Susan :)

LisaShaw said...

Friend,

I'm so thankful the LORD has paid all of my debts even in spite of 'me'.

Great analogy as well!!!

I love your heart!

Diana said...

Absolutely praising HIM!!

Gwendolyn said...

Such a glorious truth; I never tire of hearing it! My debt has been paid! Thank you Jesus!

Just a little something from Judy said...

Free...totally free. How blessed we are. Debt paid in full, past, present and future. It is taking a lifetime for me to grasp that amazing concept and an eternity to realize the GRACE involved it that truth. Day in and day out, His grace continues to astound me. Well shared!