Friday, October 8, 2010

Deliberate Devotion

Devote yourselves to prayer,
being watchful and thankful.
Colossians 4:2

Be devoted to one another ...
Romans 12:10

Our people must learn to devote
themselves to doing what is good ...
Titus 3:14
DEVOTED

Is it something we are, or something we do?
Whichever it is, how is it conceived?
How is it born?
What does it look like in my life?
How is it sustained?.
.
.In some Bible translations the word is an adjective that's associated with kindly affections, or love. It is also a shapeshifter able to become a verb; and then it means something akin to maintain, or engage in.
.
I bring it up today because I've been rummaging around in the trunk that stores my motivations. Some are a bit dusty; they reside deep down, near the very bottom of the trunk. That's where I found devotion.
  • To whom, or to what am I devoted, and why?
  • Is such devotion conscious on my part, or subconscious, subliminal?
  • Must it be recognizable (to myself and/or others), or can it be vague?
  • Is all devotion equal?
  • Can I be devoted to something or someone I ought not?

In the scriptures the concept of devotion is used in a variety of ways for a variety of reasons. It carries the connotations of consecrating, setting apart, capturing. .

Add to the word the modifying "ion" so that it becomes devotion, and it's swept away into the realm of worship. Think of devotionals, and we all nod in agreement.

All is holy where devotion kneels.
Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr.
.
Merriam says it's to commit by solemn act; to give over. .

Taken all together, I have to conclude that anything worthy of such a thing, such devotion - be it adjective or verb - ought to be pretty darn special.
.
It reasons, then, that if I devote myself to something or someone, it had better be an intentional act derived from pure motives. Why?

I'll let you answer that - and all the other questions - for yourselves. I'm still straddling the trunk and working on my own answer(s).
.
... they (certain believers) have devoted
themselves to the service of the saints.
1 Corinthians 16:15
.
You cannot serve two masters...
he (a servant) will be devoted to the one
and despise the other.
Luke 16:13
.
... we will devote ourselves to prayer
and to the ministry of the word.
Acts 6:4
.
... (be) devoted to prayer,
Romans 12:12
.
... devote yourself to the public reading
of Scripture, to preaching and to teaching.
1 Timothy 4:13
.
.
.
P.S. Where being devoted is concerned in my life, just know that I'm wrestling with habits and patterns (including seemingly good ones, like blogging, or house-keeping) that may well need an overhaul.
.

10 comments:

Cindy - Letters From Midlife said...

This is a very thoughtful post and is a theme that has been niggling in the back of mind lately. You gave it words that I can take and act on. Thanks for sharing!

RCUBEs said...

I love all the Scriptures you included in this thought provoking post! These past few days, I have been thinking about that, how all of our needs, we try to fulfill them, except sometimes, He comes as last source that we try to seek. That's not good. May the Lord fan the flames in His children's hearts, so that we all remain devoted to Him. Glory be to God!

Have a great weekend and God bless.

Diana said...

I, too, agree this was a great post. He deserves and desires our ALL.

~*~KIMBERLY~*~ said...

Great wisdom, that!

I think at times my devotion can use an overhaul.

Thank You LORD for the reminder.

Tammy@If Meadows Speak... said...

I too have been rummaging.

I found that as I decided, "Yep. I can let that go with nooo problem.", well, it was a problem. Because I didn't reeeeally want to let it completely go. I had lots of good, valid reasons for keeping them too. But once I "cut" the cord, it freed up me up in both time, resources, and kindled something in my spirit. But I'm still rummaging and seeing what else is in there. Just know, I'm looking with ya.

Denise said...

Such wonderful scripture.

Just a little something from Judy said...

God led me here this morning. You can thank Him that He uses you to bless me and many others. "Devotion"...your questions and His questions are often on my heart. I keep reminding myself that I am "in the world", not "of the world", and I want the world to see the difference. I long for Him to see my devoted friendship with Him and nothing else, knowing full well that this is not always the case. I face the same issues you do my friend, and am so thankful for your sharing of your heart and His today. Just want you to know that He led you to blog and then miraculously He led me here to be blessed and inspired by your blog. You know someday we will no longer have to face these issues:)

Toyin O. said...

Awesome post;May i forever be devoted to my savior.

http://youcanfacetodaybecausehelives.blogspot.com/

Rita said...

Sometimes we devote ourselves to many things and sometimes those things have to be overhauled. I was spending so much time to other things and not getting this painting done, that I just had to stop and take care of it. So I have not blogged in over a month, but I now have new flooring and carpet in my house because I did what I needed to in order to get it done. Prayer is something that I need to be much more devoted to. Thanks for the reminder.

LisaShaw said...

Amen! Powerful and your P.S. at the end is so on point! I pull back from the blogging, etc. often. As you know I was off line all last week. I posted quotes to bless and pre-scheduled them but I needed the time away. I returned refreshed.

I can so relate to what you wrote my friend. There are some MORE areas on my life that I'm in the process of digging deep in the trunk to see what has to be over-hauled so that there is MORE OF JESUS and less of the 'stuff' including the good stuff.

Love you my friend! Praying for you and thank you for praying for me.