Friday, September 3, 2010

The Week in Passing

It's amazing to me how many steps I've gotten to retrace since returning to WA State. I realize you can never go back, but I also realize you can go forward with the wisdom born of former days.

So many lively & lovely steps this week ...

Many began here; along Clark's Creek. I used to walk here years ago, in the mid-to-late 90s. It was here that many thoughts congealed into decisions; decisions that lead to our move to Arizona. Now here I am again.

It's a peaceful domain, and no matter which direction I've taken during my early morning saunters, the scenery of pre-Fall in the Northwest is ever-so-compelling. I like to think these flowers - Chrysanthemums, Sunflowers, Dahlias - have bid me "welcome home".

But I've gotten ahead of myself, so let's begin at the beginning.

What fun it was to sit amongst family & friends while #69 (11 year old Kaden) played the first of many games for the Wolfpack. Guess what we'll be doing weekends?

What equally great fun to witness the Wolfpack's most avid fan (3 month old Kole) cheer them on!





From football to hospitals, the grandsons garnered our attention this week. 15 Year old Erik had surgery, so it was our privilege to visit him while he spent 5 days post op. He's recovering at home now; and doing remarkably well.



Off to Portland we went early in the week to meet up with some dear friends, Darrel & Diane. They "summer" in Oregon due to Arizona's temps, but most of the year you will find them preparing & leading the Tucker Small Group back in Arizona. (If you're checking in here, Joan, you can be sure I'll return so you and I have a chance to visit too).


This is my oldest sister, Dolores and her husband, John. He turned 79 this week, so their entire family (I quit counting after 20 ... and some were missing!) and we gathered to celebrate. What a treasure is this brother-in-law! Since I was 8 he's been a significant part of my life, and the lives of so many. What a great sense of humor, John Wayne style, and indomitable spirit!

Yesterday, as I pushed off from Clark's Creek, it occurred to me that scenes and smells from yesteryear (and few can equal the earthy ambiance of the Puyallup Valley) are fertile ingredients for thankfulness. All conspire to be the composition that is my life, be it a life lived in snippets or decades.
.

What a good life it is!

.
P.S. Today is made especially rich given Elaine's post-surgical report by husband Billy. I thank God for the outcome; and the two of them for being such faithful witnesses. What a team!

21 comments:

Rebecca said...

What a beautiful reflection of a thankful heart! Your walks sound so pleasant; your joy in being surrounded by family is obvious.

Technonana said...

So happy that you find so much to relect upon. And My... you have been BUSY!!
Thanks Always for sharing your heart!!

Angel said...

So glad you are so happy there with your family and memories!! Yay for a grandson on the mend!!

Have a fabulous weekend!!

Love and blessings to you

RCUBEs said...

What a blessing it is to be with your family again and create even more meaningful mem'ries each day! No matter where we are, when we truly realize the truth that He is with us everywhere we go, whatever we do, we can't help but live our lives contented knowing He is our All in All. Blessings to you sister and thank you for your prayers and encouragement. Have a great weekend.

KelliGirl said...

There's no place like home, and it looks like yours is blessedly awesome!

cindy said...

Isn't it great to go back home, if only for a little while.
Looks as though this was a great trip.

Cindy

Jackie said...

Beautiful post and memories, Kathleen!

You are truly blessed and YES...What a good life it is!!

HE IS FAITHFUL!!

AZ Hugs! : ))
Jackie

Susan J. Reinhardt said...

Hi Kathleen -

Whew! You had a busy and fun week.

Kole is getting cuter by the minute. Glad your other grandson is recovering, as well as Elaine.

Have a great Labor Day weekend!

Blessings,
Susan :)

a portland granny said...

Thanks for the note that we are still "on"! Your pictures are so lovely. I know being near your grandkids is wonderful for you....and them. Isn't it fun to have a baby in the famiy? We have a baby Cole also who is the apple of our eyes--so fun after no babies around for 10 years.

Here's to a cup of tea in our future.

Saleslady371 said...

So glad for these pics and wonderful updates about the family. You live in a beautiful state and since I've never been to WA, I'm hoping you will continue to teach me a lot about your surroundings!

Beth E. said...

I wish I could have joined you on that walk along Clark's Creek. So serene and beautiful!

Praying for a quick recovery for your grandson, Erik.

It's wonderful that you are living so close to your family, now, and that you're able to be an integral part of their lives. I know they must be thrilled to have you and hubby back in Washington!

Hugs...

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

Life is good; I'm have a hard time working through some pain today, but having a full table at dinner time made me exceedingly grateful for all the steps/decisions/detours it's taken us to get here to this one moment in time.

A good life. A delivered one.

peace~elaine

Andrea said...

You have certainly been busy! Praying your Grandson continues to heal and progress well.

Isn't it amazing how GOD sometimes takes us back to a place of our beginnings whether to live there or visit to speak truths to our hearts?

Blessed by this post, my friend!

Hugs,
andrea

Just a little something from Judy said...

I consider it a privilege to step into your world whether past or present, via the blog world. I enjoy seeing pictures of the NW scenery as well as friends and family of yours. I know why God lead you back. I can see from these posts. You are a vital part of life now in the NW. Grandmas are vital...right? Thank you for sharing each beautiful picture.

Shirley said...

Indeed, it is a good life. (I accidentally typed 'god' instead of good and thought that would explain it as well!!!) Beautiful surroundings you have to enjoy! I can't help but eye those sunflowers. I have heard rumor there is a farm somewhere around here that has a huge sunflower field, and I want to find it and shoot it when they're blooming!

Karen Lange said...

What a wonderful week! Thanks for sharing the photos too. Have a wonderful weekend:)
Blessings,
Karen

Sonja said...

I LOVE the Pacific Northwest! I had to chuckle, the game pictures could have been us at our grandson's game this morning, right down to the red and black, but we are the 'Hawks'...:)

Yolanda said...

I would say that you are adjusting well and staying very busy.

Love,
Yolanda

Janette@Janette's Sage said...

What a heart warming post..I can just shout, "God is Good" Just the beauty of His creation and than the beauty of His people...I love the comment you can go forward in the wisdom...that is very encouraging to me!!
Blessings...Enjoy!!!

Terri Tiffany said...

I will enjoy seeing pictures from out there as they make me think of my daughter. It is sweet that you are part of all of them again--I wish to be too someday:)

LisaShaw said...

Kathleen,

As I read this post (I pray your grandson Erik is doing well now); what came to my mind was something a special friend of mine said to me in 2004:

"create new memories..."

You have beautiful old and new memories to reflect upon. God is good!

Birthday blessings to your brother-in-law.

Beautiful family and friend photos!

Love that little one!!! :)

Love you!