Friday, September 17, 2010

Truly Life


"... take hold of the life that is truly life."
1 Timothy 6:19
.
.
A rather odd way to end a discussion, don't you think? It's certainly as enigmatic as many other passages in scripture, so I haven't labored long to figure it out.
.
Still, these nine words have danced about my musings for days on end.

In the text Paul is speaking specifically about how wealthy believers (and that's not an oxymoron) ought to live their lives. Rather than catisgate the rich ones in our midst, he affirms their unique positioning for blessing others. But Paul leaves them - and no doubt us - with a map for reaching the destination known as "truly life".
.
So where is that? What does it look like, and how do I get there? We all have life, and we all live out those lives in one way or another. How might we know if ours is truly life or not?

Now you know the reason behind my musing.
.
Why would anyone want anything less than something so rich that it's called "truly life"?
.
Perhaps a better way to approach the subject is to ask: What does a life that's NOT truly life look like?
,
Mmmm ... It's always an interesting method for finding clues: assessing what's not in order to determine what is. It helps to turn the text on end; to read the fine print on it's underside. There I find words like ...
  • arrogant; self-directed & proud
  • materialistic
  • ungodly
  • greedy
  • stingy
  • unconcerned
  • selfish
  • myopic
These attributes may be associated with matters of money in the text I've referenced, but they certainly apply to anyone, anywhere and in any situation where life that is truly life is being lived out; or NOT, as the case may be.
.
What more can we learn from the scriptural texts to help us understand what's at stake here?
.
But small is the gate and narrow the road
that leads to life, and only a few find it.
Matthew 7:14

Whoever finds his life will lose it,
and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it.
Matthew 10:39

In Him was life, and that life was the light of men.
The light shines in the darkness, but the darkness
has not understood it.
John 1:4-5
.
In the following discussion between Pooh and Piglet, we get a glimpse of how easy it is to mistakenly render one way equal to another:
.
"When you wake up in the morning, Pooh,"
said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing
you say to yourself?"

"What's for breakfast?" said Pooh.
"What do you say, Piglet?"

"I say, I wonder what's going
to happen exciting today?" said Piglet.

Pooh nodded thoughtfully.
"It's the same thing," he said.

.

While breakfast may be exciting for Pooh, it is definitely not on my list of "Truly Life Proofs"; not is it what God has in mind with His promise to give/grant such a life to those willing to receive it.

.I have come that they may have life,
and have it to the full.
John 10:10

Anything less might just be breakfast.

15 comments:

Jackie said...

Good Morning Kathleen!

I love your pondering's here!

I receive "have it to the full" living! I'm taking hold of life and with great anticipation looking to Him and wondering what's going to happen exciting today! Now that's truly living! PTL!!

Thanks for sharing!

He is faithful!!

Hugs! : ))
Jackie

Beth.. One Blessed Nana said...

we just talked about this yesterday morning at our devotion time at the comfort corner.

I just love your heart and you have such a great way of getting the scriptures to come to life!

Janette@Janette's Sage said...

Yes....!!!

RCUBEs said...

Not only is the life He offers rich and full, but eternal! So grateful I accepted it! Beautiful reflection! Blessings.

KelliGirl said...

Love the morsels to contemplate. Paul wasn't exactly a straight talker was he? While I do love breakfast, God has such a feast planned for us that far exceeds one measly meal. Embracing "truly life" was and is a great challenge for us as believers. Thanks for your inspiring words!

Grace on the Narrow Path said...

Powerful post. I am learning to live that life.
Blessings,
Bren

Karen Lange said...

Wow, this is something to think about! A good thing, though, I think, to meditate on and ponder. Love John 10:10, thanks for reminding me today. And love that photo! We've been there, and we also have the print hanging over our fireplace. Lovely example of God's creation.
Blessings,
Karen :)

Susan J. Reinhardt said...

Hi Sandy -

I think Jesus summed it up when He said that loving God with every part of you and loving your neighbor as yourself fulfilled the law and the prophets (Susan's version).

Blessings,
Susan :)

Debbie said...

I love getting inside that brain of yours Kathleen. You are a deep thinker and I love it. I so want to have life and have it to the full. I believe that no matter what's going on in our lives, there is a purpose and a lesson to learn. I know I'm learning much lately. My challenges are not being wasted but drawing me closer to Him. When I abide in Him, I can experience life. And then it doesn't really matter that what my life is like isn't what I planned. I am not alone as He is right there with me every step of the way.

You are such a blessing to me friend. Keep on writing your thoughts. I am right here listening.

Love you,
Debbie

Terri Tiffany said...

Wonderful post as always. Been wanting to ask--are you loving being back home? It sounds like it!

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

I never eat breakfast...

I'd just soon get on with my day... with life!

And I'm gaining perspective regarding just what that means for me. At 44, true living look a whole lot differently than it did for me even five years ago. Thank God for the detours that allow us to think higher.

Love you, friend. I know you're loving life in your new home. Can't wait to see some fall pictures, along with shots of the house!

peace~elaine

LisaShaw said...

Amen Kathleen! Anything less indeed would just be breakfast.

Powerful sharing of your thoughts. Leaves me with things to ponder myself.

Love you my friend. Conversation at your kitchen table must be exciting! Maybe one day...

Beverlydru said...

Hello, my friend. Your words really are like apples of gold.

Just a little something from Judy said...

I have missed my visits here. I have been given my food for thought today simply by reading through these posts. My coffee and breakfast are so important to me, but not nearly as important as the lessons God is continuing to teach me daily through many different avenues of life. He uses you my friend, to clear out my cobwebs and inspire my heart. What a blessing you are to me and to many others.

ps. did you receive my two emails?

Denise said...

Awesome post.