Thursday, September 9, 2010

A Better Hope

Can it be that there are varieties of hope, like apples, or fabrics, or flowers? Certainly we need a focal point where hope is concerned, otherwise life is in danger of becoming one dimensional and dull ... if not downright discouraging.

But are all hopes equal?

The former regulation is set aside because
it was weak and usless (for the Law made
nohting perfect); and a better hope is
introduced by which we draw near to God.
Hebrews 7:18-19
.
Because God wanted to make the unchanging
nature of His purpose very clear to the heirs
of what was promised, He confirmed it with
an oath. God did this ... so that we who have
fled to take hold of the hope offered to us may
be greatly encouraged.
.
We have this hope as an anchor for the soul -
firm and secure.
Hebrews 6:17-19
..
I like that: a hope that anchors my soul. It's poetic and peace-laden, if not a wee bit otherworldly.

It would be easy to list passage after passage centered on the subject of hope. In the scriptural text the varieties of hope are boundless, but the species never changes. It is, in context, the better hope than any and all others!

Whatever else I might place hope in (and there's plenty that I do; many of them worthy), it and they are ghastly pale in comparison to the certainties offered in this better hope. You see, the Better Hope that's framed for us, while enigmatic in some sense, is none other than Jesus.

All other ground is sinking sand.

Hope is that thing with feathers that perches
in the soul and sings the tune without words -
and never stops, at all.
~ Emily Dickinson
.
Some see a hopeless end,
while others see an endless hope.
~ Author Unknown
.
Hope is putting faith to work
when doubting would be easier.
~ Author Unknown
.

15 comments:

Janette@Janette's Sage said...

Thanks...a wonderful reminder. My hope is built on nothing less that Jesus Christ!
So easy for life to make us feel hopeless!

RCUBEs said...

Beautifully explained sister. That changes my view about the word "hope". You had brought an unexplainable excitement in my spirit as I contemplated on all of those verses and quotes...and to be reminded that this "hope" is the ultimate. Alive. And eternal! God bless.

Shirley said...

We live in a world where we need to anchor our hope in the only real hope there is: Jesus!

Merana Leigh said...

LOVE this post. Reminded too of Romans 8:24-25 ~ ...hope that is seen is no hope at all. Who hopes for what he already has? But if we hope for what we do not yet have, we wait for it patiently." Thanks for a great post! ~ Merana

Rebecca said...

Powerfully communicated!

All other ground IS sinking sand!

Saleslady371 said...

This is the second time this week that I have contemplated hope as an anchor for my soul! My hubby has a tatoo of an anchor on his forearm from Navy days and now when I see it, I'm reminded again!
Jesus lives.
Hugs,
Mary

Beth.. One Blessed Nana said...

oh, my friend, I want every kind of hope there is!!

love you so much and i thank you for always allowing God to speak through you!

Just a little something from Judy said...

This post reminded me of my dear grandma singing from her heart the wonderful old hymn, "My Hope is Built on nothing less than Jesus blood and righteousness." She lived this song. You added encouragement to my day. Thank you!

Karen Lange said...

I love that - thinking of hope as an anchor! Appreciate this post:)
Blessings,
Karen

Beth E. said...

I thought of the same hymn as Janette and Judy... :-)

A very encouraging, thought-provoking post, Sassy!

Hugs,
Beth

Susan J. Reinhardt said...

Hi Kathleen -

My pastor recently did a series on hope. It's a theme that keeps coming up. Perhaps I need to pay closer attention.

Blessings,
Susan :)

Terri Tiffany said...

Wonderful post! My hope is in Jesus and no other.

Terri Tiffany said...

Wonderful post! My hope is in Jesus and no other.

Technonana said...

My faith is built on nothing less, than Jesus Blood and Righteousness.. On Christ the Solid Rock I stand ALL other Ground is sinking sand!!
Praising the Lord, God for the HOPE we have in Christ Jesus!!
Thanks for putting these thoughts into words!!

Diana said...

Great!! Always loved to sing those words "my hope is built on nothing less than Jesus' blood and righteousness."