Monday, August 23, 2010

Exploits Versus Exploits

If you've been around my little corner of cyberspace for long, you know I'm a great fan of adventure. That's relatively new thinking for me because, you see, as a young woman I was resistant to change, even fearful of some aspects of it. I was among the play-it-safe crowd; and in reality I liked little that I (me and myself) couldn't control. Adventure was often synonymous with anxiety.

What happened between then and now I can't say with any certainty; lots of things - - and not the least of them having to do with growing in faith, and in trust.

So, when I hear a word like exploit, my heart begins to race.

Merriam tells us that it means a deed, or an act - especially a notable or heroic one. It's synonymous with feat, tour de force & stunt.

That's my kind of word; my kind of adventure!

But there's a flipside to this exploit-coin. When it ceases to be a noun - as I've indicated above - and becomes a verb, it shifts from the realm of the noble to the realm of the ignoble.

As a verb, exploit means to use or manipulate to one's own advantage.

In some books that may still represent adventure, but in mine it is anything but!

If ever you've been on the receiving end of a manipulative or exploitive maneuver, you realize just how insidious it is. It's far worse when you realize it's among your own arsenal; the one used to take advantage of this or that (or them).

Today I hope my exploits result in the leaving behind of a pinch of salt & a dose of light; and not some tell-tale sign of having used something or someone for selfish gain. Afterall, a genuinely amazing exploit will always take us along a straight course, and on firm, high ground.

The quotient for true adventure is always among the noble.

Rather, we have renounced secret and shameful ways;
we do not use deception, nor do we distort the word of God.
On the contrary, by setting forth the truth plainly we commend
ourselves to every man's conscience in the sight of God.
2 Corinthians 4:2

11 comments:

Country Wings in Phoenix said...

Good Morning Sweet Friend...
I so love this post and thank you for sharing with me.

Since my illness in May, I have not regained the voice I once had. It is quite shaky and stuttery, sometimes comes out, sometimes does not. Last week my voice was exploited as two people in my work, mocked my talking amongst themselves, and you should have heard the laughter. I heard it over a cubicle wall. Yes I was on the receiving end, and it hurt quite badly.

This week I have pulled up my big girl panties and am moving on. I had considered keeping quiet and not attempting to talk anymore. No I do not believe that is what God wants me to do. I will carry on as normal.

Thank you for the beautiful post sweet friend. You have definitely spoken to me today.

Country hugs and much love, Sherry

~*~KIMBERLY~*~ said...

What a great lesson. Thank You LORD for the reminder to seek You in my anxieties and know that You will comfort and guide me. In Jesus' name, amen.

Rebecca said...

This week the verse we are to memorize in Sunday School is Psalm 27:1. The Lord is my light and my salvation. Whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life. Of whom shall I be afraid?

I REALLY want to engage what will be the last quarter of my life with courage and purpose! God isn't finished with me yet!

Donna M. Kohlstrom said...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts today. As always, they are a blessing in my day.

Sonja said...

more good words Kathleen... stuff to think on, as usual with your postings!

I can see it all, the good ones and the not so good. You just choose better words than I do, but I do get it!! :)

Hugs to the Pacific Northwest!

"Just Me - NC Beth" said...

Such a great post!!

Thank you for sharing that with us!

~Beth

Susan J. Reinhardt said...

Hi Kathleen -

As always, a good word. Thank you.

Blessings,
Susan :)

Heart2Heart said...

Kathleen,

You are such a ray of light in a dark world and I am inspired and motivate with love each time I visit you. You are truly an amazing woman.

Love and Hugs ~ Kat

Tiffany Marcotte said...

Just one more reason I would love to move to Washington next. Knowing someone as wise as you lives there :)

KelliGirl said...

From one adventurer to another, I share your spirit...and your love of language. Good exploit exploration.

Just a little something from Judy said...

I have been with many little ones all day today and I am tired, but before I called it a day I chose to visit you here on your blog. You see I know I will always be given some great food for thought. Tonight I have been given more than I anticipated. I understand exploitation in the good and the bad sense, but you shared it more eloquently than I could have. I feel a sense of hurt underlying it all. I could be wrong, I hope I am. Thank you so much for sharing again and for blessing again. By reading the comments...you can be sure God is using you in a remarkable way...I know that for a fact. Good night!