Monday, July 26, 2010

Tutoring My Soul

Be at rest once more, O my soul,
for the Lord has been good to you.

For You, Lord, have delivered
my soul from death,
my eyes from tears,
and my foot from stumbling
that I may walk before the Lord
in the land of the living.
Psalm 116:7-8
.
It began in earnest late March. That's when we made the firm decision to pull up our Arizona roots and return them to the loamy soil of Washington State - our childhood home, as well as the roost of all three children, their spouses, and seven (+ two honorary) grandchildren.
.

With so much time to plan and organize, you'd think the actual move would come off without a hitch or a hiccup. You'd think.

Alas, no great adventure is truly memorable unless and until some drama is added. Some.

Last week, on Thursday, we began loading the moving van. From there, the addition of the aforementioned drama began, and then unfolded like this ...

  • Many of our belongings wouldn't fit on the truck so they had to be left behind. Many.
  • Upon arriving in Puyallup, the Penske truck decided to die right in the middle of one of the busiest highways - roughly 200 feet from the storage unit that was our destination.
  • Because it was a Sunday, getting service & help entailed LONG phone waits, as well as long truck-sitting until said help arrived - all the while experiencing the best and worst of people trying to maneuver around us (some waved - sincerely with one hand; or insincerely with one finger)
  • Eventually a bigger-than-believable tow truck (that could haul an airplane) showed up and got our rig off the highway.
  • For what seemed the entirety of the night, the fate of the Penske truck AND our worldly goods was in question.
  • As of today, the Penske truck WITH our worldly goods were again hauled by the mongo-tow truck to a Penske Service Center for repair.
  • Just got a call that the truck is again operational (a computer "glitch").
  • The truck cannot be unloaded until Saturday (long story; I'll spare you the details). We are officially vagabonds until then.
  • Where do you park a 26 foot truck until you can unload it?
  • I'm really glad we don't drink. I'm even more glad that we have finely honed senses of humor!

I'll close with the scripture I opened with - - the one that hit me powerfully early Sunday, long before the full drama of this particular adventure set in. It's an adventure without culmination as yet.

Be at rest, O my soul,
for the Lord has been good to you.

For You, Lord, have delivered
my soul from death, my eyes from tears,
and my foot from stumbling
that I may walk before the Lord
in the land of the living.
Psalm 116:7-8

18 comments:

Janette@Janette's Sage said...

Blessings and prayers...may the enemy not steal your joy! May this venture hold all that it was meant to hold...the preciousness of being in home soil and family! May you see God's hand at ever turn.

Susan J. Reinhardt said...

Hi Kathleen -

You have a great attitude. I don't know if I'd be quite so calm in your shoes.

Praying that you're able to get everything straightened out soon and be on your way.

Blessings,
Susan :)

Loren said...

Bless your pea-pickin hearts!!! You are right though...there has to be some sort of drama to make it memorable right!!! LOL

May the Lord continue to strengthen you and provide you with patience and Joy while you walk out the final steps of this journey to your new home!

Big hugs and prayers for you my dear friend!
Love you

Beth.. One Blessed Nana said...

oh, my... bless your sweet heart! I am so sorry that the ole devil thought he had to come along for the ride, but i pray that you kicked him to the curb for good!

love you sweet sister!

Rita said...

You can be at rest, for the Lord was with you every step of the way,through troubles and all. Glad the long haul is over and you got there. Hope it is much easier getting in and getting settled. It will be nice to be near your kiddos!

Debbie said...

Oh my Kathleen, why can't things go along smoothly like we plan? But I guess you really are on an adventure after all. I'm glad to read more details as I saw your post on Facebook.

Hang in there and know I'm still praying.

Love you,
Debbie

Sonja said...

What a picture of life!! Good thing the verse was already in your heart...

Might as well just chill and take advantage of a few days when there's nothing else to do...

Glad you're there safely!

Washington hugs from Texas!

Donna M. Kohlstrom said...

What an adventure! In these situations it's good to: breathe, laugh and be flexible!!

Hope the rest of the trip and unpacking is uneventful and soon you are nestled into your new home!

~*~KIMBERLY~*~ said...

=-O..... Dear Jesus, Father God, lift up Kathleen and her husband to You as they go through their trials of drama with this move home. I pray that You would comfort them and show them the way out as You are glorified and honored. In Jesus' name, amen.

Debbie said...

Oh dear....not much of anything we plan goes as we expect it to. I'm so glad you have managed to find the humor in it all. I can just imagine how frustrating it was to be soo close (after that long drive) and then have it die where it did. Glad it is fixed and it won't be long now. We too had soo many delays getting into this house I was truly afraid it would NEVER happen, and yet here we are 2 weeks later and all is well. Praying there are is no more drama. HUGS, Debbie

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

Oh mercy... you're so good to remind us of God's goodness in the midst of your chaos. Yes, it's probably a good thing you're not a drinking woman; otherwise, we might be hauling you off to detox right now.

Love you.

peace~elaine

Rebecca said...

Thankful that you're THERE - well, almost! Your written words speak double to me today. It's EASY to rest when things are going well. To be at peace in the middle of a muddle - well, that is GRACE!

I hold you in my prayers just now...

Grace on the Narrow Path said...

Bless you my friend. Be safe and I am praying for you right as I write this.
Blessings,
Bren

Nel said...

Bless your hearts... you are all in my prayers! You will look back on this years from now with laughter and think "what an adventure!"
until next time... nel

Saleslady371 said...

This must have been difficult and my heart goes out to you! You are incredibly strong (and adventurous!) My prayers are going up for you to get settled in soon.

Kay said...

Oh my goodness! I read this last night on my Touch and knew I had to jump on and comment this morning. Oh my word! I can't believe getting stuck in the street. I can't believe having to leave 'many' things behind either. You poor girl. Sounds like this trip has already been more than you bargained for. Hope you're able to settle in quickly. : )

LisaShaw said...

Precious friend,

I held my breath while reading...

I'm so thankful for GOD's faithfulness even when things are NOT going the way we planned. Our souls can rest in HIM no matter what.

I said a prayer for you and your husband and your new home/location.

What a treat that you'll be so close to your family once again.

Praying for you dear friend.

Janet said...

I found you on another blog. (Janette) I can't believe that! I probably shouldn't have read this post! We, too, are about to move!!

Can't wait to read more.

I'm following you!

Blessings,

Janet

www.homeward4.blogspot.com