Monday, June 28, 2010

Workin', Workin' & More Workin'

We are not here to work for God
because we have chosen to do so,
but because God has apprehended us.
~ Oswald Chambers

Oswald's direct hit greeted me today when I read the daily devotion from My Utmost for His Highest.

In truth, it's a truth that afflicts my sensibilities (or lack thereof). It's a notion I don't find easy to accept, though on the conscious level I give it my assent.

So why am I scratching my head as if to ask no one in general, and my own self in particular: Well, what am I here for if not to work for God?

It's a rhetorical question, if not a mute point as both Oswald AND the scriptures point out. Come to think of it, they're not MUTE about the distinction one bit.

However, to the man who does not work
but trusts God who justifies the wicked,
his faith is credited as righteousness.

David (Ps 32) says the same thing when he
speaks of the blessedness of the man to whom
God credits righteousness apart from works.
Romans 4:4, 6

My own designs and devices are, in yet another truth, suspect. Unless and until I'm content in whatever state I find myself, many (dare I say "all") of my designs have the look of a self-will run riot (though dressed nicely, I can assure you).

I can justify just about anything because it feels right, or because it gives me so much joy & satisfaction, or because it's so needed (I'm needed). Surely that MUST mean God's called me to do thus-and-so?!

There's a huge distinction between what we're called to do and what we advise God we'll be doing on His behalf, even though the line that separates the two is often blurred (no doubt, by my own faulty reasoning).

Just as it is said that faith without works is dead; so, too are works without faith - - the sort of faith born of reason: Faith comes by hearing the message, and the message is heard by the Word of God (Romans 10:17). (I could write a Gone With the Wind sized volume on what faith isn't, not the least of which is blind!)

I heard it said once, and it's never left me: We are not human doings, but human beings.

When I get that (and not just in intellectual assents), I'm much more content with my beingness, and a whole lot less enchanted with my doingness. Funny how the former begets the latter; but the latter rarely, if ever begets the former.

I just hate it when truth interrupts my biases.

But whatever was to my profit I now
consider loss for the sake of Christ.


What is more, I consider everything a loss

compared to the surpassing greatness of

knowing Christ Jesus my Lord,

for whose sake I have lost all things.

I consider them rubbish, that I may

gain Christ and be found in him,


not having a righteousness of my own


that comes from the law,

but that which is through faith in Christ

the righteousness that comes
from God
and is by faith.
Philippians 3:7-9

7 comments:

Heart2Heart said...

Kathleen,

What a great and thought-provoking post. Something to truly let my mind meditate on today.

Love and Hugs ~ Kat

Karen Lange said...

Yes, I agree, good food for thought:)

Saleslady371 said...

I keep reminding myself I'm connected to Him so every day I have to ask Him "I've got a great idea...is this You...because if it is not I don't want to proceed." You know where I'm going with this....no anointing in empty energy.

Janette@Janette's Sage said...

Oh, so love Oswald Chambers...he always nails me

Good post...I have been fighting this issue lately, so this gives me good meat to chew on....you seem to always hand me a good meal....

Blessings and my God continue to use you through the blog world to encourage others in Him, like you have me.
Gratefully,
Janette

Runner Mom said...

Wonderful post, Kathleen. I too love to read Chambers' work. Thank you for sharing these words...much to ponder.
Hugs!
susan

Loren said...

Oswald always gives us sooo much to think on! This book is chock full of amazing-ness and makes us dig deep!

Much Love to you!

Just a little something from Judy said...

My life was changed when I came face to face with the reality of the words on this post. For the first part of my new life I thought it was all about "doing", then after exhaustion and frustration I began to learn that it was more about "being". I found such freedom in that concept. I love how you shared this.