Friday, June 25, 2010

Where Evening Fades

So I'm driving along Alaska Street and it occurs to me it's somehow different. It took a few minutes for it to register, but it was obvious then that someone had come along, without my permission and while I was living far away, and built an island smack dab in the middle of the road. Not only has someone moved my cheese, but roads and houses. They've added parks and parkways as well.

How dare anyone mess up the way I view what was ...

Thus has been my experience these many days of visiting the home of my childhood.

That's a fact: I'm a visitor. Yet soon I'll be a resident again.

Another fact? You never really go home again, nor can you time-travel in reverse. The course of time always advances forward, as does one's way upon it. Everything is always new ...

  • New sunrise
  • New adventures
  • New opportunities
  • New grace for the day
  • New memories (or old memories refreshed as in "deja vu")
  • New information ...
  • New knowledge ...
  • New understanding and, hopefully ...
  • New wisdom
  • New visage (where DO these wrinkles come from, anyway?)
  • New life- both physical and spiritual
Just as I've come to see everything as new again, I've come to appreciate how marvelous are those things & days now old (even yesterday). I cannot travel far without recalling them, including some that were hard and hurtful. They've lost their sting now; and that's new too.

Because of the LORD's great love
we are not consumed,

for His compassions never fail.

They are new every morning;

great is Your faithfulness.

Lamentations 3:22-23

O God our Savior, the hope of
all the ends of the earth...
where morning dawns and evening fades,
You call forth songs of joy.
Psalm 65:5, 8

14 comments:

Shirl said...

Lamentations 3:22-23 is one of my very favorite verses. It has gotten me through many difficult times.

Karen Lange said...

Praying for you on this new journey, and grateful you've chosen to share about it.

I needed those scriptures this morning, thank you.
Blessings for your weekend,
Karen :)

Sonja said...

Have I ever mentioned that I love your gift of writing?? :)

This is just what I felt when we returned to California, plus everything that was still there was so much smaller than what I remembered!

This scripture fits like a glove!

Hugs!

Sonja

~*~KIMBERLY~*~ said...

Amen Kathleen. I look forward to our meeting eventually. I've watched a great many changes over time. I've felt changes as well as created the changes myself.

God bless you.

2Thinks said...

Wonderful words of Life- right here. Thank you!

I am going to pray that God will help me to look ahead for the best that is yet to come- at your suggestion.

I love that little mouse in your sidebar "God Bless my Online Friends".

My verse for today is from Zephaniah (a place I haven't spent much time) 3:17 "The Lord your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you,he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing." Isn't that wonderful? He rejoices over you and me. Ahh...I like that.

Saleslady371 said...

We learn so much about ourselves when we return "home". I remember returning to my childhood street and thinking "the house is so small!" I use to think it was big when I was little!

Have a great weekend, dear friend. I know you are enjoying your precious family.

Always praying,
Mary

Sonja said...

Kathleen:

I forgot to tell you how precious I think Kole is!! Those huge eyes have greeted me each time I come to your page. Love that little baby!

Pain to Purpose said...

Little Kole is sooo sweet!! Thank you for all your prayers for my family Kathleen!

Runner Mom said...

Hey, Kathleen! Wonderful and timely post for me! In the morning, I am taking child #1 for a college visit to my alma mater! I can't wait to see how things have changed and what still looks the same. Thank you for sharing those scriptures! I needed that word from Him tonight.
Hugs!
Susan

Susan J. Reinhardt said...

Hi Kathleen -

I feel the same way when I visit my old hometown. Last time, I got lost! They rearranged the highway and added a new exit configuration. It's a strange feeling.

Praying you'll soon adjust to the changes and enjoy your hometown once again.

Blessings,
Susan :)

Just a little something from Judy said...

On this journey we call life, it interests me how we can visit places that once we knew so well, and realize that it is not the same. The destination is not the same and neither are we. You just always know how to share it so well. I come here to read God's message on your heart, and I leave feeling so blessed and inspired. The verses you shared couldn't have tied in more perfectly. The Lamentations verse is one of my favorites.

And like was mentioned before on the comments, your little grandson's picture steals my heart every visit I make here.

Yolanda said...

Such sweetness!

I instantly thought of the scripture in Ecc where there is nothing new under the sun. So I went and here is what I found:

What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun. Ecc 1:9 NIV

With love,
Yolanda

Elizabeth Mahlou said...

I went through that, too, went I went back home a few years ago. The worst part? They made all the streets one-way. Now I have no idea how to get to where I used to go blindly! (Lots of metaphors there, huh?)

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

God is my anchor and the only "old" that feels like new everyday! How I love Him. I'd be lost without his embrace in this craziness I'm call my life right now.

peace~elaine