Friday, June 11, 2010

What a Shame About Re


From the previous post wherein I reflect on the demise of the once-great Pharaoh Amasis (and the entire Egyptian culture), I find my way to this noteworthy item: the demise of Egypt's god(s).

There were few limits to the number and kind of gods worshiped in Egypt, of that we are certain. But the god that garnered the loftiest locale was none other than Re, the sun god. The early Egyptians believed that he created the world; and the rising sun was, for them, the symbol of creation.

Where Egypt's god Re (aka Ra) is concerned that fact is particularly poignant. After-all, to have worshiped something or someone so fervently for so many decades, building an entire culture/worldview around it, and then to have it/him fall into disrepute or death is a tough pill to swallow.

What DOES one do when their god ceases to exist?

I can imagine the stark incredulity as Re's adherents cry out from antiquity: You mean my god's dead?

Re was thought to be the creator of the universe - - the original master, or lord. At some juncture he was made to share his god-ness with Egypt's king (Re's FIRST mistake), and then later with other gods, like Osiris.

What was he thinking?

Though Re lived on in various forms into the Greco-Roman period, his worship gradually deteriorated during the fist millennium. This decline was probably due to the weakening of the kingship under various foreign rulers; and while he continued to be a part of Egyptian theology, he was no longer a part of the peoples living faith.

This god, and all like him, fell out of favor. Seems people like their gods to stay in step with the times!

Don't those gods realize if they're created they can be un-created?

What a shame about Re. To have been god, and then to fall into the same Netherworld you once ruled is terribly disconcerting.


So do not be ashamed to testify
about our Lord ... Who has saved us
and called us to a holy life—
not because of anything we have done
but because of His own purpose and grace.
This grace was given us in
Christ Jesus before the beginning of time,
but it has now been revealed through
the appearing of our Savior, Christ Jesus,
who has destroyed death and
has brought life and immortality
to light through the gospel.
2 Timothy 1:8-10


15 comments:

Diana said...

Good morning. We know our God Is alive! Have a great weekend.

Shirl said...

Aren't we seeing this today? The 'gods' many have worshipped--power, fame, money--are crumbling right before their eyes.

But the ONE, true LIVING God still reigns!!!

RCUBEs said...

People love to put their hope and trust in man-made images rather than God. I'm grateful He found me [us]. Because we believe not by seeing but by faith. Things that we see and touch will not bring us any security than God. I'm glad we serve a God Who is eternal. Blessings and have a great weekend sister! You've really done a good digging here! :) But that's okay, your thirst being replenished by the Living Water! Glory to God!

Aliene said...

I love the study of the Egyptian culture and gods. I taught on the
plaques of the Egyptians and in studying I learned that each plagued
represented a different god of the Egyptians. Interesting Study. So glad we have a God that is alive and on His throne.

Heart2Heart said...

Kathleen,

Great post! Just goes to show that while other gods may fail and never quite measure up to what the people wanted them to, our God continues to bless and amazes us each and ever day.

Love and Hugs ~ Kat

Karen Lange said...

Life through the gospel - I'll take that! Have a wonderful weekend:)
Blessings,
Karen

Sonja said...

Those man made gods were and are doomed from the start, aren't they? Oh how glad I am that 'Jesus Christ is the same, yesterday, today and forever!'...

Great reminder Kathleen!

Hugs!

Debbie said...

Oh yes, there's only one true living God Almighty. And He is the One I worship only.

You are a great teacher Kathleen!

Btw, I loved hearing about Terry hearing George W. Bush. Greg and I attended a dinner while he was President and got to shake his hand and I told him that I prayed for him daily. :) He's such a gracious man.

Love you friend,
Debbie

P.S. Enjoy that little grandbaby!

Susan J. Reinhardt said...

Hi Kathleen -

There are a lot of imposters, but only One who is the real deal.

Blessings,
Susan :)

Pat's Place said...

I am so glad that I believe in a God who cannot be "un-created." Whew! What a relief!

Beth.. One Blessed Nana said...

oh, so thankful that we serve a living God who can!!

Just a little something from Judy said...

In my study of the books of Genesis and Exodus I began to realize the great importance the people put on their gods. I can't imagine the devastation they felt when their god ceased to be. Today, as I watch and listen to the happenings of our world I see the same thing, the people's gods are slowly dying. This too is causing heart devastation like I have not personally observed in my lifetime.

Oh, the comfort it brings to me to read verses like Malachi 3:6, "I am the Lord, I change not".

Ra, and others cease to exist. We serve a living God. Another great post!

"Just Me - NC Beth" said...

What's so sad is that there are still millions of people who still have their faith and belief in "gods".....and it's up to us to share the Good News of Jesus Christ to those that don't know Him as their Saviour.

Great post!!

~Beth

Tammy@If Meadows Speak... said...

Thank Goodness our God lives! It's a sad state to be in a religion where your god may have an expiration date or time.

Ps. I love your new look on the blog! I've been in and out but in lurk-er mode. I'm getting back at it.

Carla Gade said...

I enjoy these interesting posts!