Sunday, June 6, 2010

Packing Wisdom


These days find me rummaging through cupboards & drawers, closets & crannies - even as my house and garage abound with boxes. All this in preparation for the move to come.

It strikes me odd, this decision-making effort to distinguish between what's valuable enough to make the move and what's not.

Among the "what's not"s are items too worthy to send to the dumpster; items that will be useful or needful to someone else. So another level of decision-making runs parallel to the first one. Do I sell these worthy things at auction? Do I post them on Craig's List? Do I give them away to someone in need? Do I haul them to Goodwill?

It's equally odd to me how many times a day I utter, either silently or aloud: Lord, help me with this. I need Your wisdom here.

Why wisdom? Why not decisiveness, or prudence, or humility, or some other characteristic?

Truth be told, little of what I've packed, and none of what I've relinquished makes my life or home livable, or lovable. Keeping that fact in mind requires wisdom which, in turn, provides much needed equilibrium. Otherwise sentiment (not bad thing) or greed (a bad thing) rule the sorting process. In fact, sorting between those two requires a bucket of wisdom as well!

Besides, wisdom encompasses discernment, perspective, humility, and the like. Pack wisdom, and you've packed it all!

One day soon, as I unpack on the other end, I'll have a better sense of how much wisdom I actually packed into today's sorting process.

Mmmmm ... it seems to me that such a context works not only in this life, but in the life hereafter as well.

Lord, help me with this. I need Your wisdom here!

Blessed is the man who finds wisdom,
the man who gains understanding,

for she is more profitable than silver
and yields better returns than gold.

... The wise inherit honor

Proverbs 3:13-14, 35

Christ - in Whom are hidden all
the treasures of wisdom and knowledge.

2 Colossians 2:3

If any of you lacks wisdom,
he should ask God, who gives generously
to all without finding fault,
and it will be given to him.
James 1:5

14 comments:

~*~KIMBERLY~*~ said...

Very interesting Kathleen. I know what you mean here. Gaining wisdom & decisiveness and discernment using truth takes a lot of focusing on the LORD. Praise HIM!

Just a little something from Judy said...

It has taken me many years to realize how crucial "wisdom" is in my living. The more I see of this great gift God has offered to us, the more I long for it in my daily life. The best part of all, is that it is free. I used to think it was only reserved for the "big" decisions in my life. The older I get, the more I see the necessity of it for every decision. I like how you related it to packing for a move. Wish you the best in this life changing endeavor of yours.

Karen Lange said...

Congrats on the new little one! What a sweet little guy:)

I like the parallels you highlight here. We need wisdom for every aspect of our lives, right down to cleaning out closets.

Blessings to you and your readers,
Karen

Debbie said...

You know Kathleen, when I think of you one of the words that comes to my mind is ...wisdom.

So I think the Lord must be giving you plenty of that lately.

Love you,
Debbie

Linda said...

Very insightful. I need His wisdom in everything; sometimes I forget that. Thank you for the reminder.

manthano said...

Been through it.
Still going through it.
My prayers are with you.

Rita said...

It's only been two years since we moved and I remember going through the same process. What do I keep, what do I get rid of? Well, I brought too much and am still trying to get rid of! I find as I get older, I don't want as much "stuff" to deal with, so I too am asking Him to give me wisdom in sorting through. Happy packing! I hope the move goes ever so smoothly!

Beth E. said...

"Truth be told, little of what I've packed, and none of what I've relinquished makes my life or home livable, or lovable. "

I dunno, Sassy...I think that packing toilet paper would definitely make one's life more livable AND help to make that person more lovable (Sorry. I don't know what came over me!) ;-)

Seriously...there's a great nugget of wisdom in what you've written here. Thank you for sharing that wisdom with us.

Love you,
Beth

LisaShaw said...

Kathleen,

I have to echo Debbie as that's what I thought as I read this that the word that comes to my mind for you is WISDOM.

Thank you for sharing yourself in a way that blesses me and makes me draw closer to GOD.

Praying for you and I love you!

"Just Me - NC Beth" said...

I think this post spoke volumes in reflecting your "wisdom"....loved that even in packing, you were asking the Lord to give you wisdom as to what to do!!

He never fails!

~Beth

Andrea said...

Thank you for your prayers, encouragement, and support. Wisdom and discernment are vital!

Blessings,
andrea

Susan J. Reinhardt said...

Hi Kathleen -

Beautiful new grandbaby! Congratulations!

I tend to get sentimental about certain items, especially things my late husband gave me or from my family of origin. I've had to relinquish a lot of possessions over the past several years. I found the memories are in my heart not in the stuff.

Blessings,
Susan :)

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

Sentiment and greed have long left my process over here... you can have it all. I'm so unattached to my stuff right now I need wisdom regarding the "keeping" because, if I'm not careful, I may have some regrets down the road regarding the "letting go."

I have a friend who is a traveling missionary of sorts. She moves from mission to mission, staying months at a time in one place, helping as she can. She's retired so she can well-float! She also carries everything of importance with her in her small car. If it doesn't fit in there, it doesn't go with her.

I think there's a lesson in all of that for me, and I imagine that on the backside of all of this, I'll get there. I'm just not there yet.

peace~elaine

elizabeth said...

A very wise post - so glad I happened by your Sassy spot on the web. :)