Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Lessons from the Desert

Never is there a day that we desert-dwellers needn't be on the lookout for the desert creatures that inhabit this land. They were here first, so it's apparent they have no intention of moving over to make room.

I've lived in the Phoenix area for ten years now. In all that time I'd never seen a Black Widow spider, a scorpion, or even a rattlesnake until recent years. But they were here.

I've learned a little bit about snake behavior - - which is a WHOLE LOT more than I even cared to. Even so, it's prudent to know what lurks. You just never know when you might meet up with the lurker.

I now understand that rattlesnakes are particularly unpleasant (and aggressive) in the summer when they're courting, and again in the late fall when they're hungry & getting ready for a more dormant existence.

It's bad enough to come upon one all stretched out on a golf-cart path, road or sidewalk where they languish to absorb the warmth of the asphalt. But it's an altogether different matter to come upon one in it's coiled position, or when it's wound tightly into a bush or shrub (I didn't know they did that!!).

Rattlers aren't interested in striking anything they can't eat, so - most of the time, anyway - they're polite enough to rattle their tales in warning. It pays to have a listening ear at a time such at this.

Furthermore, it's a fact: there's no such thing as a rattlesnake whisperer!

So, as I sauntered along this morning with both eyes and ears alert, another of life's lessons attended my steps.

If it's prudent to beware of what danger lurks in the physical world, it is equally prudent t.o beware of dangers on all paths - especially those spiritual in form & context. Just because I feel safe doesn't mean I can take my ease. Nor does it mean I need to go out, or return with fear.

On July 24 I'll leave the desert for the rainforest of the Pacific Northwest. The life lessons won't change with the climate, for the lurkers continue to lurk.

Above all else, guard your heart,
for it is the wellspring of life.

Let your eyes look straight ahead,
fix your gaze directly before you.

Make level paths for your feet
and take only ways that are firm.

Do not swerve to the right or the left;
keep your foot from evil.

Proverbs 4:23, 25-27

16 comments:

Yolanda said...

I just wrote about getting prepared, and then came to your blog. It speaks VOLUMES.

With love,
Yolanda

RCUBEs said...

One time, I floated to one of our jails, only to find a small rattlesnake rattling on staff's pathway to go inside the facility. I called and dared not to start my shift if a deputy or someone would not get this snake out of my way. I didn't care if it was little.

When the Lord had me witness a spiritual battle in my family, it's even harder that you can't see the spiritual enemy. But the manifestations were there. But I'm going to always glorify the Name "Jesus" that upon hearing this Wonderful Name, the enemies retreated and couldn't seem to advance with what harm they wanted done.

My hubby and I thought of moving to Washington State, but it didn't happen. Then we knew it wasn't God's plan/will. There is no safe place as they say but I'm glad our Shield is always with us, guiding us, keeping us safe and away from harm's way. And in those barrage of spiritual darts, He gave us His Armor.

Praying God's blessings upon you sister Kathleen as you head back to PNW. May His Holy Blood and angels cover and surround you wherever you go.

Psalm 121:1-8
I lift up my eyes to the hills— where does my help come from? My help comes from the LORD, the Maker of heaven and earth. He will not let your foot slip—he who watches over you will not slumber; indeed, he who watches over Israel will neither slumber nor sleep. The LORD watches over you—the LORD is your shade at your right hand; the sun will not harm you by day, nor the moon by night. The LORD will keep you from all harm—he will watch over your life; the LORD will watch over your coming and going both now and forevermore.

Angel said...

Wow, I didn't know all that about Rattle Snacks, kind of scary!! We are actually going to be passing through Pheonix at the end of July. I am excited, I have never been to Arizona!! You do have me a little freaked out about the snakes though, LOL

I love the Proverb, we do always have to be aware!!

Love and Blessings

Karen Lange said...

Good things to be aware of in the physical and supernatural worlds. Good post, thanks so much. Will be praying for you on your new journey.
Blessings,
Karen

Rosezilla said...

Well said. We have a lot of snakes here as well and it pays to pay attention. It is equally true in our spiritual lives.

~*~KIMBERLY~*~ said...

Great life lesson.. Thank You Lord!

Just a little something from Judy said...

Sadly, in recent years I have observed first hand cases where friends were caught totally off guard by the enemy that lurked around them. There is a false assurance that is part of daily life, and then when the enemy strikes, he does so to devour, and they become a victim. I really like how God gives you the insights to share real life illustrations in sharing God and His ways. I won't forget this particular story. Are you looking forward to trading the dessert for the Northwest climate? Thinking of you so much lately. God never called me to make such a drastic move.

LisaShaw said...

...and I love your new blog design!

LisaShaw said...

My dear friend, I miss my visits with you more often but so much to spread myself through so I pace myself...but I miss you!

I'm praying for you! As I read this two words came to mind:

Prayer and preparation.

I had to sit on this paragraph and re-read it again:

"If it's prudent to beware of what danger lurks in the physical world, it is equally prudent t.o beware of dangers on all paths - especially those spiritual in form & context. Just because I feel safe doesn't mean I can take my ease. Nor does it mean I need to go out, or return with fear."

That para. above said it all!

Keeping you lifted up and your family! Love you my friend.

Debbie said...

I have to say that above anything else; I HATE SNAKES!

We had one on our back patio a few years ago. I was so scared that I called a special service that came and used a long pole to wind the snake onto and take him out to a deserrted desert area. As long as he wasn't in my yard, I was fine. :)

It's just like you to find a spiritual lesson in this. I love that about you Kathleen.

I suddenly felt so sad as I read your actual date of departure from AZ. I'm going to miss seeing your face in person. I will email you but I have to have another dose of Sassy before then.

Love you,
Debbie

Janette@Janette's Sage said...

Yes and Amen...grew up with rattlers so know them, what a visual for me today.
I always drink deeply from the well that the Lord waters you with...thanks for giving out that water,
Janette

Runner Mom said...

Great lesson, sweet friend! But that picture made my skin crawl!! Mercy!

I pray that your move will be so very blessed! Your blog is such a blessing to me and many others!

Hugs!
Susan

Beth.. One Blessed Nana said...

oh, snakes are just the most evil looking things! I do not like them at all.

But - i sure enjoyed this post. you always seem to speak something that i need to hear.

love to you my friend,
Beth

Susan J. Reinhardt said...

Hi Kathleen -

I don't like snakes even when they're encased in a zoo display. A desert environment is not for me.

Thanks for the reminder to look out for both the natural and spiritual snakes. (I don't like those either.)

Blessings,
Susan

Jackie said...

Great post Kathleen! Your words always speak to my heart!

Sorry I didn't meet you while living in AZ. Praying that your next season in the Pacific NW will be blessed beyond measure.

He is Faithful!
Jackie

Rita said...

Oh that we can make level those paths that our feet take and stand firm with the One who created all creatures and who keeps His eye on our wellbeing. I'm so thankful for Him. I hope He makes you very content with your new place of residence. Our kids have just moved and they seem so happy where they are. I'm thankful.