Sunday, May 2, 2010

Standing Before the Wind

The LORD said, "Go out and stand
on the mountain in the presence of the LORD,
for the LORD is about to pass by."

Then a great and powerful wind
tore the mountains apart and
shattered the rocks before the LORD,
but the LORD was not in the wind.
After the wind there was an earthquake,
but the LORD was not in the earthquake.

After the earthquake came a fire,
but the LORD was not in the fire.
And after the fire came a gentle whisper.

1 Kings 19:11-12

Years ago, when the children were young and money was scarce, we often spent our vacations with my husband's parents. They had a spacious waterfront home on Whidbey Island, and a rustic beach retreat in the San Juan Islands - both locales in, or acquainted with WA State, and only a few hour's drive from our home.

The memories of those days are vivid and kind. They conjure up images of curious children at play; play that included turning over every single rock they could manage to lift, just to see what treasure lay beneath it. Many a downright, hideously ugly pretty rock found it's way to pockets and, eventually, to my wash machine. Innocent babes slept soundly following a day of such adventure, ever-ready the next day to do it all again, as if for the first time.


Perhaps, though, my most vivid recollection is of the five of us lined up, arm-in-arm, to stand before the assault of the raging sea winds. They made their way just ahead of a storm; and then they'd crescendo to a warp-force as the storm brewed to it's intended fervor. I can still hear their laughter and ours, uncertain as to who among us was the most childlike on those occasions.



Today the wind again comes to mind as I recall it's gentle, soothing force. I also recall the power of it's fierce gale; a gale that, at times, I thought I'd not withstand - - many of them summoned by my own call, often unwittingly.

... (My people) rejected what is good ...
They set up kings without my consent;

they choose princes without my approval.
... they make idols for themselves
to their own destruction.

"They sow the wind and reap the whirlwind.

Hosea 8:4, 7


Even so, I can look back to those days upon the windy shores, when apprehensive but giggly children were in tow. And just as we stood clutching them tightly lest they fall prey to the wind's harmful power, so too does my Father (and yours) clutch us ... His gentle whisper ever a reminder that no wind, and certainly no storm - regardless of it's origins - can blow us from His safe grip.

When the whirlwind passes by,

the wicked is no more,

But the righteous has an everlasting foundation.

Proverbs 10:25

17 comments:

Debbie said...

Oh my goodness, I LOVE this..It is just soo true. We can count on the winds and storms of life to come for sure, but how much more can we count on Him to hold on to us and whisper His word and His comfort to us. I have been hearing your name through blogland (Debbie @ Heart Choices for one) and decided to come meet you for myself. Soo glad I did. = ) Have a wonderful Sunday...BLESSINGS, Debbie

Debbie said...

When we depend on self, how scary those winds are. But when we rest in Him, what a difference. Not my strength to withstand but His presence in me to strengthen, protect and sustain me.

Kathleen, what a great example you provided to drive home this truth.

Hugs and love,
Debbie

Melinda said...

I'm not sure I can adequately express how much I love this post! But, rest assured that TOTALLY GET IT.

Oh, the reliable, strong arms of our God!

Hugs,
Melinda

LisaShaw said...

Amen and Amen Kathleen...this drew tears. It speaks the words of my heart. I love and appreciate you!

NanaNor's said...

Dearest Kathleen, What a powerful post-thank you. When the winds here get to bad and I remember our tornado two years ago, I also remember who makes the winds and controls our world-it is our Father and I then relax that He is certainly taking care of me.
Hugs, Noreen

Beverlydru said...

I always enjoyt stopping by and visiting with you. It's been super windy this weekend so I've been pondering how the Lord speaks through the wind. How interesting to read this today. Have a blessed week!

Janette Wright said...

All I needed to read was your title and I was caught! Before I could get to your blog the Lord was speaking in His whisper to me...than I got here to read...more speaking. Thanks...through your post I could hear his gentle voice to me today,
Janette

manthano said...

Thanks for the post. And thank God
for holding us in the winds of life
while we wait for the quiet gentle
voice. May God continue to bless
your blog.

Rita said...

Thank the Lord that nothing can take us out of His arms!

Karen Lange said...

This is truly something to be thankful for.
Thanks for sharing this.
Blessings,
Karen

Beth.. One Blessed Nana said...

Always a refreshing word from you sweet Kathleen. Thanks for this today.

~*~KIMBERLY~*~ said...

Thank You LORD for Your powerful reminders. Thank You for putting Kathleen in my path. I pray for blessings on you and your family Kathleen. Praise God!

"Just Me - NC Beth" said...

Oh, I loved this!! That assurance we have that our Father clutches us...

~Beth

Barbara said...

Amen what a powerful post, I just loved it, and may we see the mighty hand of God as the wind, after all he makes the wind blow, and rain fall, amen..Great post my new found friend, love your blog, lots of hugs, Barbara from
http://bakinnbitsbarbara.blogspot.com/

Rose said...

Kathleen, what a beautiful post. I just love it. Thank you for the reminder that NOTHING can separate us from the love of God.

Caleb & Sol (www.calebandsol.com) said...

What sweet, encouraging words! Thank you for your devotion to Jesus!

-Sol

Just a little something from Judy said...

How very thankful I am for the many times in my life, when the storms seem so fierce, and His calming and powerful pressence holds me. I love this post. I know the storms, and I know the panic that takes grip...but then I've experienced the PEACE that can be found and the still quiet voice that I hear. Well illustrated my friend.