Saturday, May 8, 2010

Mother's Day

Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting;
but a woman who fears the LORD
is to be praised.
Give her the reward she has earned,

and let her works bring her
praise at the city gate.
Proverbs 41-30-31


Born Helen Evelyn Grinnell on August 26, 1907, my mother was anything but typical.

Oh, you can be sure she enjoyed all things prissy - frilly dresses, fancy "do"s, and the like - but she also had an eye for the adventurous.

She was a bold & courageous woman, though such sturdy attributes were often shaded by her tendency towards fretting, and the fact that her tongue was sometimes sharp.

From her young years on a farm in South Dakota, to her making her own way to Washington State (where providentially she met and married my father), mother was first-and-foremost a "lady".

I cannot recall her memory, or honor her motherhood without somehow linking her to her young years. She was a much-beloved child, and so it is no wonder that we - her four daughters - were equally beloved.

Too, mother was every bit my father's equal. Certainly they had diverse roles in the family, but she never missed an opportunity to join him in fly-fishing, berry picking, yard puttering, or basement chores. His workbench could be seen just feet from her laundry sink. Often they spent their evenings together attending to their respective chores; and every Saturday night you'd find them watching Lawrence Welk together; snuggled closely and munching popcorn. Oh how they loved to dance! I am the youngest of Helen's four daughters. While my sisters leaned strongly on their bonds to our father, my own formed closest to my mother. Perhaps that's because I was unplanned, unexpected, but never unwanted (as was my own youngest) - the child of their mid-40s; mother 42 and Dad 46 when I arrived.

(I can't help but notice the resemblance in this picture of me at 6 mos, and the one of her above at the same age.)

She's gone now, leaving us in 1976 for a better land. I'll see her again; of that I'm certain. She loved her Jesus, and he well-worn Bible the most enduring of her legacies. I will tell her, then, all those things I forget or neglected to say while she was nearest my hands, or I in her arms.

Today I simply wish to honor her, to rise up and call her blessed. Her worth, to me, is far above rubies!


A mother is a person who,
seeing there are only four pieces of pie
for five people, promptly announces
she never did care for pie.
~Tenneva Jordan

23 comments:

Shirl said...

Beautiful tribute!!! And she was a beautiful lady!!! So is her daughter!

Karen Lange said...

What a wonderful legacy she left in you:) Thank you for sharing this; what a wonderful woman to have as a role model.
Happy Mother's Day,
Karen

Janette@Janette's Sage said...

Beautiful...love the pictures, so much like my mother-in-law's pictures, she will be 95 this year.
I was also blessed by the timing of your birth...since our last was at age 45 and 51...God is so faithful and so knows what he is doing.

Enjoyed reading your legacy,
Blessings and Happy Mother's Day to you!
Janette

Sheryl said...

what a beautiful tribute. and what a beautiful legacy YOU are to her life!!

happy mother's day, my friend. you are loved!

~*~KIMBERLY~*~ said...

Very Nice! Happy Mother's Day!

Sonja said...

well you must know, the tears are just flowing here... this could be my mother as well as your mother... oh how thankful I am today, for the heritage you and I share. I think God knew we needed THIS kind of mother!!

This was priceless Kathleen!

Love and Happy Mothers Day!

Sonja

LisaShaw said...

Kathleen,

What an absolutely beautiful sharing of your heart for your Mother. You can see she was a lady, a woman who could both fancy up and get dirty when necessary! Love it!!! I had to smile in what you shared about their Saturday nights. That's me and my hubby but of course not with Lawrence Welk but often with a good sharing of the WORD together.

Thank you for sharing the blessing of your Mother with us. I love you and Happy Mother's Day to you.

One day it will be your children writing/speaking so highly of you and all that you mean to their lives. What a legacy your life shall leave to honor the LORD BUT FOR NOW...you have MUCH more living to do my friend here and lives to touch (your family and beyond) and I'm glad to have known you thus far through the computer screen but with a heart that feels well connected in Christ our LORD. Love ya.

Happy Mother's Day!

Just a little something from Judy said...

This is an enjoyable look into a part of your life that I am unfamiliar with. It helps me understand why you are the special, gracious lady that you are. What a lady she was! I just know that she would be so grateful for the women that you and your sisters turned out to be.

The quote that you shared, I read for the first time and thought to myself, "what a perfect way to describe my mother." I smiled when I read that you shared it.

Hope you have a wonderful Mother's Day!

Susan J. Reinhardt said...

Hi Kathleen -

Thank you for this beautiful tribute to your Mom. I'm blessed to still have my own Mom and will celebrate with her tomorrow.

Happy Mother's Day!

Susan

cindy said...

Wow! How beautiful is this post. I leave speechless and crying.

Mary Ann said...

What a beautiful tribute! Thank you for sharing! Have a wonderful Mother's Day!

God bless,
Mary Ann

RCUBEs said...

Those pictures of your mom are so precious and thank you for sharing them with us. I agree with the resemblance between your baby pic and hers. Wow!!!

I'm grateful that the Lord has given us that wonderful gift of mothers. Truly far more worth than rubies and other gems!!!

Happy Mother's Day to you sister and God bless you always. You always inspire, amuse, make us think deeply and learn and be encouraged. Thank you.

Nel said...

What a beautiful tribute to your momma! Your baby pictures do favor! Thanks for sharing. I hope you have a wonderful Mother's Day!

until next time... nel

Debbie said...

Kathleen, what a beautiful tribute to your mom!

She was beautiful ...just like you.

I am going to miss you when you move back to Seattle. But I have to say how grateful I am to have the privilege of knowing you and meeting you in person. I know our friendship will continue though.

Love you and happy Mother's Day!

Debbie

Debbie said...

what a beautiful tribute to your mom...How blessed you were...HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY.. HUGS, Debbie

"Just Me - NC Beth" said...

How special your mother was....it is evident in the tribute of her!

Blessings on you and Happy Mother's Day!

~Beth

Saleslady371 said...

What a lovely Mother's Day Tribute to your mom. I enjoyed the photos. Beautiful wedding photo. Beautifully written. Wednesday is almost here. Can't wait to see you. One of us better have a camera.

Hugs,
Mary

Melinda said...

Darling friend...I always adore when you write of your family, as the love of your heart seems to be the ink flowing from your pen. I glanced through the pics first, before reading, and was delighted at your mention of the resemblance between you both as babies...I noticed the same thing immediately! And, that picture of her fishing tells me exactly from where your "sassy" comes. :o)

Thanks for sharing these sweet memories...Happy Mother's Day my friend!

Melinda

Mrs.B said...

I was just glancing at the differenet spiritual blogs and I most say that your tribute to your mother is very beautiful and graceful.

Rebecca said...

How beautifully you stated your appreciation for your wonderful mother! The photos show her to be the "lady" that she was. May your memories of her inspire you and keep you thankful as you continue to live out a life of faithfulness and love for Jesus.

Rita said...

What a lovely tribute to your mom. I too no longer have mine here on this earth. God bless godly mothers and may your Mother's Day be a very happy one.

Patrina said...

That was precious, Kathleen. I loved the way you honored her...and her relationship with your father. Mother's are forever! Even in death, their presence is still so overwhelmingly KNOWN.

Happy belated Mother's Day!

God bless you with an extended week of Godly FAVOR!

Patrina <")>><
His watchman on the wall

Beth E. said...

What a beautiful, sweet tribute to your mother. Her pictures are beautiful, and her story inspiring. You come from good stock, Sassy!

Hope you had a wonderful Mother's Day!

Love,
Beth