Monday, May 24, 2010

Got Awe?

Consider then and realize how evil
and bitter it is for you
when you forsake
the LORD your God
and have
no awe of me,"

declares the Lord, the LORD Almighty.
Long ago you broke off your yoke
and tore off your bonds;
you said,
'I will not serve you!'

Jeremiah 2:19-20


There are probably few among us that have not heard of God in the context of His awesomeness, whether believer or unbeliever. Indeed, our language is dotted with the term, not to mention the Biblical texts, where many and varied placements tell us that the object of our awe is worthy of being labeled awesome.

So what, exactly, is awe? And what, pray tell, is the downside of not having any, or having it for the wrong object(s)?


Merriam defines awe as a noun that means: emotion variously combining dread, veneration, and wonder that is inspired by authority or by the sacred or sublime.

He also says that it's a transitive verb that means: to inspire with awe.

Therefore, someone or something that has the power to summon such a visceral reaction would thus be awesome. I only hope, for me, it's a designation I fully understand and relegate to God, even though I use the term to describe so many other things.

In the God-sense, without awe, one steps decidedly upon a path that leads away from trust and obedience, carrying with them suitcases filled with reverence and longing for some lessor god. The destination is always unknown, no matter our claims otherwise. It's noted with certain mile-markers along the way; mile-markers that always begin with: My way to ...

I believe it's safe to say that we yoke ourselves to whatever it or who we're in awe of.

With awe, we can (if we will) stand amazed at the wonder of God's power, or the mystery of His love. It's both a humbling and exhilarating condition, and it summons both dread of and a longing for The Most High God - - the One and Only God that stoops to meet us where we are.

It is the condition of standing willingly - and stock-still - while His yoke is laid gently on the one who's awed by the Most Awesome.

Much dreaming and many words are meaningless.
Therefore stand in awe of God.
Ecclesiastes 5:7

Dominion and awe belong to God;
He establishes order in the heights of heaven.
Job 25:2


My flesh trembles in fear of You;

I stand in
awe of Your laws.
Psalm 119:120

"Come to me,
all you who are weary
and burdened,
and I will give you rest.


Take my yoke upon you and

learn from me,

for I am gentle and

humble in heart,
and you will find rest
for your souls.


For my yoke is easy
and
my burden is light."
Matthew 11:28-30

18 comments:

LisaShaw said...

Kathleen,

What a message for me to read as I return from 11 days off line. I'm in AWE of the way the Holy Spirit uses you to express the AWEsomeness of our GOD!!!

You said it all here: "...awesome. I only hope, for me, it's a designation I fully understand and relegate to God, even though I use the term to describe so many other things."


My love to you. I stand in awe of our amazing and awesome GOD who can't even be described properly in 'human' words. He's just that awesome!

Diana said...

Standing in awe of His promises!!!

~*~KIMBERLY~*~ said...

Kathleen.... Praise God for allowing you to share this with us.

HE is AWEsome beyond my comprehension. Praise HIS Holy Name!

RCUBEs said...

The Greatest And Mightiest, Most Powerful living God...yet the most faithful and loving God to all. I am in awe of His nature. I pray that I fully grasp that since being humans, we are limited. God's sweet blessings be on you Sassy!

christy rose said...

I believe with all of my heart that we have not even begun to experience the "awe" that is to come as God reveals Himself more and more clearly to us as the time for His return gets nearer and nearer. I stand in "awe" more every day that He continues to remain faithful to me despite my inability to trust Him in so many ways.

Debbie said...

A good reminder as we start a new week. He is awesome beyond description. I think today many people think of Jesus as their friend. He is full of grace and mercy but He is so much more. I believe a reverential fear is something that often has been lost. God is so much bigger than we can comprehend.

How thankful I am that He allows and loves us to come to know Him.

I hope you had a wonderful trip this past week. Will you be posting any photos? I've missed you.

Love you,
Debbie

Janette@Janette's Sage said...

Yes and Yes and Yes!!!
What an awesome God we serve...
Janette

Angel said...

Great word!! He is way more awesome than anything we can imagine or comprehend. It reminds me of the "How Great is our God" dvd I posted about last week. Love and Blessings

Heart2Heart said...

Kathleen,

This is a message I heard on Joyce Meyers yesterday about how we get so focused on things we don't see the AWE God is doing everyday. We see them now as coincidences and go back to focusing on the problems in our lives. We need to start a journal of recording the answers to prayer and the little things God shows us everyday. We all need those reminders.

Love and Hugs ~ Kat

Susan J. Reinhardt said...

Hi Kathleen -

Great post!

One of my teachers in Bible School always had a problem with people describing things as "awesome." He said the only one deserving that designation was God.

How was the conference? Are we going to get an update?

Blessings,
Susan :)

Sonja said...

Kathleen:

I've missed you too! I trust your trip was wonderful.

AWE... this was so good.

This really caught my attention... "In the God-sense, without awe, one steps decidedly upon a path that leads away from trust and obedience, carrying with them suitcases filled with reverence and longing for some lessor god."...

What a perfect way to express what can happen when we forget just WHO He is!

I'm so glad you're back!!

HA! The word verification is 'ablesser'... that's you!

Andrea said...

I have an urgent prayer request at arise 2 write.
andrea

Karen Lange said...

You always make me think! This is a good thing and I'm sorry if I'm repeating myself, but it's true:) As always, thanks for sharing your thoughts with us. You are a blessing!

Saleslady371 said...

I didn't realize AWE was in the Bible so much! Great word of encouragement! Love you, Kathleen, and appreciate all your kind words over us and prayers. Hope you can feel mine.

Hugs,
Mary

Rose said...

Kathleen, awesome post about our AWESOME God!

Terri Tiffany said...

How awesome is our God. I know I let days spin by without remembering is awesome ways. You gave some really good scripture. Thank you. Glad you are home:)

Just a little something from Judy said...

I missed you too. I hope you had a wonderful time.

As for this post on "Awe"...two things come to my mind. My mother told all of her children and grandchildren that she would like if they stopped using the word "awesome" except if they were talking about their God. She said He is the only one that word should be used for. They catch themselves, but generally that is her wish. Fits in perfectly with what you shared. Secondly, I just finished a four month study on the attributes of God...and total "awe" is the word that fits in describing my God and Saviour, Jesus Christ. This was an excellent post!

Heart2Heart said...

Kathleen,

Please help me spread the word of a sister in Christ who so desperately needs help with a limited amount of time left.

http://godsheart-heart2heart.blogspot.com/2010/05/urgent-prayer-request.html

Love and Hugs ~ Kat