Saturday, May 29, 2010

Amazing Hybrids


Incredibly bizarre or mysteriously beautiful, hybrids can be seen across the landscape of our human experience. Most notably we find them in our gardens.

Years ago, hubby Terry was smitten with the beauty of hybrid roses. Slowly, and with intentional stealth, he dotted our yard with a wide array of Jackson & Perkins offerings.

Here's the deal: Hybrids cannot reproduce, and they have no scent.

I know you know that, but for some odd reason this fact assaulted my spiritual senses this week. It occurred to me that, no matter how beautiful or weird, hybrids are short-lived creatures. Their mystery resides in, & revels at the composite DNA that makes for their existence.

Merriam tells us that hybrids are: 1 : an offspring of two animals or plants of different races, breeds, varieties, species, or genera, or 2 : a person whose background is a blend of two diverse cultures or traditions

In the realm of nature, not all bad.

In the realm of the spirit, not at all good.

Don’t team up with those who are unbelievers.
How can righteousness be a
partner with wickedness?
How can light live with darkness?
What harmony can there be
between Christ and the devil?
How can a believer be a
partner with an unbeliever?
And what union can there be
between God’s temple and idols?
For we are the temple of
the living God.
2 Corinthians 6:14-16 (NLT)

I don't mean to imply that believers and unbelievers ought not mix. Heaven's no! There are many unbelievers in my life, and I love them dearly. I think they'd say the same about me.

What st
ruck me in the hybrid-regard of which I speak is this:

We can mix
God's ways and man's ways; His words and man's words, all we want, but the outcome will be an oddity so absurd we can't believe our eyes; or so marvelously & deceptively beautiful it will bring tears. In both cases it's an aberration - sterile, unscented, unable to reproduce.

Not at all what God had in mind.

But thanks be to God,
Who always leads us in triumphal
procession in Christ and
through us spreads everywhere

the fragrance of the knowledge of him.


For we are to God
the aroma of Christ
among those who are being saved ...
the fragrance of life.
2 Corinthians 2:14-16

19 comments:

Just a little something from Judy said...

You know what? God created your mind in such an unique fashion that it is hard to believe that you and I can relate. You add so many new thought processes to my little brain, and I am so grateful you do. Love my visits here and the way you stretch me and the way I think. This was another perfect example. Hybrids in a whole new light. By the way, you should be thankful that I don't live beside you, because I would really be tempted to steal your pink roses:)

Rebecca said...

The "parables" or lessons from nature are endless, aren't they! Thanks for another one.

Karen Lange said...

What a good thing to ponder. Your posts often highlight things I'd not considered, or an angle I'd not seen. This is a good thing, thank you! Have a blessed weekend:)

Debbie said...

How true your words are Kathleen. I remember my grandfather warning me about this when I was just 18 years old. But did I listen? No ...

I love the way you weave a biblical truth from an earthly example like a hybrid rose. Keep up your writing Kathleen. I think a devotional book is in your future.

Hugs and love,
Debbie

Saleslady371 said...

What a good word today about Hybrids and being unequally yoked. Will you miss the roses? Have a good weekend, Kathleen!

Love you,
Mary

Loren said...

Kathleen,

I just giggled and nodded as I read Judy's words. You have the most unique mind and way of sharing that I am left with my mouth open and thinking for hours at times....You amaze me in your gift of teaching and making us dig deep!

You know my daddy loved roses and his yard was filled with the beauty and aroma they give us.

Thank you for such a beautiful lesson today!

Much love to you

Beth.. One Blessed Nana said...

what an amazing post! just the most awesome truth in that!

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

An oddity so absurd...

Funny how our hearts and minds sometime trick us into think this oddities less absurd and more than norm. In some cases, we've quit scratching our heads and simply look the other way; worse yet, consider them normal.

peace~elaine

Andrea said...

Kathleen, I know when I come here I will always receive truth. You have so beautifully put these thoughts together, and I am in agreement with you, dear friend. God is pure, and we must be careful how we interact in any situation that is opposite his character.

I have known so many people who became very troubled or lost their faith because they chose to compromise at some point on this sacred walk.

Thank you for sharing.

Much love,

Andrea

Terri Tiffany said...

Ok I didn't know that about hybrids at all and I love the connection you made:)

Janette@Janette's Sage said...

Wow...very good and food for thought...thanks for sharing,
Janette

Sonja said...

Once again Kathleen... you just make me smile! You are a word weaver in the finest sense! There is always a probing challenge there. I know that I will always think of this post when I see a hybrid flower!

Hugss!

Sonja

Rita said...

He is the very essence and fragrance of life! Thanks for reminding us of this. A wonderful post.

Susan J. Reinhardt said...

Hi Kathleen -

I never knew hybrid plants couldn't reproduce and had no scent. Ha! I bet the roses I tried to sniff the other day were hybrids. At least I know there's nothing wrong with my sense of smell.

Great spiritual application as well. A mixture of the Word and the World will not produce the fruit of the Spirit.

Blessings,
Susan :)

~*Michelle*~ said...

WOW....God sure knew what He was doing when He led me here this morning. I have been struggling with some issues and you have shed such Light.

Thank you so much!

beBOLDjen said...

I always enjoy your insights. Today's post was another treat.

I hope you're well and that everything is coming together for the big move.

Blessings,
Jen

Gwendolyn said...

Wisely and wonderfully put! I haven't visited for a while...but glad to be back and to visit your lovely place! Esther's Insights will be posting again - now and then.

Beth E. said...

I wrote a long comment to you about this wonderful post a little earlier this evening. I don't think it went through...rats.

LisaShaw said...

You, my dear sister, always sow a bounty into me when I visit you. This message is overflowing with nuggets of wisdom!

I almost felt like I was listening to my Grandma when I was a teen and she was trying to sow this message into my spirit. Oh how it took me YEARS to register!

I appreciate the way you say what you say (smile). I love you.