Friday, April 2, 2010

An Undivided Heart

It's a rather odd thought among the many I consider today; with ramifications that reach far back, and into antiquity's satchel. It surfaced as I read this passage in a particular Psalm:

... give me an undivided heart,

that I may fear your name
...

What does a divided heart look like, anyway? How does it differ from an undivided one? Is it synonymous with a broken heart, or something more sinister? Is it something one acquires when hurt, as if by fracture? Or is it a birth defect; a condition that inhabits the body because imperfection reigns supreme?

To answer such provocative questions, I had to investigate what an undivided heart might look like. Then, surely, I could know the difference between the two, and know how such a thing might affect me personally. Surely.

I didn't have to look far:

I will give them an undivided heart
and put a new spirit in them;
I will remove from them their heart
of stone and give them a heart of flesh.
Then they will follow my decrees
and be careful to keep my laws.
They will be my people,
and I will be their God.
Ezekiel 11:19-21

Across the great divide between lost and found is this promise: a new heart.
  • It's not something one purchases, or finds, or achieves.
  • It's a gift.
  • It's makeup bears no sign of division.
  • It's singular in intent & stable - the opposite of double-minded.
  • It's faith-filled and forward-focused.
An undivided heart does what it's summoned to do; and nowhere is that better demonstrated than in the final, tortured moments of God's own Son, remembered this Good Friday, Who ...

... for the joy set before him
endured the cross,
scorning its shame,
and sat down at the right hand
of the throne of God.
Consider him who endured such opposition
from sinful men,
so that you will not grow weary
and lose heart.
Hebrews 12:2-3

The perfect picture of an undivided heart!

He did what He came to do, thinking it's horrors and shame of little consequence as compared to His love for me and you.

The fact is, we could/can never have an undivided heart apart from His.


Teach me your way, O LORD,
and I will walk in your truth;
give me an undivided heart,
that I may fear your name.

I will praise you, O Lord my God,
with all my heart;

I will glorify your name forever.

Psalm 86:11-12

12 comments:

Rose said...

What a powerful timely message this is. Thank you for the reminder that we have to be HIS, totally 100% without any reservations. Have a blessed weekend!

Rebecca said...

An undivided heart is MY desire, too!

Beth E. said...

Beautiful, Kathleen...you touch my heart with this post. Your scripture references are perfect.

Now...when are you going to write YOUR book? Your posts on this blog are a blessing to so many...you could reach many more by having them published!

Hugs,
Beth

a portland granny said...

Beautifully said--loved the scriptures you used!

I add my amen to what Beth E. wrote on her comments!

(I will answer your email soon)

manthano said...

Thanks for this post. And
undivided heart should be
the desire of every one of
us.
Thanks again.

~*~KIMBERLY~*~ said...

Amen LORD...

sonja said...

You have a way of taking something that sounds ordinary and digging into depths that stretches our thinking!

Now honestly... that sounds like an author!!

Just a thought...

I know I for one will be reflecting on an 'undivided heart' and what a weekend to do that!

skoots1mom said...

Holy...
You are Holy...
Worthy is the Lamb...
You are Holy!
Thank you, Jesus...just doesn't cover it. May we LIVE for Him :)

Rita said...

I hope you have a wonderful Easter weekend!

Saleslady371 said...

This was not only inspiring to read today, but it became my prayer for our prodigal. Easter blessings to you and your family, dear one.

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

As I read this, I can't help but think about Jesus' prayer for himself in the garden...

"I have brought you glory on earth by completing the work you gave me to do" (John 17:4).

It has become my prayer as well, to complete the work He's given me to do; an undivided heart of flesh connected fully and completely to his heart of faith.

Sacred cooperation.

How I want to live.

Blessed Resurrection morn to you, my good and faithful friend. So glad we're on this pilgrimage together.

peace~elaine

Melanie said...

Have a beautiful day as we remember the cross and rejoice in our risen Lord!