Thursday, April 22, 2010

No Doubt About It

Equivocation or certainty? It's a question I put to the word might as I ask it to justify it's duplicity.

You see, when it introduces itself as a verbal auxiliary, it's a somewhat double-minded endorsement of doubt.

In that instance it also means
maybe, or probably. And we all know that something can be probable, though not possible; possible though not probable. Maybe's a shape-shifter!

However, when might boldly proclaims itself as a noun, it becomes something entirely different. It's powerful, bold, strong, sure.

Might trumps maybe every time. In the biblical sense, it's the foundation for "yes", and the bullion that backs heaven's promises!

Finally, my brethren,
be strong in the Lord and
in the power of His might.
Ephesians 6:10


The Son radiates God’s own glory
and expresses the very character
of God, and
He sustains everything
by the mighty power of His command
.
Hebrews 1:3

... we pray ... in order that you
may live a life
worthy of the Lord and may
please him in every way:
bearing fruit in every good work,
growing in the knowledge of God,
being strengthened with all power
according to his glorious might

so that you may have great
endurance and patience ...
Colossians 1:9-11

So I ask myself: If my strength comes from the Lord, how is it that I consider His power to be a might, and not mighty? I suppose I get my verb/noun wires crossed. Maybe.

Great is our Lord and mighty in power;
His understanding has no limit.
Psalm 147:5


11 comments:

~*~KIMBERLY~*~ said...

Kathleen... we all get our wires crossed on occasion. So long as you are aware of God's mighty power you are ok.

RCUBEs said...

Need to hear this today. Thank you sister and I'm glad we have His power and might to use, not our own to be victorious in all areas of our lives. God bless.

Runner Mom said...

Wow! I had to read this one a couple of times!! That's one of the many things I love about your blog! I learn something new each time! Thank you!! And, thanks for your wonderful prom advice! His tux came in today!! Whoohoo!
Hugs!
Susan

Karen Lange said...

Good post. Blessings to you and your readers:)

Heart2Heart said...

Kathleen,

Just resting in the assurance that we can always relax in the peace and presence of God's might!

If you get a chance, stop by and participate in some of my giveaways, most of them end this weekend! I'd love to have you join!

Love and Hugs ~ Kat

Rita said...

Thank the Lord that we get our strength from Him!

Debbie said...

Gosh Kathleen, you are pretty smart girl! Good reminder for me. I know for sure that in my weakness ...He is strong.

He is a mighty fortress and I run into it ...and hide.

Love you,
Debbie

beBOLDjen said...

I LOVE this one!

Oh how silly we are to forget it is by His might that we have any strength at all. I love that God's might stands all on its own. That God makes His might available to us .... well, I'm at a loss for words. Praise Jesus!

Susan J. Reinhardt said...

Wow! Those last few lines packed quite a punch.

Blessings,
Susan :)

Andrea said...

Kathleen, your gift with language amazes me, as does your insight into God's truth!

Might. I will give this one much ponder as a noun!

Thank you so much for your heart, dear friend!

Love,

Andrea

Just a little something from Judy said...

I stopped to reflect on my daily ratio...do I spend more time on the "might" or on the "mighty"? My real peace, calmness, and heartfelt assurance comes only from the right focus...the "mighty" of my God. Oh, the joy that brings to me. He is "mighty in power, strength, wisdom, direction..." How blessed I am to have a Shepherd like this.