Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Yikes!


With a quizzical, yet knowing eye looking deep into my own, He asked: "So tell me, child: How did you get gum in your hair?"

I wasn't entirely sure how it HAD gotten there, so I began my litany of possibilities ...

"Well, someone else must have done it when I wasn't looking; someone needing to get rid of their gum quickly."

His eyebrow arched. I continued.

"But it's possible I simply leaned my head against something with gum stuck to it.", I quickly offered.

Just as quickly I added: "Oh ... now I remember, I was chewing it just before I went to bed. It must have fallen on my pillow, and then I must have rolled onto it."

A subtle grin turned up one corner of His mouth. I waited for His acceptance speech.

I would be waiting a LONG time. He just stood there, waiting.

So I asked Him: "What do You think happened that gum would find it's way to my hair?"

Another LONG time passed, and then He said:

"First, nothing makes it's way to your hair that you have not somehow been complicit in allowing or inviting - even if unknowingly."

"Second, gum is for chewing - the best parts savored and the flavor swallowed, while the remains are then removed and either wrapped safely for another chew, or placed decidedly in the trash. Some gum is to be flushed altogether!"

"Third, did you think I couldn't see, or couldn't remove that gum?"

I shifted on aching feet.

"Well, sir. I wasn't sure. I figured You'd have to cut my hair to get it out; and I didn't want that. Afterall, the whole world might see the bald spot and then KNOW I'd not handled gum properly."

He winked at me then, before saying: "And you thought I wouldn't KNOW if we just ignored it, or pretended not to notice?"

A tear formed in my eye; then one in His as He asked me: "Are you ready to be rid of it?"

I then nodded (albeit half-heartedly), closing my eyes to steal myself against what would, surely, be a painful removal.

From somewhere came a cry, "Ouch!". It took me several moments to discern that it had emanated from my own throat.

When all was said and done, I checked the mirror for the loss of tresses that must surely have occurred; losses that would be the tell-tale signs of my folly. To my utter surprise (and relief), no such gouge existed.

What remained was the most amazing luster ... a shimmer of gold that His light had left where the gum had once gripped.

"Come now, let us reason together,"
says the LORD.
"Though your sins are like scarlet,
they shall be as white as snow;
though they are red as crimson,
they shall be like wool.
Isaiah 1:18

I hope that's the last time I show up with gum in my hair (or egg on my face)! Moreover, I hope that's the last time I think He doesn't see, or that I could possibly remove the icky stuff by myself.

28 comments:

~*~KIMBERLY~*~ said...

Kathleen... that's a profound statement there. O' how we think God will ignore our sins and pretend they didn't happen and let us continue in our wallow. Wow!

Thank You Jesus for this eye opening reminder. You're reasonable and will forgive us our sins as long as we don't continue in the wallow. In Jesus' name, amen.

Andrea said...

I am thankful HE is the MASTER at getting all the yucky stuff out of my life, even when it is a painful process. As I tell my kids...you can run, but you can't hide. Our Heavenly Father knows "all."

Blessings,
andrea

Cindy (Letters From Midlife) said...

I agree with Kimberly. We never sin without somehow agreeing to it and yet our Father gently removes the stain. Hopefully we also learn from the process so we do better the next time.

Heart2Heart said...

Kathleen,

What a great post to show the analogy between the sticky stuff and messes we find ourselves constantly getting into and the loving way God brings us out.

Love and Hugs ~ Kat

Beth E. said...

He sees all and knows all, yet loves us anyway. :-)

Hugs,
Beth

Rita said...

We can't hide a thing from Him. He's always there to help us through if we just ask!

RCUBEs said...

And we never learn. Even after He had removed those wads of gum, they manage to creep back in...because we allow them to.

Just like that motto: Say no to drugs!, may we learn "say no to gums...I mean sins..." :) Blessings to you sister. You always have a way to write even about simple things and bring out the truth in them. God bless.

skoots1mom said...

our gentle school master, shepherd, counselor...and on, and on :)

Sara said...

so glad God has grace peanut butter to smother on me!

I wanted to thank you for being a part of my first year of blogging! What a wonderful year it has been. I'm throwing a little party and as an honored guest, I would love for you to stop by and share a highlight of your year with all of us.

http://justsarahdawn.blogspot.com/2010/04/cactus-happy.html

Cactus Happy,
Sara

Sonja said...

What a picture Kathleen, once again woven with your oh . so . gifted words! I remember one time when I had gum in my hair as a child... my dad was to be preaching in a few minutes, and they were trying everything to 'unstick' my hair! What a mess!!

And what a loving Father who carefully and graciously un-entangles us!!

I can hardly wait to see what God is going to do with the gifts He has given you! There are so many new things ahead...

Hugs!

Sonja

Karen Lange said...

Very good. Thank you for sharing.
Blessings,
Karen

manthano said...

That gum sounds like my life.
Praise God for the way He can
take it out.

Thank you and God bless you.

Tammy@If Meadows Speak... said...

Just beautiful Kathleen! I loved every gripping moment. And how true: "I hope that's the last time I think He doesn't see, or that I could possibly remove the icky stuff by myself."

Saleslady371 said...

Very cute story and very true of our nature.

Terri Tiffany said...

What a wonderful analogy!! Perfect! Got some gum of my own that had to be cut out recently.

christy rose said...

I loved this Kathleen. My favorite part was seeing in myself the times when I have tried to remove the "gum" from my hair on my own and only making a bigger mess of it, instead of letting the one who could remove it completely without a trace left behind, do His masterful work.

Rebecca said...

I GET it!

Debbie said...

Kathleen, I know that I way too often get gum in my hair or egg on my face. One time I even sat in Silly Putty. Do you remember that stuff?

How grateful I am that our Lord is such a forgiving God. He is filled with grace and mercy.

Love you and cannot wait to see you tomorrow for our adventure. Look out ...here comes Sassy Granny and Heart Choices!!!

Debbie

Tiffany Marcotte said...

Love this :)

Nel said...

What a wonderful post. I felt like I was right there with the little girl with the gum, you have such a way with words. Thank you for sharing what is on your heart!

until next time... nel

Rose said...

Oh boy, been there, done that. It's funny how we think God doesn't see our messes if we pretend they don't exist. Thanks for this wonderful reminder that he does see, and wants to help us if we only admit we need the help!

Just a little something from Judy said...

Would the possibility exist that one of the open doors awaiting you in the next phase of life, be writing a book? If you ever do...please put me first on the receiving list. What a perfect way to share the loving, kind, merciful way God deals with us and our messes. Great way to start my day today. Hand in hand with my loving Heavenly Father.

Rosezilla said...

WOW! I am impressed. That was so profound, made more so by the simplicity of the situation that we've all been in, most likely, or something remarkably like it. Thank you, that one will stick with me.

They call me "Deb" said...

Absolutely beautiful example of God's loving grace. I love it.

LisaShaw said...

A meaty message my friend. Thank you for sharing. I love you.

Kay said...

Love it.. so true. We certainly cannot get rid of the icky stuff on our own. When we try, we just end up with a 'bald spot'. Only He can take it away and make us into something new. Great post! : )

Patrina said...

I agree with everyone else... you have a way with words and stories... this was sooo cute! and sooo real ! and soooo true!

Awesome way of pointing us to
God's grace.

Patrina <")>><
His watchman on the wall

Rebecca said...

I remember the pulling & pain when trying to get the gum out. I remember thinking, "Why don't they just CUT the hair!" And later, I think I did that with my own children...especially when it was at hairs' ends..

How much "gum" I've had stuck in my hair over the years! You'd think I'd grow out of it. How faithful and patient the Father with me.