Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Told in Advance

On the first day of the week,
very early in the morning,
the women took the spices they
had prepared and went to the tomb.
They found the stone rolled away
from the tomb, but when they entered,
they did not find the body
of the Lord Jesus.
While they were wondering about this,
suddenly two men in clothes
that gleamed like lightning
stood beside them.
Luke 24:1-3

I'd never heard of, much less considered such a thing ... but what on earth were those two angels doing just milling around an empty tomb?

Certainly their assignment had a purpose, and - given all we know about how God never does anything random, but connects all dots to the purposes/foundation He established in the Old Testament - that assignment either foreshadowed something greater, or it fulfilled something already foreshadowed.

Are you with me?

Of course you are! In fact, you're probably miles ahead of me here, and no doubt you've heard these things before.

Bear with me, because this is new to me; and more of the good news about the Good News.

Besides, I need to walk this out. So please come along ... It's back to the future we go:


"Make an atonement cover ... And make two cherubim out of hammered gold at the ends of the cover. Make one cherub on one end and the second cherub on the other; make the cherubim of one piece with the cover, at the two ends. The cherubim are to have their wings spread upward, overshadowing the cover with them. The cherubim are to face each other, looking toward the cover. Place the cover on top of the ark and put in the ark the Testimony, which I will give you. There, above the cover between the two cherubim that are over the ark of the Testimony, I will meet with you and give you all my commands ... " Exodus 25:17-22

When Moses entered the Tent of Meeting to speak with the LORD, he heard the voice speaking to him from between the two cherubim above the atonement cover on the ark of the Testimony. And he spoke with him. Numbers 7:89

So the people sent men to Shiloh, and they brought back the ark of the covenant of the LORD Almighty, who is enthroned between the cherubim. 1 Samuel 4:4

The priests then brought the ark of the LORD's covenant to its place in the inner sanctuary of the temple, the Most Holy Place, and put it beneath the wings of the cherubim. 1 Kings 8:6

Hear us, O Shepherd of Israel, you who lead Joseph like a flock; you who sit enthroned between the cherubim Psalm 80:1

And then enters Jesus ...

Behind the second curtain was a room called the Most Holy Place, which had the golden altar of incense and the gold-covered ark of the covenant. This ark contained the gold jar of manna, Aaron's staff that had budded, and the stone tablets of the covenant. Above the ark were the cherubim of the Glory, overshadowing the atonement cover.But we cannot discuss these things in detail now.

The Holy Spirit was showing by this that the way into the Most Holy Place had not yet been disclosed as long as the first tabernacle was still standing. When Christ came as high priest of the good things that are already here, he went through the greater and more perfect tabernacle that is not man-made, that is to say, not a part of this creation. He did not enter by means of the blood of goats and calves; but he entered the Most Holy Place once for all by his own blood, having obtained eternal redemption (fulfilling for all time, once and for all, the ATONEMENT).

For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. Hebrews 9

We hear this. We know this. We treasure this fact in our hearts because it's the very foundation of the salvation we've been granted.

What's so incredible to me is the fact that those two cherubim were there to confirm it.

What's more, we'd already been told they would be.

Amazing. Simply amazing.


"O LORD Almighty, God of Israel,
enthroned between the cherubim,
you alone are God over all the
kingdoms of the earth.
You have made heaven
and earth.
Isaiah 37:16

And He still is, and He still does!


Footnote
:
The cherubim serve the purpose of magnifying the holiness and power of God. This is one of their main responsibilities throughout the Bible. In addition to singing God's praises, they also serve as a visible reminder of the majesty and glory of God and His abiding presence with His people
. (GotQuestions.com)

12 comments:

Tammy@If Meadows Speak... said...

Wow! I never did see that connection before. What a glorious revelation. Thanks for blessing me/us in the sharing of it. :)

Andrea said...

God tells us time and time again, through HIS word how things were, how they will be, and yet we still question HIM. Over and over again, His word is fulfilled and we continue to question HIM. I fall short time and time again questioning GOD about small details in my life. If we trust HIM for eternity......we/I must trust HIM with the small details in my life.

Blessings, hugs, and prayers,
andrea

PS: Isn't it amazing how GOD speaks to each of us through HIS word? and through others? Thank you for this awesome post!

Lloyd said...

What an uplifting and wonderful study of God's Word this morning. Thank you and may our Lord continue to shine on you. Lloyd

RCUBEs said...

I was reading the same verse yesterday about the veil being torn into 2, thankful that at Christ's death, the barrier between God and humanity had been broken....but I overlooked those angels...Thank you for this...I'm having goosebumps...but in a GOOD way :) Have a blessed week sister and glory to God for His Master Plan!!!

sonja said...

Oh I agree... this gave me goose bumps too! I LOVE a good lesson on the parallels between the Old and the New Testament and how the Old points to the New and the New fulfills the Old. This was a message I also hadn't noticed in quite that way.

So clear Kathleen, and such a good Easter week pondering... Easter's message of hope just sings to my heart!

Hugs!

Sonja

Saleslady371 said...

Praising God for His New Covenant too!

Rose said...

The story of the cherubim in the garden tomb, for me, is one of the most exciting. To think when they looked in the tomb, they saw the imagery of the Ark of the Covenant.WOW, it gives me goosebumps as well.

Heart2Heart said...

Kathleen,

I never had made that connection before either and now it just really makes that moment even more special. What surprises await those who go looking for the Lord!

Love and Hugs ~ Kat

Beth E. said...

I always learn something when I visit your blog, Sassy. I had never thought about this before, making this connection with the angels.

Thanks for enlightening me!

Hugs...

Runner Mom said...

Loved this, Kathleen! I've just finished studying about the ark, and the cherubim are in the back of my mind. Now, through your post and this scripture, they are right where they should be! Thanks so much! I want my family to read this one!

Be blessed this Holy Week!
Hugs!
Susan

Technonana said...

Thanks for this awesome revelation!!!It's ALL about HIM!!
From start to finish!!

Just a little something from Judy said...

This reminded me of what I was pondering this morning as I was reading through the book of Daniel. I marvel how not one detail is left to chance...not one. It is all so amazing and so exciting. Things past and things to come, all part of a huge Master plan, making the celebration of Easter, the greatest privilege for us. Loved this post!

Wishing you and your family real, heartfelt joy as you reflect on Him.