Sunday, March 21, 2010

Precipitous Events

I can almost hear Merriam summoning me over this one, as if to take me to task. You see, I've taken another of his words hostage; and rightly so. He didn't go nearly far enough in fleshing out the concept of precipitation.

By definition it means ...

... If it's a transitive (with an object) verb
: to throw violently; to hurl; to throw down; to bring about especially abruptly; to cause to separate from solution or suspension, or to cause vapor to condense and fall or deposit.

... If it's an intransitive (no object) verb
: to fall headlong; to fall or come suddenly into some condition; to move or act precipitately; to separate from solution or suspension, or to condense from a vapor and fall as rain or snow. All that too?

So what's so important about precipitation that it would put Merriam and me at odds?

It's that it elicits action, either passively or actively; and sometimes it absolutely insists upon a response. "Suddenly coming into a condition" will do that.


Then again, sometimes it calls for an umbrella!

Now that I've moved passed the "Y", I've discovered the "Y" itself is a precipitating - precipitous - event. Not only was a decision needed there, but now many decisions are needed here, too. Oy!

All that to say I'm a few steps beyond the "Y" and wrestling with the way ahead. It has become a precipitous event.

This I know ...
that in all things God works for the good
of those who love him, who have been
called according to his purpose.
For those God foreknew he also predestined
to be conformed to the likeness of his Son,
that he might be the firstborn among many
brothers. And those he predestined,
he also called; those he called,
he also justified; those he justified,
he also glorified.
What, then, shall we say in response to this?
If God is for us, who can be against us?

The precipitous events in God's economy do not include hurling, or rain. Well, not hurling anyway.


P.S. Terry and I have long thought we'd both retire sometime nearer to the age of 65 (we're now 62), and then re-think where we'd live in retirement. With the recent Y related to my work; and the fact that I'll leave my position in a few short days, we've begun re-thinking the "what next" of our lives, albeit prematurely. It's looking more-and-more like we'll return to our Pacific NW habitat to be closer to our children and grandchildren, where Terry can continue to work (he's portable). Needless to say, we need a bucket of wisdom like never before. Come to think of it, we just might need an umbrella too.


19 comments:

Country Wings in Phoenix said...

Good Morning Sweetie...
That bucket is there, it is very full, so drink one cup at a time and your answer is at the bottom of the bucket. God will guide you.

I am saddened that you will be leaving the valley, as I just found you, but happy that you will be near your children and grands. That is a very important thing to us Granny's. At least your blog won't move.

I was hoping you would get to come to the AZ Blogger's Luncheon. I have a button on my blog to take you to the page. It is going to be Saturday, March 27th @ 1:30 @ The Frontporch Tea Cafe in Mesa. I would so love to meet you sweetie.
If you could attend please email me and confirm. (stoneshy@msn.com)

Have a beautiful Sunday sweetie. Country hugs...Sherry

a portland granny said...

Yes, my dear, you will need an umbrella, but how nice it would be to be near your grandies, especially that sweet baby you are waiting for! (We had a darling little Cole born in our family last June! What a joy he has been!)

Patrina said...

I love the way this came together -Yes...it seems as if you are in the midst of decison. I moved in JUne to be close to my daughter's family while caring for dad. I needed her support. But as it turns out, we live 5 blks from them and the grandkids are over her all the time to lighten my laod and my environment. Madi - 9 - spends every fri night with us and most of Saturday. She calls it "grammy time". This gives me the opportunity to grow her in spiritual ways that the Lords is sharing with me - about her. Madi is very sensetive to the Holy Spirit already. It is such a glorious time to be so much a part of their growing times. It was the best move I've ever made.

I'll be praying for discernment- it is such a big decision - that next move - especially at this point in your life.

Stay focused on Jesus
Patrina <")>><
His watchman on the wall

sonja said...

oh boy Kathleen, on two things in your post. One... the 'precipitous event'... my dad always used to say that God 'unfolds' His plan. There are drop off places along the way, and Y's, but He is unfolding to both of you even during these days.

Two... I grew up in California, but the Pacific Northwest was our second stomping ground, just about every summer. My sister lives there and it is like a second home to me. So...

I am waiting and watching with you and Terry, to see how God 'unfolds' what He is doing in your lives and I'm excited!

Hugs, both dry ones and perhaps some drizzly ones!?!

Sonja

Rita said...

We come to a point in our lives that decisions have to be made. Sometimes those decisions are so very hard to make, but if we trust in our Maker, He will guide us every step of the way. When I retired, it was a hard thing to do, but there have been good things come from it. You will enjoy being closer to the grandbabies and the kiddos. God bless you in your decisions. I still look forward to "talking" with you here no matter where you move to!

Beth E. said...

I still think the Appalachian Mountains would be a great place for you to live (hehe), but I can understand your desire to move closer to your family.

God has a plan in all of this. The scripture you posted is perfect.

Big HUGS being sent your way!

RCUBEs said...

You already had discovered how to obtain wisdom. His! So, praying that He will guide you with your decisions! But I know your children and their families will be blessed to have you back! God bless you sister and I know He already made your paths smooth!

Technonana said...

Praying for you Sweet Friend as you wait for the answers. But this I know, and firmly believe...God has great plans for you!! and this is the beginning of the 'new thing' His has for you!!
and being near your children and grandchildren,well what can I say??
Love,
Sharon

Diana said...

Your heart and faith in HIM will help you make the decisions that must be made.

Blessings your way..............

Yolanda said...

It seems, your heart is full. ;-)

Heart2Heart said...

Hmmm well if you are headed to the Pacific NW any time soon, we will find ourselves neighbors at some point. We are looking at options of moving there as well.

Stop by my blog and check out my 2 newest giveaways!

Love and Hugs ~ Kat

Just a little something from Judy said...

Good morning my friend! So thankful that you posted, and loved reading your thoughts. As I read through the beloved passage that you shared, I thought to myself...keep on believing these beautiful, calming, life-giving words because therein lies your peace. I claim them with you today for the next step, however huge it may seem. Maybe you feel somewhat like Abraham did when God called him. Near your family, your grandchildren, those who love you...that seems like a real good step to me.

I will keep you in my prayers in this wilderness journey you are on. Wherever He takes you, all will be blessed by your pressence...that is a fact.

Shirl said...

I can only tell you this in regard to your 'Y'... We lived relatively close to our girls, although it was an hour's drive to see either one. We found we didn't see one another often because by the time you set aside two hours for driving and a couple hours for visiting, it became hard to schedule. After Missy's death, we realized how precious time with family is. There is no guarantee that they will be there tomorrow. I so regret all the missed opportunities to spend time with Missy. So, we retired early and moved to another state so that we could spend more time together. In the end, it is the most important thing, we found.

Debbie said...

Oh my! Now that I found you I can't let you go. Isn't that a song from the late 60's? LOL.

I love that you are close to me now but of course, I will pray for God's will in your life. All of these Y's in life impact other areas too. We must get together again though. Maybe in a couple of weeks. My email is still not working so that's why I'm leaving a longer message here.

Love you,
Debbie

Beth.. One Blessed Nana said...

Jackie - praying that you will be filled with wisdom and discernment for decisions that need to be made.

Love this post!

manthano said...

Understand your concerns over the
decisions you need to make. Praying
the Lord will give you the needed
wisdom.

Rose said...

I so understand where you are at this point in your life. The choices are sometimes overwhelming because you know they make a huge different. Just keep praying about it. God will guide you! HUGS!

Melanie said...

If any of you is deficient in wisdom, let him ask of the giving God [Who gives] to everyone liberally and ungrudgingly, without reproaching or faultfinding, and it will be given him. ~ James 1:5



And let the peace (soul harmony which comes) from Christ rule (act as umpire continually) in your hearts [deciding and settling with finality all questions that arise in your minds, in that peaceful state] to which as [members of Christ's] one body you were also called [to live]. And be thankful (appreciative), [giving praise to God always]. ~ Colossians 3:15

christy rose said...

Kathleen, You have the Prince of Peace leading and guiding you. Let Him rule as you take on this new path. I believe that there are far more reasons for this new path than you are even aware of yet. You have many years of bringing forth His manifested Glory to those you come in contact with, including your kids and grandkids. I am excited for what He has in store for you!! :)