Sunday, March 14, 2010

Even More


Trouble.

One word, and immediately each of us understands it's import.

Often it conjures up images of difficulties past or present. The very mention of it may portend strife to come, born in our souls by way of worry. But few people can look at that word and not associate it with some form of trial.

Memories and imagination provide the color and hue associated with trouble's dimensions - either large or small.

In his time of trouble King Ahaz
became even more unfaithful to the LORD.

2 Chronicles 28:10


I couldn't skip by this passage as I read it again, perhaps for the 20th time. This time, it was the word trouble that first caught my eye, followed by the words even more. The story's a good read all by itself, but that one line speaks volumes to me. Oh ... may the decibels of that volume never be any less.

What is it I'm even more of when trouble comes to call?

I dare not list the possibilities or we'd quickly tire. Yet it's a question I need to ask myself as I conduct an inventory of the arsenal I use when trouble arrives. Not "if" it arrives, but "when" it arrives.

The good man brings good things out of the good stored up in his heart, and the evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in his heart. For out of the overflow of his heart his mouth speaks.
Luke 6:45


Though King Ahaz gives us but one portrait of a man becoming even more evil & ungodly, we have another - Jesus Himself - demonstrating the even more of the believing man.

Now my heart is troubled,
and what shall I say?
Father, save me from this hour?
No, it was for this very reason
I came to this hour.
Father, glorify your name!
John 12:27


In essence, He tells us that trouble leads to God's glory; and in God's economy that means greater faithfulness - greater faith - as we become even more than we already are in Him.

So much for King Ahaz' fuzzy math!


11 comments:

Yolanda said...

As I read this, the scripture that was a part of my devotion this morning came back to my mind. I pray that it bless' you as it blessed me.

Amos 5:14 NIV

Seek good, not evil,
that you may live.
Then the LORD God Almighty will be with you,
just as you say he is.


Lovingly,
Yolanda

Nel said...

What good words! I think about how I have reacted to situations, and shake my head and know that at that time I disappointed God. But Praise God He does forgive us! Thanks for sharing and reminding us to be careful, to be ready for we will face troubles.

until next time... nel

RCUBEs said...

Jesus always looked to the Father, no matter what rough times He faced. May we be like Him to see these rough times as opportunities for us to claim His help. I'd rather just have Jesus' "addition", cross= +sign. For in everything, we have abundance because of what He did to save us.

God bless and have a great week sister!

LisaShaw said...

When I think of "trouble" I remind myself that Jesus told us that in this world we would have trouble (trials and tribulations) but what lifts my soul is that he went on to tell us to cheer up because HE has already overcome the world.

When I faced trouble long ago I would immediately turn into FEAR but as I grew in the LORD I faced trouble with FAITH (trusting in the LORD). Doesn't mean I don't have moments where I have to bag that fear devil off of me big time and I do it through the LORD.

Your message was powerful as always and it reminds me to keep my focus on the LORD. May I look to Him in the good and in the difficult (trouble) knowing that He is my Help (Psalm 121).

Love you much.

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

What do I become "even more of" in times of trouble?

Depends.

I'll let you know.

peace~elaine

Heart2Heart said...

Kathleen,

This is even more apparent a reason for us to make sure we fully equip ourselves to put on the "full" armor of God and not just be selective on the pieces we want to wear for the day. We need it all!

Love and Hugs ~ Kat

Rose said...

Kathleen, amen to becoming more of HIM. I know I need it.

Debbie said...

I loved your summary:

"In essence, He tells us that trouble leads to God's glory; and in God's economy that means greater faithfulness - greater faith - as we become even more than we already are in Him."

In Him is key, isn't it? When I act out of my flesh, I get into trouble. When I remain in Him, I am faithful.

You always seem to share special jewels that I can apply to my life. I love that about you. I pray that you will never give up blogging as you reach so many hearts in this way.

I cannot wait to meet you in person.

Love,
Debbie

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

thanks for sharing your thoughts...They were words I needed. Have a great week....

Terri Tiffany said...

And were you talking to me:))LOL thank you again. Love that last verse.

Patrina said...

"trouble leads to God's glory; and in God's economy that means greater faithfulness - greater faith - as we become even more than we already are in Him."...

Powerpacked post, as usual. I love this ending statement!

I liked what Heart2heart said about the armor. Absolutely even more reason.

No matter how close I am with the Lord. There's always some unhealed part of me hiding away that activates my evil 'Flesh' - usally displayed through the words of my mouth - in the utterance of unkind words - or just muttering under my breath because I don't feelheard. I know.... I don't like admitting that - but the truth hurts and admitting it is the first step to conquering it with authority.

Thanks for sharing this - I am blessed for reading.

Patrina <")>><
His watchman on the wall