Monday, February 1, 2010

Nifty Nostrums

I stumbled across this term recently, and it immediately made me grin. Why? Because it sounds like something I might make up; one of those liberated words and meanings you'd never in a million years find in Merriam's arsenal.

Nifty nostrums is ... well, just plain sassy!

At first the term brought to mind Nasturtiums - those flimsy little wisps that look like weeds, and stink to high heavens!
Then I thought of noster - "ours" - from Latin (like in Pater Noster, Our Father).

Eventually I made my way to Nordstroms - the high end Seattle-based store that one rarely can afford.

When finally I defined a nostrum, it piqued my interest even further. It means:

1 : a medicine of secret composition
recommended by its preparer
but usually without scientific
proof of its effectiveness
2 : a usually questionable remedy or scheme

The Medical Dictionary is far less kind, and quick to label it quackery.

So now I'm left to wonder just how, exactly, does a nostrum become nifty? Afterall, if it's connected to the questionable, then certainly it's anything BUT.

Off to my medicine cabinet I go. What might it contain that I've self-prescribed, and that has become my own personal stash of nifty nostrums (plural) - - prescriptions that have all the appearances of good but all the
bunk of quackery?

Do not let anyone who delights
in false humility

and the worship of angels
disqualify you for the
prize.

Such a person goes into great detail about

what he has seen,
and his unspiritual mind puffs

him up with idle notions (aka schemes).
He has lost connection

with the Head, from whom the whole body,
supported and held together by its ligaments
and sinews, grows as God causes it to grow.

Since you died with Christ to the basic principles

of this world, why, as though you still belonged
to it, do you submit to its rules:
"Do not handle!
Do not taste!
Do not touch!"?

These are all destined to perish with use,
because they are based on
human commands

and teachings (traditions)

Such regulations (
aka nifty nostrums)
indeed have an appearance of wisdom,
with their self-imposed worship,
their false humility and their
harsh treatment
of the body,
but they lack any value ...
Colossians 2:18-23


I guess there really isn't such a thing as a nifty nostrum - they all lack any value!

14 comments:

Melanie said...

:)

Beth E. said...

Does this mean home remedies don't work?? ;-)

Word verification: sayingso Hahaha...perfect!

Andrea said...

I needed a laugh, today. Thank you!
Blessings,
andrea

Loren said...

You amaze me!

Terri Tiffany said...

My first thought was nostrils and so I read on:)) Thanks!!

Andrea said...

Hope you don't mind. I added a link to your blog on arise 2 write.

sonja said...

That was too funny! It reminded me of an antique we used to have, in a beautiful wood case. It was a quackery device and the label said it "cures anything, upon occasion, even death."

Keep the word pictures coming!

Love,

Sonja

Karen Lange said...

What fun! You always make me smile, think, or both:)
Blessings,
Karen

Denise said...

You make the Father smile.

Just a little something from Judy said...

I click onto your blog discovering it is another word picture post. I read down through it, word for word, I read it again, I smile as I read this time. I realize that my mind is too preoccupied at this moment to be able to intelligently comment. I'll be back, when I have a few extra minutes to read and think as I read. You are a blessing!

Tammy@If Meadows Speak... said...

Just so you know. Nifty nostrums may like value, but they've been STUCK in my head (since yesterday, thank you). Like a song you can't turn off (in your head) or a broken record, repeating, repeating. Yea. Nifty nostrums. I kinda like'em too. Who cares if they don't have a value. They also made me grin and brought a little smile. There's some value in that! :)

Rita said...

I love the name "sassy granny"! Every time I see it I smile!

Deborah Ann said...

What a cute write-up!

Shirl said...

A great read with my coffee this morning!!!