Monday, February 8, 2010

Mathetes - Introducing Some Encouragement



Honest and truly, I didn't make up this word:
Manthano. I discovered it or, rather, it discovered me. It showed up one day here - on my blog; left by a gracious guest I've come to know as Luther.

Being the word hoarder that I am, I was intrigued by his signature. As Luther explains it, it means "learner". It's what motivates his blogging - his thought sharing - at the site he's labeled Encouragement. (Taken from Hebrews 10:24-25)

I dug a bit deeper, and discovered that
Mathetes is the plural form; meaning disciples, or apprentices. Mathetes numerous, or Mathano singular - are known by their quest to increase knowledge; to hear and be informed; and to practice what they've learned (in the sense of being in the habit of).

Straight away I can hear the Lord Himself saying:
Let him who has ears to hear, hear. (Matthew 13, Mark 4, Luke 8, Luke 14, Revelation 1-3).

OK, now back to my new-found friend who is no longer so new-found.

Over the months I've gotten a glimpse of Luther's heart, and I know what a struggle blogging has been for him. It's not that he hasn't anything to say (trust me, he produces a bounty!), but his struggle is the same one you and I have had on more than one occasion with questions like:
  • Why am I doing this?
  • How will this honor the Lord?
  • Is this worth the time & effort it takes?
  • Does anyone care?
Luther would be the first to tell you he's not a young man, nor is he a learned man in the sense of degrees & credentials. His is not a fancy domain, nor does it contain the sort of decor we ladies embellish our blog homes with. It's a humble home, and I can tell you it's humble fare, containing the heart of a child, and the wisdom that is born of a diet on God's own word.

Do yourself a favor; pay a visit to Manthano. You'll know you're in good company and - no doubt - be glad you're among the Mathetes.


"let us consider how to stir up one
another to love and good works,
... encouraging one another,
and all the more as you see
the Day drawing near."

Heb.10:24,25 RSV

15 comments:

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

Oh, indeed... who of us haven't asked these questions again and again in regards to our blogging.

But then we get an e-mail from someone, like today, from a college girl in search of her Jesus and not quite sure how to get there; who happened upon my blog and was encouraged to ask a question or two. Or the woman at 62 who needs a Bible and wasn't scared to reach out for one.

And when that kind of stuff happens, I know why I'm doing this. I hold the answer, and so...

off to visit your friend and lend him some encouragement. A friend of Sassy's is a friend of mine.

peace~elaine

Tammy@If Meadows Speak... said...

Word hoarder, indeed! So funny. I'll be by Luther's place. Thanks for passing it on.

Nel said...

Stopped in at Luther's for a quick look. I will definitely be back over there to absorb what he has written. Thanks for sharing.

until next time... nel

Denise said...

Thanks for sharing your friend.

~*~KIMBERLY~*~ said...

You're an encourager as well Kathleen. Thanks for sharing Luther with us.

Donna M. Kohlstrom said...

I love new words! Thanks for sharing this one. Never heard of it before and wondering how to incorporate it into a story!

Will visit Luther!

Terri Tiffany said...

You are so sweet to introduce us to him! Of course I will go over there and say hello!
Thank you so much for all your encouragement to me on my journey. You've been there for me through so much whining and sadness and I am thrilled you are still here as I cme through this! Blessings!

Rita said...

I have asked myself that same question many times. Why do I do this, why should I take the time to do it...on and on. Then when I read other bloggers, I think I am so glad that my niece introduced me to the blog world. I went over and read some of your friend's blog and enjoyed it very much. Blessing to you. I'm glad that you love to learn new words. I struggle with that.

Beth E. said...

I relate to Elaine's comment...I have had a recent connection with a young woman who is seeking advice. What an honor, yet what a responsibility!

I have asked the same questions you listed on many occasions. I guess we all do at one time or another.

I'm heading over to read Luther's blog. Thanks for telling us about him, and thanks for the vocabulary lesson...you know how much I need those! ;-)

Hugs,
Beth

manthano said...

Just a huge THANKS

Karen Lange said...

Well, I've learned something else new today! Thanks so much:) Will check out the link.
Blessings,
Karen

Rose said...

Luther is rather like an undiscovered treasure. I am glad you pointed him out for the rest to see. I enjoy his words of wisdom and humor. What a dear friend he becomes very early on.

WifenMother said...

Thank you for pointing out Manthano's blog. I already enjoyed reading it!

I appreciate your fun and sweet spirit!

Carol said...

I too have asked these questions. I think I enjoy the 'blog fellowship' that I share with many and it is always a pleasure and encouragement to discover new blogs like yours.
And now I will pop over to Luther and discover his blog as well!
Bless you.
Carol

LisaShaw said...

Kathleen,

I STILL ask myself those questions and not just with blogging but with other areas as well. As of late I have felt the constant press to do talk radio. I had felt the pull in 2008 and again in 2009 and just kept asking, "who would listen LORD?" "Isn't there enough out there where my big mouth...I mean my voice is not needed?"

Then HE opened the door for me to be interviewed on someone's blog talk radio program back in Jan and since then the woman Mary has encouraged me to "go for it Lisa, GOD has given you a passionate voice".

Again, those questions you posted and MORE keep rolling around in my head but then I have to say YES LORD! Isn't that what it's all about any way? Saying YES to the LORD.

Ok, didn't mean to write a book...on the way to visit your friends blog.

I love you and appreciate your encouragement!!