Thursday, February 18, 2010

Drop Dead Serious

Most days find me wearing a grin. It's such a lovely adornment - an accessory that matches everything, whether it's jeans or a dress; pajamas or hiking gear. Better still, it never competes with cologne or color because, like a mood ring, it tailors it's scent & hue to whatever one's wearing; and for whatever the occasion.

The lighter side of life has long intrigued me. Perhaps the impetus is a sick sense of humor, or a stubborn insistence that something funny
must exist - embedded - in nearly every life situation. Or maybe it's just because laughter makes even the lackluster, lustrous.

Whether alone or in the company of others, sometimes my funny bone (who made that phrase up, anyway?) is simply smitten. On occasion I'll laugh out loud even when I'm alone; and even THAT makes me laugh.

That was not always the case. My sense of humor wasn't terribly acute in the distant yesteryears of my life. But having married the Harbinger of Blarney (with the last name Flanagan, no less!!!), I had to get over that fairly early on.

Now it seems there's blarney everywhere (I actually look for it), along with a good many reasons for a smile, if not uproarious laughter. I am blessed to live and work alongside people of good humor; people that help me mine life in much the same way one might pan for gold. What's better, or richer than shared laughter?

There are many things in life that I take drop dead serious. Myself is not one of them.

A number of my life-experiences have come on the heals of trouble. Some of that trouble called for tears; some the deepest of heartache. So I certainly do not mean to make light of life's heavier side. Sometimes laughter retreats and gathers dust while one copes, or endures, or suffers long.

Yet it's so very refreshing when those times of good humor remain or return, when I again realize I am safe in His arms, and free to be the child He would have me be.

Now that's something to take drop dead serious!

(Jesus )said: "I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. " Matthew 18:3

Laughter is the shortest distance between two people. ~Victor Borge

With the fearful strain that is on me night and day, if I did not laugh I should die. ~Abraham Lincoln

A smile confuses an approaching frown.
-- Author Unknown

In the book of life,
the answers aren't in the back.
Charlie Brown

20 comments:

They call me "Deb" said...

You remind me of my sister. That girl finds humor in everything and her laughter is so infectious. So much so that there were times in church when her husband's hair was sticking up and she'd notice and start quietly giggling - only to snicker when he'd turn and the 'stickie-uppie' would wave around. And before we knew it, our entire two rows of people were red-faced with wanting to burst forth in outrageous laughter!
I LOVE that about her. She's so fun to be around. I long to be less serious and more like her (and YOU!) lol

skoots1mom said...

Happiness often sneaks in through a door you didn't know you left open. ~John Barrymore
i LOVE it when it sneaks in :)

LisaShaw said...

This message is PRICELESS!! I love the quote of Abraham Lincoln...

"With the fearful strain that is on me night and day, if I did not laugh I should die."

Great sharing dear sister. I love you.

Heart2Heart said...

Kathleen,

I love the quote from Charlie Brown. How true that is, only the answers to what we seek lies in the eyes of our Heavenly Father. I too see laughter as a means of making the world just a little bit brighter one smile at a time.

Love and Hugs ~ Kat

Karen Lange said...

Love the quotes! Thanks once again for giving me food for thought:)
Blessings,
Karen

Rita said...

Laughter is wonderful and smiles are contagious! Give someone a smile and they, nearly always, give you one back! I love them. Here's a smile coming to you!

~*~KIMBERLY~*~ said...

I love humor. I love the statement, "laughter is the best medicine". There's been movies made about it. I'm sure there's books out there about it. I love to laugh. I love to hear laughter. It's contagious. Live a little, laugh a lot! =)

Tammy@If Meadows Speak... said...

I love to laugh. I take myself serious for a few, but laughter always has a way of finding me. Even in darkest of hours, it's a good friend! So glad to know you also can laugh at yourself, or all alone. I'm not so strange after all. ;-)

Nel said...

I am usually always smiling, laughing quite often. I live with the attitude that life is to short to be miserable. And God does not want us to be miserable!

I love your post! It made me smile! I too laugh when I am alone, I used to look up and see if anyone was watching, now I don't worry about it. I figure the Lord knows what I am laughing at and He is the only one that matters anyways.

until next time... nel

RCUBEs said...

I miss my dad who is always full of humor. Even on his deathbed, he managed to crack some jokes. I know it's because of His gift:joy. That it's okay for us to remain joyful and be able to laugh despite the circumstances around us. Great quotes! Blessings.

Yolanda said...

Laughter happens quite often in my home as well. My hubs is the king of laughter and i find myself joining in more and more.

Lovingly,
Yolanda

Just a little something from Judy said...

Laughter is a huge part of my life. Now at the risk of sounding shallow and quite insensitive, may I say that there are so many things that I do take to heart and there are times of tears and pain too. But, seriously laughter has been instrumental in getting me through so many rough times. I admire people that have a great sense of humor. I am surrounded by them, and I thank God for that daily.

I appreciated how you shared this post. You are a very sensitive and deeply caring person, and yet you can laugh. What a lady!

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

My father has always commented to me about my laughter... my ability to keep laughing despite the difficulty of a situation. I get it honestly; he is the funniest man I know. Yes, we must laugh, everyday. When I don't, I miss it terribly and quickly forget its worthiness.

peace~elaine

PS: If you knew how crazy my life has been recently, I'm sure you could help me fine some laughter in there somewhere. I'm just about over it all. I need a nanny, a maid, a secretary, and a cook!

sonja said...

It didn't only make me smile, I laughed out loud!...

"On occasion I'll laugh out loud even when I'm alone; and even THAT makes me laugh."... that one just hits MY funny bone! I've done it too.

Thanks for the good smile today, as well as the wise words.

Hugs!

Sonja

Terri Tiffany said...

Trying to smile though somedays...hmmm--but it does make it better!

Donna M. Kohlstrom said...

My hubby and I have learned to laugh at ourselves! It sure makes it easier to get through some of the tough times!

My youngest son has just gotten married, for the first time, at the age of 40 and he and his wife worry about their marriage not being perfect! I've told them they need to learn to laugh more and worry less!

Shirl said...

Oh! I soooo agree!!! I love to laugh. I love it when I make someone laugh. I love to hear the laughter of others. I want my epitaph to read: She Made Me Laugh!

Andrea said...

AMEN!!
Thank you, I needed this, today.
andrea

christy rose said...

This was just a priceless piece of writing Kathleen. Smiling at others is the funnest thing in the world, especially when it seems they are sour faced. I can tell you many of times when I have approached someone that I have not even known and met their eyes as I was passing by to give them a smile and their countenance immediately changed. It is a wonderful gift to give to others without even saying a word. :) Lots of smiles to you today!

Denise said...

I loved this, thank you.