Sunday, February 21, 2010

Boundary Lines & Pleasant Places


Lord, You have assigned to me my portion
and my cup; You have made my lot secure.
The boundary lines have fallen for me in
pleasant places; surely I have a
delightful inheritance!

Psalm 16:5-6

She kept it for many years, the little pink dress that most certainly had been my first; even, most likely, my Christening gown.

I can picture it still: a frilly organza item trussed in embroidered flowers and lace, tucked securely in tissue among her treasures. It never lost her scent either - - a rare blend of Ivory & castile soaps; a hint of White Shoulders cologne.

I know, I collected it often to adorn my dollies, or to ponder the wonders of infancy; and on each such occasion she'd retrieve it - with nary a scolding word - to tuck it away among her treasures once again.

It's gone now; lost to that other era - the one of my childhood; and so is she.

None of it's forgotten, for now it remains among my own treasury.

February 21, 1948

My boundary lines did, indeed, fall in a pleasant place that fateful day. Born to Helen & James Wells - 42 & 46 respectively - when they had long forgotten diapers & crib sheets; the youngest of four girls.

I cannot don my birthday garb today without going there - the place of my birth - to give thanks for the boundaries that have allowed me to remain in a pleasant place.

It's true, that while I've forsaken their boundaries for even sturdier ones, what was given to me in childhood made the transfer oh-so much easier. It wasn't so much a forsaking of, but a completion in living securely.

In recent years my birth in 1948 has been especially precious to me given the other birth that year: The Nation of Israel. From dry bones to a fully en-fleshed body, they were granted new life in the most amazing, the most providential of ways. Their inheritance and mine is a delight; and in my heart they are forever connected.



What a lovely day to have been born - to be, and to have been loved - and to give thanks for all that is yet to come.

In Him, both my lot and my inheritance is secure!


The best awaits.



You have made known to me the path of life;
You will fill me with joy in Your presence,
with eternal pleasures as Your right hand.

Psalm 16:11

18 comments:

Nel said...

Happy Birthday! I love your post. It brought tears to my eyes, after my mom's passing I was going thru some of her stuff, and I too found a little dress that had a fuzzy lamb on the side, that was no longer fuzzy. I didn't remember it, I don't remember her ever showing it to me, but i do know it was mine because when I unfolded it there inside was my hospital bracelet and the card that was on my crib. I wiped alot of tears that day for different reasons, for finding it of course, but for the sadness that she did not share it with me. And that saddened me. Oh well memories... Thanks for sharing yours! And again I hope you have a wonderful birthday friend!

until next time... nel

~*~KIMBERLY~*~ said...

Happy Birthday Kathleen... many blessings to you.

Karen Lange said...

Happy Birthday. You are right, the best awaits! Btw, you were such a cutie:)

manthano said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY.
Even this old brother
you have gained along
the way rejoices in
your getting older.

May the Lord bless you
with many, many more
birthdays.

Beth E. said...

Happy, happy birthday, Kathleen! May God bless you abundantly on this day and in the coming year!

I agree with you...the best is yet to come!

Love,
Beth

Saleslady371 said...

Dear God: Thank you so much for Kathleen's life and all her past accomplishments and growing up in You. Bless her on her journey, Lord. Pour you love down on her on this special day.

Happy birthday, friend,
Mary

Debbie said...

Happy Birthday Kathleen. I loved the photos and the story of your dress. You were adorable.

As I was reading and you mentioned 1948, I thought of the birth of the state of Israel too. My husband was born one year later; in 1949.

I will be moving next weekend so I'll be in touch. After I'm settled, I'd love to meet you for coffee or something.

Love,
Debbie

Denise said...

Happy Birthday sweetie, so glad you are in the world.

skoots1mom said...

you share birthdays with my sister in law...great day to have a birthday!
hope you've had a wonderful day

sonja said...

"I cannot don my birthday garb today without going there - the place of my birth - to give thanks for the boundaries that have allowed me to remain in a pleasant place.:..

It might just as well be MY birthday... the emotions are just as strong as I reflect on the same things you have expressed!

But, it isn't mine, it's yours... and I wish you a heartfelt HAPPY BIRTHDAY, from the little pink dress to the joy and hope of this birthday as you move into maybe the 'best year yet!'...

Birthday hugs!

Sonja

Rita said...

My dear lady, happy birthday to you! What a treasure you have and will always have, for though something were to happen to it, you would still have the memories. I am blessed to have some of my baby an little girl things that my mom had tucked away and gave me before she died. Again Happy Birthday!

Patrina said...

A memorable post! our spiritual hertitage is a legacy for future generations.

Happy Birthday! Happy legacy!

Patrina <")>><

christy rose said...

Happy Birthday to you! what a beautiful post! I love the pictures of you! Hope this was a delightful birthday with many more wonderful memories for you!

Victor S E Moubarak said...

Happy Birthday. Many happy returns.

May God bless you always.

Just a little something from Judy said...

The world was blessed richly the day you were born. Happy Birthday dear friend! This was a beautifully done tribute to the earthly and heavenly family that you are a part of. The pictures of you from the past were adorable, as was the memories of the little dress. And to think that the best of your life is yet to come.

Hope you had a special day celebrating you!

Rose said...

Kathleen,

Happy Birthday!!! Your post for today is so heartfelt. I was moved to tears, I suppose reflecting on my own day so soon approaching and where I came from, but more importantly where I am going!
HUGS!!! Enjoy your day and thank you for blessing us!

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

Happy belated Birtday, Sassyfras! How thankful I am for February 21, 1948...

a day when the stars twinkled brighter, the heavens laughed louder, and our Father smiled broader! A good day for the kingdom...

Love you.

peace~elaine

Susan J. Reinhardt said...

A belated Happy Birthday, Kathleen!

I celebrated mine today, 2/23. I'm blessed to still have my Mom, and thanked her for having me.

Susan :)