Tuesday, February 16, 2010

About That "Y"


It was just a month ago that I shared about the approaching "Y" in my life. There have been many such episodes - some grand & exhilarating; others tame & mundane. In every instance the "Y" means change; and that means something new is about to arrive. I've held my breath on occasion, for certain of the "Y"s have been rather scary.

I don't mean to be enigmatic; there's really no reason to be. You see, next week I turn 62; and while that's of no particular note in itself, it represents a passage point
, much like turning 13, or 21, or 30, or 75.

Yet this particular passage point entails, for me, a more robust searching of my heart than routine.

You see, with the advancing of age I have come to recognize the decision points along the way - many that crystallized with 20/20 hindsight!. These are, most often, associated with the "Y"; and they require some intentional planning.

How wonderful it would be to advance with 20/20 foresight!

Should the "Y" take a sharp rise along a high, steep, winding mountain path I'll need to prepare quite differently than I would if the "Y" leads downward, into a refreshing mountain meadow.

I have worked all my life. I say "worked", but truth be told I've had the great pleasure of sharing office-adventures with the best & the brightest. Work has been a hobby and a delight to me, with only a rare blip of consternation along the way.

What I'm sensing as I approach this "Y" is change in the work landscape for me. Will it entail a high mountain trek or a slow meander along the meadow floor? I think I know, yet I stand at the "Y" in quietness & peace, waiting for that sure word that will advance me in one direction or the other.

Choices. They are myriad. I hope I'm never heard to accuse another of having made choices for me, nor grumbling about having somehow been made a victim of life (the blame game).

I approach this "Y" - this new season of life - with tremendous anticipation and joy. I will either go along the heights, or beside the quiet waters. Either way, I am comforted by the rod & staff that ensure my peace; the right hand that steadies my gait.

Where can I go from your Spirit?

Where can I flee from your presence?


If I go up to the heavens, you are there;


if I make my bed in the depths, you are there.


If I rise on the wings of the dawn,


if I settle on the far side of the sea,


even there your hand will guide me,


your right hand will hold me fast.

Psalm 139:7-10

26 comments:

Donna M. Kohlstrom said...

Seems like I'm standing, waiting and praying at many "Y"s in my life lately.

I think I know which way to go and often plow on ahead only to find I've stumbled and fallen on the path.

At this moment I'm sitting in the deepest part of the valley of decision and looking toward the mountain tops...waiting to hear the whisper of my name and the Hand that will lead me where I need to go.

Tammy@If Meadows Speak... said...

I'm so glad you did a follow up on your Y adventure. Keep us posted as you continue down the path God gives you. It sounds like an awesome Y to be pondering.

cindy said...

Praying for some vision of the Y.

Take care

Yolanda said...

Isn't it amazing how sweet day to day can be, when God is at the healm, guiding us on those Y's?

Lovingly,
Yolanda

~*~KIMBERLY~*~ said...

Beautiful Kathleen. Thanks for sharing.

NanaNor's said...

Hi there, Love this post~hubby and I retired two years ago and there have been some Y trips as well.
Love the changes in life without working but also some major adjustments. Blessings to you as you seek His will for your life.
Hugs, Noreen

Nel said...

My prayers are with you my friend as you pursue your Y. He is definitely walking beside you, for I see Him in your writing always!

until next time... nel

Loren said...

Oh to be at a Y....it can be as you have described sometimes scary yet in the mind of one who looks to the Lord it can be held with great anticipation knowing no matter the end result you will be given opportunities, tests, but with every step of the way the Lord has held fast onto your hand and changed you into more of HIM!

Bless you Kathleen as you experience this one day at a time and see Gods hand steer you every step of the way!

Love you friend

Karen Lange said...

Happy early Birthday! Love that scripture:)

Just a little something from Judy said...

Okay my friend, first of all let me tell you that you most definitely hide your age quite well!!! I would never have guessed the 62 part of your story. Secondly, the Y part was intriquing to me...made me wonder about the choices up ahead and helped me be aware that to pray in specifics for your direction. Will we know in time which way the Y took you?

Psalms 139...love it! Our Bible Study read through it again yesterday. It is most comforting and most encouraging. As for you, you blessed me again with your writing and thinking skills. Maybe one of the directions that the Y will take you will be to use those skills more frequently.

manthano said...

Been through that Y. But
only the Lord can give you
the correct direction. Still
praying for your direction.
May God bless you in making
decisions regarding it.

RCUBEs said...

Having confidence knowing that God is with us, even if we mess up and took a wrong turn, we know that He would be there to turn everything into good. We just need to keep trusting, obeying and loving Him.

May we be able to see those "faith markers" along the way...Blessings.

Rosezilla said...

Changes can be a little intimidating, but when you live in the heart of the Almighty, they are exciting too! I love your new background, speaking of pleasant changes...

Heart2Heart said...

Kathleen,

I feel like I am right there with you at that "Y" although some days it feels like an "X" instead with more choices to take and not quite sure just where one should go.

I pray that God provides that gentle breeze that brushes the side of your face and turns you toward the path He has chosen for you.

Love and Hugs ~ Kat

Runner Mom said...

Love this!! And the scripture is just beautiful. God will see you through the "y" in your precious life!! I wish you an early "Happy Birthday!!" Enjoy!
Love ya!
Susan

sonja said...

It just 'feels like' something is coming here Kathleen. And I think it's going to be good!

Happy Birthday next week... this is a great time to be at the Y... and I can't wait to see which way you go!

Hugs!

Sonja

Denise said...

Lovely scripture, praying for you.

Terri Tiffany said...

I look forward to reading what that choice might be:) It seems we are come to so many Ys in our lives and it really makes a huge difference how we react to them. I'm working now not at a job I love but doing it as a much-needed choice due to my own recent Y. But I hope God reveals to me something sweet as I do it.

Shirl said...

I've gone through that Y myself...last year. However, I was already retired. After Missy's death, we both retired and moved closer to our family. So many changes at one time (dealing with her loss, retired after working all my life, and living in another state after living in the same one our entire life) was difficult, but we believed it was God's will for our life. We're still adapting, but we've come a long way. It's wonderful to be close to family. We love this new area we live in. It's good. It's all good. Blessings as you approach this new Y in your own life.

Deborah Ann said...

Well high five SG! I'm right there with you. The other night I dreamt I was talking to a woman on the phone, and she told me her husband had a word from the Lord. So she put him on the phone, and he said "God says you are done climbing this mountain." I just knew that meant I had made it out of the valley, and for a time I can rest on the mountain top. The next day I had my God time, and in my spirit I saw myself with God at the top of the mountain.

It was such an awesome 'Y' point in my life...

Andrea said...

urgent prayer request on arise 2 write.
andrea

christy rose said...

I am praying that you see ahead in both directions at this Y Kathleen so that you can make the best choice knowing which one has the Lord's arm waving "this way" :) You hear the voice of the Lord, and the voice of a stranger, you will not follow.

Saleslady371 said...

Hi, Kathleen:
If I was a betting woman, I'm guessing you'll take the way of adventure, but I'm sure not going to tell you what to do! hahaha.

Rita said...

Sometimes it is very scary to be at that "Y", yet it can be very exciting also. I retired, then went back to work. It was scary on both occasions and excitig too. I enjoyed being home for three years, then after going back to work, I've enjoyed being with others in the work force once again. Just enjoy the trip, whichever it takes you!

Diana said...

Happy early birthday! I know you will be in the center of God's will regardless of the path.

THE OLD GEEZER said...

You said;
How wonderful it would be to advance with 20/20 foresight!

I'll be 64 this year and my wife and I still make our plans but I,m thankful that God doesn't give me 20/20 foresight about anything in my future. I have difficult enough time handling life on a day to day basis.

Matthew 6:34
Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

May all your future "Y's" be Christ centered,

Ron