Monday, January 18, 2010

In Any Aftermath

Aftermath - consequence, result;
the period immediately following
a usually ruinous event


It's probably no curious thing that my mind is tracking along this theme today. Afterall, given the myriad news reports and scenes out of Haiti, the subject of aftermath is uppermost in the minds of many.

We are hopeful that in the aftermath of this ruinous event the rubble will be removed; people will be found alive; aid will be distributed; calm will be restored; and people will come to know the amazing grace of God's incalculable salvation.

What occurs in an aftermath - be it in Haiti, or elsewhere; even in the solitary, disquieted heart quaked by life - is often linked to the application of rescue. Someone simply must reach out..

And so it is that my heart stirs.

Yes, I am mindful of Haiti. But I am even more mindful of those buried beneath life's rubble, barely alive, in desperate need of water and aid - the ones that don't even realize how bleak is their condition. They are in need of rescue too, and a Rescuer.

We can see with our own eyes the devastation on the ground in Haiti, but across the globe there are so many that don't realize their condition is equally dire. Or maybe they do, and they just haven't heard that hope and rescue is near at hand.

It is true, as Henry David Thoreau tells us:

Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them.

When all is said and done, quakes (both literal and spiritual) will rock our world sooner or later; and all that is not firmly established will crumble - crushing hearth and heart alike. It's not judgment I'm speaking of, but the natural consequence of living in an imperfect world, where all too often we (or our loved ones) have built on sand, using material that simply will not withstand quaking. Nature's fury is not selective.

See to it that you do not refuse him who speaks... His voice shook the earth, but now He has promised, "Once more I will shake not only the earth but also the heavens."The words "once more" indicate the removing of what can be shaken—that is, created things—so that what cannot be shaken may remain.Therefore, since we are receiving a kingdom that cannot be shaken, let us be thankful, and so worship God acceptably with reverence and awe, for our "God is a consuming fire." Hebrews 12:24-29

I will show you what he is like who comes to me and hears my words and puts them into practice. He is like a man building a house, who dug down deep and laid the foundation on rock. When a flood came, the torrent struck that house but could not shake it, because it was well built. But the one who hears my words and does not put them into practice is like a man who built a house on the ground without a foundation. Luke 6:46-49 f]">

May our hearts contain song long before, and long after any quake disturbs them. In any aftermath, may we be found still standing on Solid Rock - for in Him there is no such thing as a usually ruinous event!

"... let all who take refuge in You be glad;
let them ever sing for joy.
Spread Your protection over them,
that those who love Your name
may rejoice in You.
For surely, O LORD, You bless the righteous;
You surround them with your favor as with a shield.
.
Psalm 5:11-12


19 comments:

KelliGirl said...

I've just spent a good bit of time this morning reading about Haiti. I'm overwhelmed by the immensity of the situation. My heart aches for all those wandering looking for loved ones, food, shelter and some semblance of normal.

Like you said there are so many people everywhere lost in the rubble, foundations crumbling, searching for rescue.

Thank God we have a Rescuer and a solid Rock upon whom we can stand.

Thanks for these good words this morning. Good to be back here for a visit!

Loren said...

Such devastation for these people. It is so difficult to even wrap our minds around all that we are seeing and for them the tv doesn't go off.

My heart goes out to all and as you have shared may they find the ONE Rescuer, the Cornerstone of their life and build all things on a strong FOUNDATION with HIM

Bless you my friend

NanaNor's said...

What a wonderful post filled with the truth of a fallen world. Disasters always draw our attention but the hopelessness of lives in ruin should grab us equally. We who have Life must live in a way that gives testimony to the Giver of Life and all good things. Blessings to you this day!
Hugs, Noreen

Rebecca said...

One of the "aftermaths" of such a tragedy are thoughts just like yours - linking the horrible reality that hundreds of thousands are experiencing right now in Haiti - with the personal devastations of millions - some well within our reach.

What CAN we do? What WILL we do? Thank you for stirring up my thoughts and stimulating action today.

Beth.. One Blessed Nana said...

What a great message here today. I am so thankful for God and the fact that He is our Solid Rock!

Beth E. said...

This portion of your post really stood out at me:
"Yes, I am mindful of Haiti. But I am even more mindful of those buried beneath life's rubble, barely alive, in desperate need of water and aid - the ones that don't even realize how bleak is their condition. They are in need of rescue too, and a Rescuer."

One of the most frustrating situations for me is when I see a friend/family member standing on shaky ground...I see it very well, but they can't see it at all. Makes me wonder how many times I've faced things in my own life with blinders on. I guess we stand too close to our own situations, unable to look at them in any other way than our own perspective.

That's why I've begun praying for God to open my eyes so that I can see things as HE sees them.

Another great post, Sassy!

Hugs,
Beth

Debbie said...

Preach on sister! OH, how I so agree with you on this. Disasters and tragedy fills the air waves and news reports but you're so right. We don't know when we will take our last breath. And many do not know where they will spend eternity. The fields are full and now is the time to share the love of Jesus; to be His hands and feet to a lost world.

This actually goes along with my post today on Heart Choices.

Friend, thank you for your kind email. I'm going to take you up on getting together. I'll write more privately.

Love you,
Debbie

Nel said...

What a wonderful post. Thank God for being our Solid Rock.
As watching the devastation in Haiti my heart breaks for them, we just cannot imagine what they are feeling and what they are going through. But as you mention we can look around and see so many that are on shaky ground and are in need of our Rescuer.
What a wonderful post!

Karen Lange said...

I think you've summed it up well. He is our rock, no matter what.

Denise said...

Such a great post, be blessed.

Rose said...

Not much I can add to the wonderfully insightful post and the comments left here other than AMEN!
Blessings,
Rose

christy rose said...

May we all be found standing on The Rock in the aftermath of the quakes in our life. And, I pray that the Rock of Jesus Christ will bring foundation to the people of Haiti too.

Just a little something from Judy said...

My husband and I were talking about this the morning. We were saying just how much we appreciate a solid rock in the many storms of life that we face. A solid, mighty, never changing Fortress to run to...always. My prayer is that I may share freely this Rock of stability with others in a shakey and often unstable world. As for Haiti...my heart just cannot fathom the pain and suffering that is taking place. I am so thankful for the bits and pieces of clinging to the Rock that I hear in the news reports. This was another one of your beautifully shared and insightful posts. Thank you!

Tammy@If Meadows Speak... said...

So many needs, in Haiti and in personal lives. I actually had to stop watching the devastation. It began to negatively impact my sleep and cause my heart to pitter, patter.

A great visually devastating reminder of how our spiritual walk needs to be solid, unshakable. No matter the size on the riechter scale.

Rita said...

I don't want to go to my grave with my song still inside. May we have a song that will bring joy to others. Great post!

LisaShaw said...

My heart and prayers have been going forth for Haiti and for all who are suffering.

I too don't want to go to the grave with the song within me. It's meant to be sung unto the LORD!

Your words here blessed me deeply: "May our hearts contain song long before, and long after any quake disturbs them. In any aftermath, may we be found still standing on Solid Rock - for in Him there is no such thing as a usually ruinous event!"

This is a MEATY post dear friend. Thank you for always drawing me closer to JESUS.

I love you.

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

May we all be found putting our hearts and our hands to the rescuing of this world, no matter our station in life.

Great post, friend.

peace~elaine

prashant said...

This actually goes along with my post today on Heart Choices.

Work from home

Rebecca said...

That Hebrews 12 passage about receiving a kingdom that can not be shaken and our fear and reverence for the King has been running through my mind, too.

Why does it take a crisis to get our attention? After all the appropriate grief and emotion are spent, why is there so little reverence and awe of God remaining? These are questions I ask of myself.