Saturday, January 23, 2010

The gods & Their Consorts

All things are wearisome,
more than one can say.
The eye never has enough of seeing,
nor the ear its fill of hearing.

What has been will be again,
what has been done will be done again;
there is nothing new under the sun.

Is there anything of which one can say,
"Look! This is something new"?
It was here already, long ago;
it was here before our time.

Ecclesiastes 1:1-10

NOTE: More-and-more I am appalled at what is being served up as truth (much less, common sense) when, in fact, it is so far from truth that my head spins. I'm not surprised, just appalled. So, I extend a caution about the linkage to paganism I make in the following piece. This, I confess, is a soapbox!. I continue ...

I suppose it doesn't really matter their names - the gods of old. They were myriad, though most of them seem to be kindred to the god Ba'al, and to his consort, Astarte. From the Sumerian plains they ruled with a generous left hand; a violent right one.

Folklore and archaeological finds tell a good deal about the ancient gods and their habits. A reading of the Gilgamesh Myth (a summary of which can be found online: WSU Education - Mesopotamia & Gilgamesh) is remarkably similar to the Bible's earliest accounts of creation, including a flood narrative. (I find it amusing to hear people say it predates the Book of Genesis, and thus discredits God's Word entirely. How convenient; how utterly unsubstantiated!)

One thing that strikes me about the gods then as now, is how strangely alike they are. They haven't changed much, nor have their consorts. Oh ... they're clever taskmasters, and we may call them by different names (or we may not ascribe to them the attributes of deity), but they are the gods of old as sure as sure can be.

How do I know?

Because their primary nature is to discredit the One True God - even if they do so covertly.

How so? Well, let's just consider a few of the things they teach and/or insist their adherents believe or practice ...

  • Their word conflicts with, or marginalizes the Word of God
  • They insist upon works to gain their attention and/or approval
  • The works they insists upon often require self-abuse/self-imposed suffering
  • They require and/or make light of self-destructive practices, including sexual perversions
  • They permit lessor deities to rule alongside them
  • They place a high regard on nature - what can be seen (the original "green" movement)

Then they (the 400 prophets of Baal) called on the name of Baal from morning till noon. "O Baal, answer us!" they shouted.

But there was no response; no one answered. And they danced around the altar they had made.
So they shouted louder and slashed themselves with swords and spears, as was their custom, until their blood flowed.

Midday passed, and they continued their frantic prophesying until the time for the evening sacrifice. But there was no response, no one answered, no one paid attention. 1 Kings 18:26-29

Today Ba'al and Astarte might be called by different names, or not named at all. Today they may reside in something less tangible - like secularism, or hedonism, or one's pastor, or a faith-healer, or a politician/body politic ??? However & wherever they reside, the resemblance is all-too familiar.

While listening to a radio program this week, I heard it said that "Every worldview (belief system) requires a god." That struck me. It's true: even those that profess unbelief have chosen their god. It could be self, or intellect, or science, or the cosmos. Paganism has infiltrated nearly every aspect of life.

What's more, I contend a person has the right and freedom - at least here in America; and at least today - to practice their belief/unbelief system without censure (unless it's illegal). In this country and elsewhere, even Satanists have rights.

The only way to ferret out the gods among us is to know the One, consortless God and His Word. After all, there is nothing new under the sun.

"You shall have no other gods before me.
You shall not make for yourself
an idol in the form of anything in
heaven above or on the earth beneath
or in the waters below.
You shall not bow down to them
or worship them
."
Exodus 20:3-4

13 comments:

Tammy@If Meadows Speak... said...

So critical Kathleen, to KNOW the one TRUE God through HIS word, through prayer, and most of, through relationship! Something sorely lacking in church, where I once failed to do myself, seek Him out yourself. Don't wait for a man (or woman) to stand in a pulpit and tell you who HE is, or a youth group leader, or a small group leader, no, go and find Him yourself. All the other parts will only be a side benefit to our relationship with Him. To know Him, personally.

Karen Lange said...

I agree, we need to know our Heavenly Father, the real thing, to identify the fake ones. This is what they tell people who work at the bank, know what the real money looks like so you can spot the fake stuff:)
Thanks for sharing this, so timely.
Blessings,
Karen

Andrea said...

We MUST cling to the ONE and only GOD!
Blessings,
andrea

Andrea said...

A huge "Amen" from me! The other gods are all around us. Yet, it is sad that most people do not even realize it. Idol worship has taken over our country in one form or another, and, yes, even in some churches.

Thank you for the well-written truth! That's just one of the things I have come to love and appreciate about your posts, for they are always filled with the boldness of the word. I love that, and I love you!

Take care, and many blessings to you as you prepare for the Lord's Day.

Andrea

Country Wings in Phoenix said...

Amen and Amen...
We knew from our reading there would be false prophets come. We just have to keep reading the word of God, and staying focused on what we DO KNOW to BE TRUE.

I see and hear these false statements every day. We hear things in passing during the day, we read it in the papers, and even we see it on the news. So sad for these people, as they truly believe what they are doing.

I know when I close my eyes at night my heavenly Father is listening and I also know that when I take my final breaths and walk to the gates of heaven, I will hear, "Well done Good and Faithful Servant." The gates will open and I will enter in.

Thank you for the wonderful writing today sweetie. As always you make me think. I love that most. Thank you for sharing Faith with me today.

Country hugs from Country Wings In Phoenix. Love, Sherry

Nel said...

As always very well written. I get excited when I see you have posted, because your words always give me something to think about or jumpstarts me. Thank you for sharing!

until next time... nel

Rose said...

Kathleen, how true. Scripture tells us there is nothing new under the sun. The gods of today may have different names than those in the OT but they are just as false now as they were then.
Great post!
Hugs,
Rose

Jackie said...

Yes and Amen Sister!!!! Thanks for boldly speaking the TRUTH!!!

Hugs and Sweet Blessings!
Jackie

Denise said...

Amen, I am clinging very tightly to Him.

Shirl said...

Amen. I believe we have a responsibility of stewardship to take care of this earth...to recycle and things like that...but the 'green' movement is what you say! I am often amazed at the worship of the creation instead of the Creator.

Beth E. said...

I agree with Shirl...I've always tried to do what I can to respect this planet God has placed us on. I try to do my part with recycling, etc. BUT, I praise and worship GOD and giving Him the glory for creating it. AND...just so you know...I've never hugged anything covered in bark. ;-)

HUGS to you, though, Sassy!

LisaShaw said...

Hallelujah!!

You said it all right here:

"Because their primary nature is to discredit the One True God - even if they do so covertly."

I continue to stand for the One and Only True and Living GOD.

Thanks for speaking His Truth with great power and transparency!

Love ya!

Just a little something from Judy said...

It is so good to have the last twenty minutes to read your latest posts, each one chocked full of powerful words and Truth. This one was so well written, and is something I am becoming more and more aware of...the gods of this world. As I read down through each of the carefully thought out words, I was reminded quite vividly of the verse in Revelation that states,"that someday every knee will bow and every tongue will confess that Jesus Christ is Lord." In the end, our true God will stand. Well done!