Friday, January 29, 2010

The Eternal Now


Bookends. From the dramatic opening scenes in the Book of Genesis, to the breath-taking disclosure in the final chapters in the Book of Revelation, time is given context.

Day & night; hours & seconds; year in & year out; seasons; birth & death - lifespans; chronology. This is the stuff of time.

But what of the stuff
before and after those accounts?

What is the prequel to Genesis; the postscript to Revelation where time is concerned?

In both clear and enigmatic ways, we are told that God is not bound by time (or space, for that matter), He resides in the eternal NOW - a mystery to mortals; a matter-of-fact to Him. He sees past, present & future as one done deal. It's why every nano-second is precious & valuable.

... we urge you not to receive God's grace
in vain.
For He says,
"In the time of my favor
I heard you,

and in the day of salvation
I helped you."

I tell you,
NOW is the time of God's favor,

NOW is the day of salvation.

2 Corinthians 6:1-2

The great I AM - the One Who was, and is, and is to come - speaks of Himself in infinite terms. He tells us He resides in eternity, so that's what we call it.

On His lips it's unfathomable, and we are hushed. On my lips it's an awesome concept, filtered somehow through the foggy lens in which I view the clock. I wonder if it's not just a bit too casual, even in my most robust meditations?

Eternity is a long time, and that alone tells me I've hamstrung the beauty of infinity. Since there's nothing to compare it to, I am left to view it as being opposite to what I know; and what I know is all wrapped up in a finite existence.

Even as I attempt in some small way to get my mind & heart around this wondrous thing, I am grieved beyond belief by the casualness of those that play fast & loose with eternity. If it's a long time in the presence of God, imagine how long it is apart from His presence.

See to it that you do not refuse Him Who speaks.
Hebrews 12:25


In the beginning, God ... Genesis 1:1


Then the angel showed me
the river of
the water of life ...
The throne of God and of the Lamb
will be
in the city,
and His servants will serve him.

There will be no more night.
They will not
need the light
of a lamp or the light of the sun,

for the Lord God will give them light.
Revelation 22:1-5


21 comments:

manthano said...

O.K. You caused me to blow my
mind again. The rubber band that
holds it together stretched until it
snapped.

How correct you are. We are so
careless with the time the Lord
has given us. May we be better
stewards with our time.

Bless you sister.

Andrea said...

Praying I will be a better steward of the time HE has graciously given me.
andrea

Just a little something from Judy said...

We are studying the attributes of God in our Bible Study and we have been looking at this concept of time...that a day is as a thousand years to God. We have been looking at Him as the Eternal God and it truly is a concept my finite mind cannot begin to comprehend. Time is His gift to us and not to be claimed carelessly. Another one of your thought provoking and inspiring posts. It is a gentle reminder to look at each and every moment of life that we are given, and realize it is a gift.

rcubes said...

Long traffic this morning as I was about to drop off my child to his school. Lots of people were impatient and got out of the long line, where our car was the last [at that time]. Great lesson to be learned as I shared with my son that God put eternity into our hearts. We must learn to wait. Patiently. Because as we do so, we grow in character. To be able to value every precious minute here is an asset. Because if we don't, then how are we going to do it for eternity? So unfathomable. Endless. Thank you for reminding me today Sassy Granny to try to be patient and to value every minute that passes by, doing things for His glory...God bless you and keep you. Have a great weekend.

BTW, those people who got out of the long line? They didn't go very far. They had no choice but come around to where they had left off. And the line was even longer. And we got to be first by then at the corner! :)

We got to school 15 minutes even before the bell rang.

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

It grieves me as well, along with being the fuel of my abiding hope. I want to be faithful as a truth-teller, not just on the blog, but in real life as well.

There is so much at stake for all of us.

Beautifully penned, Sassy, from a very contemplative place... I can tell.

peace~elaine

~*~KIMBERLY~*~ said...

A very good message, thank You Father God. I thank You for using Kathleen to get Your message to us. In Jesus' name, amen.

sonja said...

one more time, I'm left smiling...thinking... and sighing...

your word pictures always get me!
The closing is a 'gut check', as I realize how short the time is, and how much is at stake...

Nel said...

Eternity with God... what a picture. I pray that while on this Earth I am a good steward of His time. Thank you for sharing these wonderful words!

until next time... nel

Beth E. said...

My issue with time is that I'm always in such a hurry...rush, rush, rush. Seems like I blink and an entire week passes. Learning to rest in Him is my challenge.

Like several other bloggers (above), I want to be a good steward of my time!

Denise said...

Such a great message, blessings to you.

Terri Tiffany said...

again, I love love the way your words draw us in and tell us the truth. THe most important truth of all!
And yes you could write 30000 words easily--check back on your blog and add the words! You already have:)

Karen Lange said...

Sobering thoughts! Wow, food for thought.
Hugs and blessings,
Karen

Brenda Leyland said...

Timely posting....... He's been reminding me too to be more mindful of the time and to use it wisely.

When you mention the phrase 'prequel to Genesis'..... I thought you might enjoy reading a book by Gene Edwards called The Divine Romance.

I believe God's given this author an heavenly glimpse of what was (or might of have) before time as we know it began. Reading the book really gave me a new perspective on the BIG picture and made me feel so precious when I saw where we as humans fit and belong.

Technonana said...

Using time well...
As we have been laboring with Dan's Mom's illness of late.. this has been on my mind too.
The time is short...
only the things I do for Him will last.
I pray that I will ever choose what is best!
Thanks, Friend!

Crown of Beauty said...

Hi Kathleen,
Your comments on other blogs I visit have caught my attention a few times before, and now I wonder what took me so long to come and visit your blog!

Should have done it a LONG time ago...I had no idea what a treasure box awaits your visitors!

Well, I can always go back to your previous posts, which is what I intend to do,now that I've met you!

Time is one subject that is very close to my heart. Psalm 90 written by Moses will always be among my enduring favorites, and one line in that psalm stands out as a constant reminder to me as to how I should regard time - Teach us to number our days aright, that we may gain a heart of wisdom.

I thank God for leading me to your blog. May you continue to give honor to Him through your words.

Blessings,
Lidj

cindy said...

I have to ask this
After we have passed from this world do experience the same eternity?

LisaShaw said...

Kathleen, it never ceases to amaze me that you speak exactly my heart albeit you write it with eloquent and piercing ease that I don't posses however you speak my heart loud and clear dear sister.

Your words here say it all for me:

"Even as I attempt in some small way to get my mind & heart around this wondrous thing, I am grieved beyond belief by the casualness of those that play fast & loose with eternity. If it's a long time in the presence of God, imagine how long it is apart from His presence."

Thank you for sharing the Eternal Now with us. I love you. I'm praying...

christy rose said...

I have some bloggy love for you over at my place. :)

kesaven guptha said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jackie said...

Thank you for taking the 'TIME" to share words that bless and encourage my heart every "TIME" I drop by for a visit!!!

You bless me!!

Hugs and Sweet Blessings!
Jackie

Shirl said...

I never want to taste a moment of being out of His presence. To spend eternity in such a state...well, I don't even want to think about it!