Monday, January 25, 2010

Courage Is ...

Many have been the days, and many were the occasions when fear sought to intimidate me into reticence and retreat. Sometimes it still does, and then I am reminded that fear is not part of the new creation that am I.

Oh silly me ... how foolish to draw from the sisterns of that other, buried life! How worthless to stir up the imaginary head-waters of a torrent that never flows!

It is His courage that allows my soul to stir along noble themes, and to rise up against that thing that threatens to send me scurrying into denial or detour. It is the spirit - His spirit - of courage & love & of a sound/disciplined mind (2 Timothy 1:7).


A noble man makes noble plans,

and by noble deeds he stands.
Isaiah 32:8

  • It is easy to be brave from a safe distance. - Aesop

  • All serious daring starts from within. Harriet Beecher Stowe

  • The best way out is always through. Robert Frost

  • Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen. ~Winston Churchill

  • He is a man of courage who does not run away, but remains at his post and fights against the enemy. Socrates

  • Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway. John Wayne
Many women do noble things,
but you surpass them all.
Proverbs 31:29


In a large house there are articles
not only of gold and silver,
but also of wood and clay;
some are for noble purposes
and some for ignoble.
If a man cleanses himself from the latter,
he will be an instrument
for noble purposes,
made holy, useful to the Master
and prepared to do any good work.
2 Timothy 2:20-21

16 comments:

manthano said...

Bless you for this post.
Winston Churchill is so
correct, it takes courage
to sit and listen. O! that
we had more courageous
people.

God bless you

Loren said...

Kathleen,

So much here to meditate on! I am going to have to print this one....WOW ~ this is GOOD! May we grow more and more in wisdom and courage!

Thank you my friend ~ this has blessed me so!

Enjoy your Monday

Andrea said...

Kathleen,

Thank you! Much "meat" to think about here!

Blessings,
andrea

Denise said...

Great thoughts sweetie.

Beth.. One Blessed Nana said...

What a fabulous lesson here today. So much good stuff to disect and digest!

You are just amazing my friend!

sonja said...

Yes, yes, yes!! To every quote and each thought in this posting!

Love this. It could be a page out of own book.

Blessings!

Jackie said...

Amen, amen and yes and amen!

So much here, so much to meditate upon and apply to my heart!

Have a courageous and noble, fearless week!!!

Sweet Blessings!
Jackie

Nel said...

Thank you for your words!
Hope you have a wonderful week!

Until next time... nel

Beth E. said...

Aesop's quote cracked me up...that's me! ;-)

Hugs,
Beth

RCUBEs said...

To be His instrument for noble purposes? That would be awesome! Thank you for this great post. Have a great day. God bless.

LisaShaw said...

(chew, chew, chew....digest, digest, digest)...thank you for sharing once again Kathleen, a meaty word.

I almost fell into your words literally for they are oozing with what I needed RIGHT this moment.

Fear is so ugly--so gripping -- so crippling and even paralyzing if not subjected to the power of Christ. As one who came out of a fear based childhood and lifestyle, I can tell you first hand that I have to keep my thoughts aligned with God's word to overcome the fears that attempt to overwhelm me at times.

I am FREE for in Christ there is liberty! Hallelujah!! But at times that old fear devil tries to pop his ugly head back up and I remind him of God's word!! We were not given a spirit of fear but of power, love and sound mind.

I love you and thank you for sharing a strong word of encouragement!!!

skoots1mom said...

fear sneaks up on us like a lion prowling around...
love all your scriptures and quotes
thanks for sharing them

Donna M. Kohlstrom said...

Powerful message on fear and courage. As always...just what I needed to read about today! And the courage to sit and listen. Oh boy...that was a neon sign message for me!

Rose said...

Thank you for the reminder that we have no reason to fear. One of my favorite quotes is "We would never fear what is in front of us if we understood the power behind us." I may not have the quote exactly right, but you get the idea. Loved all the quotes and Scriptures. I needed them!
BLessings,
Rose

Just a little something from Judy said...

You are so right, fear is continuing to grip our society like never before in my lifetime. Courage is needed and this post was so well written. Wow! you make me think, reread and then think some more. I like the quote you shared from Winston Churchill. At this point of my life I mostly find it takes more courage to sit down and listen than it does to stand and talk. I also am discovering that the more time I spend studying the attributes of God, the less time I live facing fear in my life.

beBOLDjen said...

My favorite verse to call to mind when I'm fighting off fear is Habakkuk 3:19 from the Amplified Bible.

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=hab%203:19&version=AMP

Sometimes I have to remind myself over and over again that Jesus is my personal bravery. I'm so thankful it is so!

-Loved the quotes. Thanks for sharing.

PS- my word verification for this comment was "peeho" and I had to giggle. I thought it was kinda fitting considering our topic of fear ;-)