Monday, December 7, 2009

What Wise Men Do


What a compelling reality: wise men seeking Him ...

The first time I saw this sentiment on a Christmas card it captivated me. I mused on it then; I muse on it now. On the one hand it's just a twist on words; clever. On the other hand, it's anything but just a twist. It's a powerful reality.

The law of the LORD is perfect,
reviving the soul.
The statutes of the LORD are trustworthy,
making wise the simple.
Psalm 19:7

Instruct a wise man and he will be wiser still;
teach a righteous man
and he will add to his learning.

The fear of the LORD is the
beginning of wisdom,

and knowledge of the Holy One
is understanding.

Proverbs 9:9-10

The story of the Wise Men is my story; your story. While it's quite likely our sagas do not feature robes & crowns, camels or desert sojourns, they are nonetheless embarked upon at the giving of a summons. Who among us sets out to find something we don't know is missing?

As I scan my youth as far back as I can recall, I realize now (though not then), that I had been seeking from the earliest of my days. His summons was discernible even though my seeking was little more than wanderlust (no focus).

The summons is given to all, but it's heard only when it's sought - even when we're not exactly sure what it is we're seeking.

No seeking. No summons. No wise trek.

For some the process has entailed a long, arduous and costly endeavor, often around and through and beyond dangers that would impede. For others it's been a wondrous journey beneath starlit skies. For some it's been a mixture of both, the bitter and the sweet of our personal testimonies.

Ask and it will be given to you;
seek and you will find;
knock and the door will be opened to you.
For everyone who asks receives;
he who seeks finds;
and to him who knocks,
the door will be opened.
Luke 11:9-10


Let us be forever wise and seek Him - be it towards, or on that day when at last we find what it is we seek, so great a salvation; or in all the days that follow.

Afterall, it's what wise men do.

18 comments:

Rose said...

Amen! I love your comment about "even when we are not exactly sure what it is we are seeking." How true that is. God is drawing us near even if we don't understand it.
Wonderful blog and so appropriate not only for the season, but for all time.
Thank you!
Hugs,
Rose

LisaShaw said...

Oh this is priceless!

You captured my heart-thoughts as well Kathleen.

Thank you for sharing HIM with us as we seek Him all the more.

Love you.

Jay said...

Love christmas song. Merry christmas to you.

Denise said...

Amen dear one.

sonja said...

Wise words on this post and they hit home to everyone. I so remember that 'wanderlust' and lack of focus. Even so... He was there, and His hand has steadied and lead the way. WOW...talk about Christmas blessings!!!

Thanks Kathleen.

Beth.. One Blessed Nana said...

Oh, this is just fabulous. I have been thinking about this lately as well.

I am a seeker. I just love any verse that has that word in it. Jeremiah 29:13 is my all time favorite!


Thanks for this great blessing today!

manthano said...

Appreciated the post. Thanks.
It makes me wonder why we
bother to seek anything else.

God bless you.

Beth E. said...

Seeking Him right along with you, Sassy!

Love,
Beth

Country Wings in Phoenix said...

Oh sweetie...
Amen and Amen. I love this writing. I have written it down so that I will remember to read it now and then to remind myself, I am seeking. I have been asking and I have been knocking, the time is not right, and then again maybe my answer is, I am doing exactly what he wants me to do. There is nothing that he is wanting to change. I have to realize and accept that also. One day at a time.

Thank you for sharing sweeite. I love it when you do. Have a beautiful day at work.

Country hugs...Sherry

Donna M. Kohlstrom said...

When we don't seek Him and let Him direct our way, we fall off the path and get hung up in the briars and brambles. And thank God...He rescues us and sets us back on the path to seeking Him in all things. Only then will we know joy even through the trials.

Just a little something from Judy said...

You know what my visits to this blog are like? The visits are like opening up a treasured devotional book. One that challenges me, one that inspires me, one that makes me think, and one that becomes a weathered favorite, remaining on the coffee table to be read again and again. So, there you have it! I love this post! And, it makes me realize anew, that even my "seeking Him" is a gift.

Thank you!!!!

Wylie said...

Oh, this is a good word!!!
Wylie

Deborah Ann said...

Ah, yes! It is wise to seek. If we never ask, what will be gained? God rewards those who seek Him. What kind of King is this, who rewards those who seek Him? Finding Him is the best reward of all!

Rosezilla said...

Yes, the fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom. Ever notice how the less the world fears God, the more they fear everything else? And yet, God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power, love and a sound mind. Merry and Blessed Christmas!

Diana said...

This was a great post!

Blessings

Runner Mom said...

Such wise words--thank you!! And thank you for the delicious recipe that you left on my blog! I can't wait to try it!!

Hugs!
Susan

Kay said...

Love this.. love the Proverbs verse too. : )

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

Wonderfully said; poetically scripted; personally meaningful. May I be found as wise as they were... and I know what I'm seeking!

peace~elaine