Sunday, December 27, 2009

This Road Leads Home


You will not mind the roughness nor the
steepness of the way.
Nor the chill, unrested morning,
nor searness of the day;
And you will not take a turning to the left or to the right.
But go straight ahead,
nor tremble at the coming of the night.
For the road leads home.
(Mrs. Charles Cowman)

It is a sorrowful thing that some among us have no good memory of home - be it the home of their youth, or the home of today.

Intended as a place of refuge and nurture, it has often been anything but. Souls meant to thrive before the hearth's fire become scorched instead. Home, then, is not a place to be desired. It becomes an elusive, far off thing - the subject of fairy tales and fancy. Perhaps it becomes a thing loathed.

Today it is another home I imagine - one in which I've yet to dwell, or you either. We have visions and dreams of it; yet it's far-off nature and other-worldliness necessitates our ignorance. Even so, we long for it; that place of true refuge and nurture. It is not fancy. It is fact - and a promised one at that!

Up rocky slopes and through verdant valleys ... along pleasant pathways and through fearful forests ... beside still waters and across raging rivers ... near splendid seas and across endless oceans ... we make our way.

Compelled and steadied, we are ever upon the route - the pathway - to that place. We think we go willingly and eagerly, though we know that sometimes we go reluctantly, or with trepidation. We tell ourselves we'll sit to rest; just a little while. But our hearts know we have no such intention. Our real desire is to set up camp and take not one further step.

Rarely do we get to choose which way the course will go, and frequently we are tempted to take a detour in this direction or that - and further tempted to run around or quickly through certain stretches. Sometimes we long to make the journey itself our home. Yet we know it is not.

At the end of the day we shall arrive there. Home. It is where we long to be yet rarely want to go. Methinks that's because the road - the route - is not to our liking. Yet it is the way, for the road leads Home.

.
.
I guide you in the way of wisdom and
lead you along straight paths.
When you walk, your steps will not be hampered;
when you run, you will not stumble.
The path of the righteous is like
the first gleam of dawn,
shining ever brighter till the full light of day.
Let your eyes look straight ahead,
fix your gaze directly before you.
Make level paths for your feet
and take only ways that are firm.
Do not swerve to the right or the left;
keep your foot from evil.
Proverbs 4:11-12, 18, 25-27
.
.
Thomas said to Him,
"Lord, we don't know where you are going,
so how can we know the way?"
Jesus answered,
"I am the way
and the truth and the life.
No one comes to the Father
except through me.
John 14:5-7
.

21 comments:

Andrea said...

Amen!
Longing for the secure home my Heavenly Father provides!

sonja said...

Thank God for the hope of "Home"...glad the 'lights are on' again!

Debbie said...

Such words of wisdom! This isn't our true home; we're just passing through on our way to our true Home.

Welcome back to our blogging world for now.

Love,
Debbie

Sheryl said...

beautiful!! i've been realizing lately that my mind needs to be more focused on THAT home and not this one.

Karen Lange said...

What wonderful thoughts and scriptures. This is the truth and hope that guides us:)

Beth E. said...

Remembering that this world is only temporary helps me cope. Though the road to home may be rough, it helps us appreciate our arrival all the more.

Love,
Beth

manthano said...

Helps me see how blessed I have been
with the home(s) God has given me
with here on earth. But long even more
for that final home with Him.

Runner Mom said...

This was so perfect for me during this time. Thank you!
Hugs!
Susan

Just a little something from Judy said...

There are days we do loose sight of this compelling truth, finding ourselves in unrest and somewhat distraught. Then, through His loving guidance in one of many ways, He reminds us that this truly is not our home. "Home" for us is ahead, and I love how you shared the description of the journey. Peace...real peace comes to me in those quiet and comforting moments when I am reminded of my real home, and the true love for me by the one who is doing the leading. I must say this was one of my favorite of your posts.

Saleslady371 said...

Oh the final home...rest for sure.

Susan J. Reinhardt said...

Wonderful thoughts. Sometimes we get discouraged and forget this world isn't our home.

Blessings,
Susan :)

Rita said...

Some people have wonderful, loving homes to go home to and others would just as soon be anyplace else, but thankfully, He has a mansion prepared for us when the time comes! Bless His name.

KelliGirl said...

As I'm away spending time with my family, I'm reminded that as wonderful as our time together is, this is not our final home. My mind can't conceive how amazing our heavenly home will be.

Rose said...

What wonderful thoughts...the road home. I can't imagine what it will be like but I know it will be glorious.
Hugs,
Rose

Diana said...

Thanks for a beautiful post! You bless us all the time.

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

My road home has been littered with detours as of late, keeping my eyes from focusing on a good, straight, and forward finish. My eyes haven't been careful to keep to the path, but I'm back on it, sister Sassy. And I'm so glad we're walking it together and will finish in the same place.

How I pray to never grow too cozy with my life here--just for the gnawing ache to continue and to keep me to my knees in anticipation.

peace~elaine

Shirley said...

The older I get, the better home looks! I long to see loved, familiar faces now waiting for me there.

They call me "Deb" said...

As an 'alien' in this place, I can't help but wonder what 'home' really looks like. To know Jesus has been there all these years 'preparing' it for us is beyond what I can imagine.
Beautiful thoughts. Thank you for sharing.

Technonana said...

Oh My Sweet Sister, how completely you tell of the home that awaits us... the home that we Long to know without even realizing it!!
Home should be one of the sweetest words we know... Home.. the sound of it, the feel of it as it rolls off of our tongues... to know the sweet peace of it and long for it, and the one who is preparing it for us!! Calling us to it!! Oh What a Savior!!

Winging It said...

Yes! And AMEN! We are HOMESICK! I can't wait! I mean that it in a good way. It's just that the goodness, the incomprehensible sweetness of it...it thrills me, it beckons!

Love your thoughts!
Maria

If Meadows Speak said...

Oh that I would have the grace to take the route that leads me to my forever Home! May I not detour, but instead, let Him be my road map. Thanks for sharing and for visiting me at "my place"!