Sunday, December 13, 2009

The Prince of Peace

It happened just this week. My soul stirred within me. It was disquieted and in need of calming, but at that very moment it remained silent, alert. My ear was bent; so, too, my heart.
.
I'd been listening to someone deeply troubled - an unbeliever - as they poured out their wearied thoughts to me. They were, at present, buffeted by a long & bitter storm; one that had lashed them with wind & driving rain, bone-piercing cold. It had come in waves. Their voice was lackluster and weak; their own soul disquieted.
.
Tears stung my eyes, and words escaped me.
.
How I love this one, and I longed to be of comfort. Truth be told, my encouragements seemed little more than meager morsels. I could find no blanket to warm them; no food to nurture them. My mortal ministrations were limited almost entirely to the listening ear.

.
Yet after a time, from my mouth came this utterly foreign statement: Yours are conflicts I know all too well, and until I surrendered to the Prince of Peace they were conflicts unending.
.
I'd given no direct invitation, but the response was swift: Thank you, but no thank you.
.
Afterwords I thought to myself: You silly ninny; what were you thinking? That was a bizarre way of comforting someone, and an even more bizarre rendition of the Gospel. Where'd that come from, anyway? Prince of Peace?
.
It was an odd thing to have said, or at least odd for me. It arrived on my lips out of the blue; not my typical choice of words or use of terms. Prince of Peace. Why had I selected it from the many other choices contained in my heart?

For a long time my disquietude refused it's own comfort. I hurt for the troubled one. I taunted my own disturbed soul for having spoken so enigmatically.
.
A short time later, at church, I found myself utterly speechless as the message unfolded. You might know, it centered around the joy & hope offered solely in the Prince of Peace!

At once I had the sense that it was more than a message, at least for me. It was God's way of confirming the words I'd spoken, and further confirming their power - His power - to bring peace to the troubled one, and to all.
.
Truly there are better comforts, better gifts than meager morsels.
.
For to us a child is born,
to us a son is given,
and the government will be on His shoulders,
And He will be called ...
... Wonderful Counselor
... Mighty God
... Everlasting Father
... Prince of Peace.
Isaiah 9:6
.
Peace I leave with you, My peace I give you.
I do not give to you as the world gives.
Do not let your hearts be troubled
and do not be afraid.
John 14:27
.

23 comments:

Debbie said...

Kathleen, isn't our God amazing? How He ministers to His children just when they need it most.

I too have spent time ministering to unbelievers but their eyes are blinded. They just don't get it. And yet, I continue to pray that the Holy Spirit would draw them to Him as only He can. May we not give up though and continue to be obedient in sharing. We are responsible for sharing but not for their response.

Sending you love and hugs this morning,
Debbie

Rose said...

Kathleen,

I just love those moments when God is moving and we sort of scratch our heads in confusion and all of a sudden the pieces start falling into place and we have one of those "oh wow" experiences.

Lately that seems to happen more and more frequently, like God is confirming everything to HIS believers.

Hugs!

Rose

Melinda said...

Oh, the beloved "a-ha" moment! They never cease to stop me short and fill me with awe.

He knows what He's doing, doesn't He?

Love you friend,
Melinda

Beth E. said...

Praying for your friend, that she will know come to know the Prince of Peace as her very own.

I love it when God confirms His word!

Love to you, my friend...

Karen Lange said...

You never know what seeds a 'word fitly spoken' will produce down the road, even if it seems to you to be a 'word oddly spoken'. I'll pray for this person dear to you, and for you too, that you will have more of those fitly spoken words. Blessings:)

Donna M. Kohlstrom said...

Powerful post.

Sometimes it's only a few precious words that bring peace to a troubled soul.

Shirley said...

I love how God confirms!

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

the Prince and his peace will always be a confrontational "word" meaning a choice has to be made; either yes or no... no middle ground. Your offering therein was the greatest word of comfort you could have offered on that occasion. I think the response quite telling of the "weight" your words carried.

Thank you for bending low to listen, and then for the "follow through" to speak your heart. God is faithful to tend those seeds, sister.

I love you for being the woman you are. You're doing good kingdom work!

peace~elaine

manthano said...

Sounds like the Holy Spirit was speaking
through you.

He will use those words in His own time
and way for that person.

God bless you for letting Him speak
through you. With out the concerned
heart - would He have?

Joan Carr said...

I'm glad I know the Prince of Peace.

Sounds like the Holy Spirit was working through you to speak to your friend. And then God delivered a sermon just for you about the Prince of Peace to calm your fears. What a God we serve.

RCUBEs said...

The other person might have said "no, thank you" for now. But like what Isa.55:11 says, "so is my word that goes out from my mouth:It will not return to me empty,but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it.."

The Lord is awesome, quick to remind you of the Peace that comes from knowing Jesus. God bless and have a blessed Christmas.

Denise said...

God's timing is always perfect.

KelliGirl said...

Kathleen,
How awesome to see God work through you in such a direct way! I know the self-chastisement that comes from clumsily handling a situation. But as you saw, your word were exactly as they should have been. Honest, gentle and filled with healing truth. Only God knows when and if your loved one will turn her no into a yes. You have done you part for now.

Love ya,
Kelli

Just a little something from Judy said...

"Peace"...the world cries out for it. Even believers at times search for it in many wrong places. We know it has to be somewhere, and sometimes we aren't even aware of our seach. Then in the stillness of the moment, we are reminded of The One True Issuer of Peace...real Peace is available to us, freely given. The Prince of Peace...what better words could you have shared. The outcome of those shared words is His...now ours. It is always the case. Who of us knows what the power those words can produce. You were directed my friend.

They call me "Deb" said...

May your friend come to know the Prince of Peace who's peace passes all understanding.
Praying that as God spoke through you - your friend's heart was touched so deeply that the Holy Spirit was able to penetrate and cause her to ponder.

christy rose said...

I love it when that happens, when words pour forth from my mouth and I wonder "wow, where did that come from."
The statement that you made is quite amazing and some day the one that you were ministering to will recognize and understand the depth that was in them. Jesus did come to bring us peace in every way, first and foremost with God Himself. But, truly He calls Himself the Prince of Peace which means that He is the One who brings us peace and He is the One who maintains and rules over it within us. He is the Ruler of our Peace. As we learn to trust Him and let Him rule, the experience of His gift to us will be more and more evident in every area of our lives. So much wisdom came forth from your lips in that saying.

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

OK, Mrs. Sassy...

Just got in from the mailbox, and am beyond excited to be introduced to Margaret Feinberg. Where do I begin? With the "organic God" or the "sacred echo"; please advise.

This made me day, and I can already tell that my contemplative juices are at the ready. Will dig in later today but would like your recommendation please.

Thanks for loving me so tangibly. Couldn't have come at a better time.

peace~elaine

Denise @ A Sacred Longing said...

A "no thank you" may have been the immediate response but the Word was spoken and a seed was planted. We don't always see the results but yet we have many opportunities to till, prepare and plant.

Shalom,
Denise

Saleslady371 said...

You sound like a wonderful listener, Kathleen, and I can't think of a better suggestion than surrendering to the Prince of Peace. Bet your friend thinks about this wonderful advice.

Bless you,
Mary

Andrea said...

Your friend could not have a better friend than you, who shared with obedience and love.

There is no better gift than our dear Prince of Peace. I will take this into my heart and dwell on it today. I want to absorb it like a sponge.

Thank you for dropping by my place to share your kindness and love. God is so good, and I thank Him for your precious friendship and your abiding love, hope, and faithfulness to Jesus.

Blessings to you and much love!

Andrea

Deborah Ann said...

Can I share? I had a similar thing happen.

I was working out at Curves. I was sharing about God, how His presence showed up mightily at a conference I had gone to. The instructor interrupted me and said God belongs in a church, not in a fitness center. I was scared to go back! She must have thought I was totally whacko. But...

The next time I went back, she met me at the door. She said "I've been thinking over and over about what you said last week. What is it like when God shows up somewhere, unannounced?"

So here I was, feeling like a fool, in the wrong place at the wrong time, etc. But the Holy Spirit took those seeds and planted them! Praise God!

~*Michelle*~ said...

Praying for your friend...have no doubt that you have planted the Seed...and now....let the watering/nurturing begin!

John 14:27 is such a passage of peace, isn't it?

Merry Christmas, my friend!

beBOLDjen said...

*Chills*

Greg's message Sunday was definitely annointed. I couldn't stop nodding my head. I must have looked crazy to people. The Lord was wringing every drop of His Spirit out of those words filling my heart with so much joy.