Friday, December 11, 2009

In the Course of Time

In the course of time ...

And it came pass ...

After many days ...

In the beginning ...

At the end ...

There it was again in my morning's scripture reading; that bridge between what is and what would be. It reads differently in various places, but it's meaning is the same nonetheless. Some things take time. Some things - if not most things - entail a process.

By definition, Merriam tells us that a course is the act or action of moving in a path from point to point; or a path over which something moves or extends. It's both a verb and a noun. It's both an action and an object. I like that; a word that multi-tasks!

What I don't like is the span's implication - the space or time between what is and what is to come. Oh, I like it well enough for someone else alright; or, for that matter, God. After-all, hundreds of years can pass quickly in the scriptures; years that flow, seemingly without notice, between versus two and four, or fifteen and sixteen.

It's when the object of action - the course of time - affects me that it's not so endearing.

Yet it's been with the passage of time - in the course of my own living - that I have come to value the treasure of spans. More so, I value what is wrought in their passing. Put another way: the journey is (or has the potential of being) as remarkable as arriving.

The challenge to me - particularly as a younger believer, but even now in my gray-haired, supposedly more mature state - is how best to live during and along the courses. I dare say and even confess that my inclination is towards clamor, or impetuousness. Thus the reason behind the challenge.

From clamorous to quieted, the course is always the same ...:

"Be still, and know that I am God;
I will be exalted among the nations,
I will be exalted in the earth."
The LORD Almighty is with us;
the God of Jacob is our fortress.

Psalm 46:10-11

I am God, and there is no other;
I am God, and there is none like me.
I make known the end from the beginning,
from ancient times, what is still to come.
I say: My purpose will stand,
and I will do all that I please.
Isaiah 46:9-10

Commit your way to the LORD;
trust in him and he will do this:
He will make your righteousness shine
like the dawn, the justice of your cause like
the noonday sun.
Be still before the LORD
and wait patiently for him
Psalm 37:5-7

Your beauty should not come from outward
adornment, such as braided hair and the
wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes.
Instead, it should be that of your inner self,
the unfading beauty of
a gentle and quiet spirit,
which is of great worth in God's sight.
1 Peter:3-4

In the course of time, of course.
.

14 comments:

Rose said...

Kathleen,
You have to stop getting inside my head. I was thinking "how does she know this about me?"
Be still, be quiet, wait, are all words that my mind resists. I get caught up in the "now" and have no patience for "what will be." That has been such a challenge to learn to wait on God since he isn't remotely concerned about whether I like to wait on him or not. He just say's "WAIT".
Thank you for this blog, it so speaks to me.
Hugs and have a blessed day.
Rose

Beth.. One Blessed Nana said...

Beautifully written! I just love the scriptures. Each one speaks such joy to my heart.

You are precious!

Just a little something from Judy said...

In the stillness of my lunch hour I have been blessed to visit this blog, and reflect. Speaking to me in my heart is the last part of Isa. 46:10, "My purpose will stand and I will do all the I please." Only in our times of stillness and communion with Him, does the calmness and the peace in the reality of those words, bring us real hope this Christmas. Hope in knowing He is God. Our living God with a plan from ages past...to ages that will come. So beautifully expressed!

Heart2Heart said...

Kathleen,

What beautiful scriptures to sit back and reflect on. The older we get the easier I think it gets to pass the time and wait things out. It's all in God's timing anyway!

Love and Hugs ~ Kat

Sheryl said...

oh the things HE does in the course of time! so, so, so worth it. i try to cling to that as i wait.

hope you have a great weekend, my friend. love ya.

sonja said...

... this one was written for me...how did you know?? Such true words, and boy do they apply to me. Gray hair (at least we assume it is probably gray, but no one really knows for sure) does mean that by now there are lessons we have learned. But... the journey continues, and so do many of the old familiar struggles, some less, some healed, others calmoring for attention. The human "me" part still battles with the wholly yielded heart. The BE STILL verse is a lifelong instruction for me, and no doubt for many others...

I loved this!

Wylie said...

Oh, I just love this & your precious heart!!!
Wylie

Denise said...

Fantastic.

Kay said...

Lovely. You speak with wisdom. Thank you for this reminder that how we live in the meantime is often the most important living we do!

Blessings!
Kay

Deborah Ann said...

Beautiful message my dear sister. It's like you looked inside me, and then made poetry of my thoughts. You are a treasure! I pray you have the most joyous Christmas ever!

christy rose said...

The space of time between what is and what is to come, the course of time. The challenge is how best to live during and along the course of time or in the journey. Wow! so True! I love the Scriptures that you shared here too. Thanks Kathleen.

Tori said...

This was so lovely to read. Thank you for a great post! He's a great GOD!
BTW, have a great Lord's Day today!

Beth E. said...

Time and again, you bring a message to through your posts just for me! Well, I'm sure it's not JUST for me, but it sure seems that way!

Thank you for reminding me to be still and wait for the Lord. His timing - not MINE - is perfect!

Hugs,
Beth

A Gracious Home said...

I think the star was God's glory. It's the light that was with Israel in the wilderness and in the Tabernacle. Thank you for the interesting post. Merry Christmas, Doylene