Monday, October 12, 2009

What I Learned fron the GPS

Technology both baffles and delights me. I'm a huge fan of digital cameras, microwave ovens, cell phones, the internet and most modern medical practices.

However, never have I been a champion of the GPS (Global Positioning System), probably because I've had little call to use one. I also don't have a clue as to how it works.

I've learned that it
uses signals from satellites in Earth's orbit to identify the latitude, longitude and altitude of the user. All of which seems a bit sophisticated, if not downright superfluous, in making one's way around on any given day.

But what if it's not any given day?

Perhaps I've been too hasty in my assessment.

As we've navigated here in Europe, I can tell you we'd still be trying to find our way out of Dusseldorf had we not had one. In fact, we've grown quite fond of ours. We've named it/her Brunhilda.

But it's not really the GPS I'm fascinated with this day. It's what I've learned:
  • It's only as reliable as the coordinates you feed it.
  • It's important to get the right country/destination entered, as well as the right city. Many places have the same or similar name.
  • So long as you don't second-guess it's directives, you really do end up in the right place.
  • It cannot take into account road changes made since it was last updated.
  • It never hurts to use common sense in conjunction with it.
  • It always know where you are.
There's a good many life lessons, if not spiritual parallels to make with the GPS - some powerful & good; some rather scary. To think my whereabouts could be known (even 6 levels below grown in a parking garage) at any given instant is both comforting and disturbing.
.
I'm not sure Brunhilda cares.

.

9 comments:

Denise said...

Thanks for sharing.

Just a little something from Judy said...

You are right! When my daughter and I were trying to find our way around the city of Dallas, TX for the first time, we were so grateful for our GPS. In fact, by the time we had to leave, I had a new best friend...the man's voice in the GPS.

There have been times lately, as I am waiting on God for some answers to big decisions I face, that I wish God would operate like the man on my GPS...turn here, go there, stay on this road...Okay, I know His ways are perfect, unlike the GPS

Great post! Hope you are having some special times on your trip.

KelliGirl said...

First of all, I can't wait to hear more about your trip! I've been to Lake Luzern and loved getting a glimpse of it in your last post.

Second, I have become a big fan of GPS. We first used one on an off-the-beaten-path road trip and the way it got us from point A to point B made me a convert!

I love your spiritual comparisons. We just never know where God will show up to reveal Himself, do we?

Enjoy the journey!

Donna M. Kohlstrom said...

Thank God He always knows where we're at and never forsakes us on our journey through life!

Andrea said...

As I was reading, I couldn't help but parallel the GPS with GOD and the Bible. Many times in my life I have solely depended on GOD and HIS word to get me out of a storm. Without HIM....where would I be now?

RCUBEs said...

He is the Ultimate GPS!!! And error-proof! Not like our man-made GPS which would tell you to make a turn but what would you do if there was nowhere to go to? My son enjoys it when a street's pronunciation sounds funny...Like what you said, "it never hurts to use common sense"...Take care Sassy.

Heart2Heart said...

Kathleen,

With my hubby traveling so much for work, his GPS is a life saver for him. He goes no where without one and my youngest named it as well, ours is called Jenny! Not sure where the name came from but I am glad to know that Jenny is helping him find his way.

Love and Hugs ~ Kat

Nel said...

I am like you I have grown to like our GPS, but it doesn't know everything. We used it on our trip out west, and was very glad we had it. However when we used it going to our Anniversary destination, it did not have the roads updated, and at one point we ended up in someones driveway... Gotta love those memories! lolol
Thanks for sharing!

Saleslady371 said...

I agree with your analysis of the GPS and you make an interesting parrallel to the spiritual!