Monday, October 5, 2009

H2O Go


Today I graduated from a wannabe local to the real deal. I navigated my way to-and-from Old Town via the rail system! Alone!
.
Can I get a cheer?
.
Among our group is another solo spouse who just happens to be a Kathleen herself. We met up for a day of meandering and sight-seeing, with a wee bit of shopping tossed in. Hubby will be delighted because the only thing I purchased was for him: a beautiful wood cheese board with a built-in cutter, and three wood handled spreaders.
.

It rained the entire day, though it certainly didn't dampen our enthusiasm for girl-chat and adventure. My new friend was gracious enough to snap this photo of me with angels overhead (a wet head, I might add). I think it rath
er prophetic, if not poetic.
.
Come to find out the other Kathleen is also a Christian, so our day quickly became a time of sharing - fellowship - that is synonymous with sisters (ya'all know what I mean). She also happens to be Native American, so over lunch (scrumptious lamb with the most amazing mixed-vegetable dishes I've ever eaten) I was riveted by tales of her great-grandfather, a tribal chief (the Osage Tribe of Oklahoma), and her princess grandmother.
.
Did I say it rained? Well, it rained. The temperature never did rise above 60 degrees, and by the time I made my way back to the hotel I was sopping (my umbrella having been inconveniently left behind at the Trade Center during yesterday's excursion). Oh well, I'm from Washington State (51 years worth), so I'm no stranger to the wet stuff. It was rather fun, actually ... sort of like being a child again, without care.
.
T
he highlights of the day are many, and varied. But with verve not typical, I artfully made my way onto the train and off again, which ranks right up there near the top. I'm now emboldened to do it again.
.
Tomorrow I will tackle some new thing, God willing. I've got four more days of solo navigating while hubby works before we leave on Saturday to roam the larger lands of Germany's Rhine River and Black Forest.
.
Now for some hot cocoa and a helping of gratitude.
.


.

19 comments:

Alleluiabelle said...

Hi Dear Friend,

What a great time you are having. I so enjoy your pictures. I've never been outside of the US except for Canada so I am thrilled to see you and your pictures.

What a great God we have. He puts people in our paths even while traveling. What fun to spend time with another Christian who happens to be named Kathleen.

Thank you for sharing your trip with us. I truly enjoy it. I may not be commenting these days as I would like, but I still stop in to read about what's going on in your life.

Love you Kathleen,
Alleluiabelle

RCUBEs said...

So glad to hear that you had a wonderful time despite the rain. That's what I remember when I went to Denmark. It always rained a lot. But I love the coolness and freshness of the atmosphere.

What an amazing guidance from Him...that you learned to take their rail system, all to yourself! Yay!!!

That's something worth remembering, that you were able to meet a fellow sister and had the same 1st name? God is surely there making all these things happen. So, you go Granny and enjoy more cocoa!!!God bless.

Andrea said...

Kathleen,

Thankful you found another Christian Kathleen on your journey. Congratulations on venturing through the rail system on your own.
Have a continually blessed journey.
andrea

Heart2Heart said...

Kathleen,

How great it was to find a fellow name sake on your vacation as well as a fellow Christian. God is just blessing you in so many ways. Love the picture with the angels!

Love and Hugs ~ Kat

~*Michelle*~ said...

This vacation sounds wonderful! And how awesome that God brought another Believer for you to fellowship with....I can only imagine sitting with great food and listening to stories of her heritage.

oh, and beautiful photos too!

KelliGirl said...

Kathleen,
I have just spent time catching up on your last several posts and am enamored and enthralled! I have been to Europe, but never Germany and I love learning about it from your experiences. The trip sounds glorious (except for the rain) and to be away for three weeks. I am so envious!!!

Is it a coincidence that wanderlust is a German word? Mine is incredibly piqued.

BTW, 43 pounds of luggage for three weeks is pretty darn impressive!

Have a safe, blessed and thrilling journey.

Nel said...

WTG! I am so glad you are having a wonderful time. Speaking of wonderful, isn't God wonderful. He placed a Christian sister for you to pal around with! He knows all of our needs and wants! Enjoying visiting Germany through you. Thanks for sharing and God Bless!

MOMSWEB said...

WOW! You tackled the rail system ALONE? (clap, clap, clap, bravo). I'm not sure I would have been as brave. Glad you're having a great time and I'm glad I dropped by.

Just a little something from Judy said...

It never ceases to amaze me when I travel, how often I meet other fellow believers. It is always a joy to sit and talk to them, as I am sure your day was with this lady. I do think you are brave to venture out in a new city like you did. Actually, I admire you for that. I am enjoying this trip, each day of it. Thank you for sharing.

skoots1mom said...

so much fun :)
enjoy and continue being safe...
Kathleen's stories would be interesting to hear in person :)

Denise said...

Sounds like you are having a wonderful time, so happy for you.

Saleslady371 said...

I am very proud of you navigating alone in another country. So glad you found a kindred spirit in that beautiful place. I'm enjoying the rain!!!!


Your desert friend,
Mary

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

2 Kathleens in one location; now that's danger waiting to happen. Glad for your wild exploration and bravery. Enjoy.

peace~elaine

Beth E. said...

That is a great photo of you...I clicked on it to see the closeup version. Beautiful! You absolutely glow.

I'm so glad you have someone to tour with, while your hubs is working. Sounds as if you are having an awesome time.

Verve...still keepin' me on my toes, aren'tcha, sistah?! ;-)

Love,
Beth

christy rose said...

It sounds like you are having a great time. Making friends and everything! Enjoy that cocoa and the remaining portion of your trip Sassy! :)

Runner Mom said...

Love these pictures and tales of your adventures! How fun, you brave girl! Bouncing all over Europe by yourself--sorta! I caught up on what you've done--continue to enjoy yourself, sweet friend!!
Hugs!
Susan
PS--I'm a much better glue gunner than a seamtress!! :)

a woman who is said...

I wandered over here from Judy's and have had a great time perusing your blog. Sounds like you are having an amazing trip. Your words of life and wisdom are compelling. By the way you do not look like a granny :D

LisaShaw said...

Aww, what fun! Love the photo and glad you found a friend.

Enjoy!

beBOLDjen said...

Whhooo Hooooo (that's your cheer) Keep on truckin' Sassy!

I'm so glad you are enjoying your adventures!