Friday, September 18, 2009

The Night Arrival

Since January of 2000, Arizona has been our home. Hubby and I migrated here to eradicate the webbed feet acquired while living 50+ years in the Pacific Northwest. We have never looked back.
.
It also put us in proximity to my sister Barbara (2nd oldest of we four girls; shown here) - the one I often refer to as the Sister-Mom. Throughout my life she has spoken buoyancy into my soul; and all the more since our mother's passing long ago.
.
Yes, Arizona is officially home now. I realize it's climate is not for everyone. Having just passed through another of it's summers I understand how 110 degree temperatures might be daunting to some.
.
I'm daunted at times too - in particular on those nights when the thermometer hovers at 85 degrees and the air conditioner (and dollars) run non-stop. On those nights it would seem the sun has never set.
.
So now that the days have shortrened and the temperatures are gradually descending, I welcome night and the promises it brings. What incredible, limitless promises they are!
..
When the sun has at last bedded down for the night, I step outside and my skin is awakened to the cool; my heart lights up as though darkness is but a pretender.
.
It is then that night air reveals the scent of something vague, but gripping nonetheless.
.
Is it the convincing proof that night has truly fallen? Could it be the promise of those things to come, like sunrise, or pumpkin pie, or the decorating of a Christmas tree? Maybe it's the knowing that I'll soon be able to leave windows open at night, silencing the air conditioning? Or perhaps it's the certainty that children and grandchildren and sisters will be arriving from far away to enjoy the unique beauties of the forever-Spring that rises here in October?
.
Then again, might it not be the bigger, grander promise that every promise spoken by God will all come to pass ... maybe tonight?
.
Whatever it is, it is welcome - even if it only arrives at night.
.

Night, the beloved.
Night, when words fade
and things come alive.
When the destructive analysis
of day is done,
and all that is truly important
becomes whole and sound again.
When man reassembles
his fragmentary self
and grows with the calm of a tree.
Antoine De Saint-Exupery
.

17 comments:

Shirl said...

A lovely read over my morning coffee!

Diana said...

Enjoyed reading this so much. Thanks for a great one!

Melinda said...

We relish so many of the same things, sweet Sassy. The night speaks promise to my soul, as well.

Hugs to you,
Melinda

Saleslady371 said...

Being an Arizona resident, I enjoyed every line. As we sat on our front deck last evening, we noticed how very dark it was and tonight is no moon (or new moon)...Rosh Hashanah! Happy New Year, dear friend. Shalom.

Donna M. Kohlstrom said...

I empathize with your weather as it is still in the 90's and humid here in FL. Can't wait to open windows and cool weather. Wonder if the windows still open as it's been months shut!

One of the great things about God and His creation is that it's ever changing and wonderful.

rcubes said...

I've been a night owl working for 19 years now...Something vague coming? I believe so...I like to think of it as surprises are waiting to be opened as soon as dawn comes. And night gives me that wonderful time to reflect on what those surprises might be. Whether good or bad surprise, I trust in the Lord that He is there with me. What a calming post! Blessings to you.

Pat's Place said...

Beautifully said from one hot climate to another! I, too, am enjoying cooler temps in the mornings and evenings. Makes one appreciate them so much more after enduring our 100+ summer!

Beth.. One Blessed Nana said...

Beautifully written post. I enjoyed this very much!

You are a sweet blessing.

Beth E. said...

How beautiful! I love the poem, too.

If you ever yearn for fall colors and winter wonderlands, then you know you are welcome to visit me in the AppaLATCHian mountains! ;-)

Denise said...

Such a beautiful post.

a portland granny said...

What a great post! Night time can be a magical time of day. Here in the NW, as you know, on hot days, we can count on cooler nights...however, this past summer we experienced hot nights on several occasions and for those without air, it can be very uncomfortable.

I just love the way you weave your words together in this post!!

MOMSWEB said...

This was simply beautiful!

~*Michelle*~ said...

Oh I love how you express everything.....how about we swap (in our own virtual way)....I'll send you some beautiful fall foliage from New England, and you send me some of those Arizona painted desert views.

And one last thought.....

We need the darkness of the night to really see the true Light.

have a beautiful weekend~
xox

Technonana said...

I love the cool of the evening in the fall and spring... Papa and I throw open the french doors on the back of the house and let in the fresh air.. some nights we have a picnic on the porch with our beach music blaring(remembering our youth). Sometimes we just sit and listen to the 'critters' that sing and stir in the evening. In the spring it's the call of the Whip-0-will that lifts our spirits as he calls to his mate.

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

Evening draws me, calls to me, and welcomes me after long days of well-doing. Truly, I find rest in the after hours, even when my sleep is restless.

Makes me want to head to AZ just to feel the breeze of night.

peace~elaine

Kim said...

Beautiful.

I am still adjusting to living in the southern hemisphere and having my seasons topsy-turvy with Christmas in summer. I wasn't ready for the crisp autumn days of June or the frosty cold nights of July this year.

Maybe next year I will be.

Beverlydru said...

I always enjoy my visits to your blog. I think I could adjust to Arizona easier than the Pacific NW because of tehe sunshine I am so fond of. My favorite line in this post is about your sister... "she has spoken buoyancy into my soul".
What a beautiful description. And I love the writings of Antoine De Saint-Exupery. Blessing to you!