Sunday, September 27, 2009

Estate Planning

"You cannot amputate your history
from your destiny, because that is redemption."
Beth Moore
.
To which I add: "It is also your legacy."
.
It's a strangely familiar concept, redemption. We know it well because we're all about the business of redeeming in one form or another. Afterall, we redeem leftovers by blending them into something new and savory. We redeem time by filing our nails or reading a book while we wait - for a plane, for a doctor's appointment, for a baby's arrival. We redeem a tough day with a bowl of ice cream, or by spending quiet time in God's word.
.
Yes, I dare say we redeem far more than we make note of in any given day.
.
But what about our history, that one Beth Moore links to our destiny? Is it possible that all the good, bad and ugly matters of it could ever conspire towards any meaningful purpose, let alone destiny?
.
I think of ...
  • Joseph, and how the betrayal of his youth became the seque to his seat of power.
  • Samson, and how the folly of his lustful leanings became the platform for his valor.
  • Naomi, and how the sorrows of her losses became a milestone in God's salvation plan.
  • David, and how the short-sightedness of his desires became the source of his vision.

I also think of ...

  • Pharoah Ramses, and how his arrogance led to a nation's - Egypt - demise.
  • King Saul, and how conceit cost him his favor with God as well as his throne.
  • Haman, and how his anti-semitism led to his own death.
  • Jezebel, and how her power-hungry madness left her ravaged by dogs.

No doubt others come to your own mind; the lists are endless. They each represent history, and destiny, and legacy. It would seem we all leave something behind - either noble or ignoble. It would also seem that our estate has everything to do with how we respond to God's good news.

For the grace of God that brings
salvation has appeared to all men.
It teaches us to say "No" to ungodliness
and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled,
upright and godly lives in this present age,
while we wait for the blessed hope —
the glorious appearing of our great
God and Savior, Jesus Christ,
who gave himself for us to redeem us
from all wickedness and to purify for himself
a people that are his very own,
eager to do what is good.
Titus 2: 11-14

"But the more we search the Scriptures, the more we perceive, in this doctrine, the fundamental truth of the gospel - that truth which gives to redemption its character, and to all other truths their real power." John Nelson Darby

I know that my Redeemer lives,
and that in the end he will stand
upon the earth.

Job 19:25

It's amazing (and humbling) to think that my personal redemption is something I cannot affect in any way, shape or form. I can redeem things, but not souls. There is but one Redeemer, and that wouldn't be me.

Therefore, His destiny becomes my legacy, redeeming the entirety of my history. From there, He forms the extremely personal legacy I leave. I'd rather have what He crafts than what I can grip any day.

Now that's an estate worth having!

. .

10 comments:

Denise said...

Good stuff here sweetie.

Rose said...

All I can say is "Amen!"

RCUBEs said...

Can you hear the 2nd "Amen"...I just got home from work...tired...but not anymore after being reminded of our Redeemer Who doesn't die....the One Who's the same yesterday, today and forever...God bless you. Have a great week ahead!

Shirley said...

A lot to think about! I've not made that connection before. Good read! Good read!

Beth E. said...

That Beth...she sure is one smart cookie! Then again, MOST Beths are , aren't they?! ;-)

Sorry...couldn't resist that one. lol

Hugs,
Beth

KelliGirl said...

Kathleen, this is so true! God doesn't waste anything. I look at my own past and see God has used (and is using) it all to pave the way to my future. Good writing!

Now, since you mentioned it, I need to go redeem my day with a bowl of ice cream...

Goodnight, my friend,
Kelli

Carrie said...

GREAT post!

Diana said...

I so enjoyed these words this morning before leaving the house. Thanks for sharing.

Be safe as you are out of pocket for awhile.

Blessings,
Diana

Just a little something from Judy said...

I sit and I read each post, and then I reread. At that point, I feel like taking all capital letters and issuing a hearty Amen!! His legacy for me is the best!! I never cease to be amazed that He can take someone like me and use me for His nobel, and unexplainable purposes. It is truly an estate worth having.

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

One of my favorite Beth Moore quotes of all time. Another one, which goes along with this one, is

Full redemption = when our past begins to work for us instead of against us.

Somehow the two fit, don't they?

peace~elaine