Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Oh Let's Do Dance

.

"Come said the wind to the leaves one day,
Come o're the meadows and we will play.
Put on your dresses scarlet and gold,
For summer is gone and the days grow cold."
A Children's Song of the 1880's
.
Oh the difficulties I have with chosing my favorite season. I dare say it's not much of a contest because, in all truth, Fall has my heart.
.
Unlike the other seasons, I am always hurrying Fall along - - as if it were a petulant child insisting upon dragging it's feet. I peak through the tardy morning to see if a mist is forming. I breath deeply as if to quiet my Summer soul. I muse below the surface of my aging thoughts where memories of yesterFalls reside. A few such ...
  • Adding another blanket to the bed
  • Tucking sandals away in favor of socks & shoes
  • Leaving wide open the window at night
  • Relishing a carmel apple
  • Taking in the annual Fair with all it's delights
  • Smelling the loamy earth as it gives up it's harvest
  • Pressing nose against a rain-spattered pane
  • Delighting in new Crayolas and #2 pencils

These are simple, yet utterly profound items. They're the reds and golds of my Autumn thoughts, and they render me giddy with girlishness.

Fall is the glorious.

I think it not odd ... not odd at all, that such splendor is found just this side of Winter's devastating blight. Perhaps I've lived all my life in the Springs and Summers, knowing that one day I'd be living the Autumns that arrive just ahead of the Winters. Perhaps that is why I have so favored the browns, crimsons, yellows and greens of life. My heart is colored with every shade of them!

No matter ... As long as there's Fall, there is dancing.
.

"October gave a party;
The leaves by hundreds came -
The Chestnuts, Oaks, and Maples,
And leaves of every name.
The Sunshine spread a carpet,
And everything was grand,
Miss Weather led the dancing,
Professor Wind the band."
~George Cooper, "October's Party"

.

13 comments:

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

"Just this side of Winter's devastating blight..."

That's some imagery and perhaps the reason I, like you, love Fall so very much. It prepares my heart for Winter ... the stripping down for the building up.

And when Winter does arrive, I won't be surprised if I welcome it just as much. Colder weather fits with me. You can have these 90 degree days!

Lots of love to you this week, Mrs. Sas!

peace~elaine

Melinda said...

And a hearty AMEN! I love these words and their beautiful paintings almost as much as I love fall. Like you (and Elaine), it awakens my soul and puts a spring in my step that, during the summer, tends to "slug along".

Oh, if only your words would bid it COME!

Hugs this day,
Melinda

Diana said...

Oh yes! Bring it on. I am soooo ready.

Beth E. said...

Beautiful, Sassy...Fall is a favorite season of mine! I'm looking forward to the beautiful colors of the trees, the chill in the air, the crackling of leaves beneath my feet, the smell of hot apple cider, snuggling under a blanket, bonfires, Fall festivals....love it, love it, love it!

MOMSWEB said...

I agree; Fall is glorious. How can anyone not enjoy Fall?

Enjoyed my visit with you once again (smile).

Andrea said...

Oh, yes! Fall is definitely my favorite season. I love wearing my wool socks and clogs and snuggling under my big down comforter. I also love walking through the woods with my big furry dogs listening the leaves crunch under our feet.
Blessings and prayers, andrea

Technonana said...

Oh My Friend... what a way with words you have!! I just loved this post... I am a 'fall person'... I like spring, but there is just something about FALL.

Donna M. Kohlstrom said...

One thing I miss living in FL is the fall season. Love the crisp air, the apple orchards, the glorious colors of leaves back in New England.

christy rose said...

You definitely made me start thinking of jackets and apples and cool days with beautiful colors. I love fall too. But it sure does not feel like fall yet! It is still so hot here!

Terri Tiffany said...

You write so poetic! I miss fall here in Fl though I have come to notice when a few trees turn color now. But we still have a few weeks to go of summer!

Brenda Leyland said...

Autumn has always been my favourite season. Enjoy all the others, but there is something about the slower feeling of this season.

Have to admit, though, this year I have not been hankering after it, as we had such a late start to spring/summer that I'm holding onto the last days of summer with fiercer fingers!!

I enjoyed the Children's Song you posted. It's gives 'scope' for the imagination, don't you think?

a portland granny said...

I just loved this post. I, too, enjoy seeing the change of seasons approaching. I see many blogs are wearing a new look getting ready for the change. I have to say, tho, that I adore Spring. I love watching the new life spring forth.

The colors of fall are gorgeous. We have such arrays of color as we drive to the beach, or up the Gorge. It is a beauty to behold!!

Thanks for this post. Your words go together like fairy dust--just beautifully!

Shirl said...

I love autumn as well. Sadly, before I retired, it had lost its luster because I knew behind it lay winter. I have now given myself permission to enjoy autumn again! In fact, I am in my own 'autumn years'.