Monday, August 17, 2009

Give Careful Thought

.
Now this is what the LORD Almighty says:
"Give careful thought to your ways."
Haggai 1:5
.
The entirety of the Book of Haggai in the Old Testament is worth a read; many reads.
.
At first glance it appears to be more of a historical work than anything remotely relative. That is, until you look again ... and again.
.
I have often been struck by those words, "Give careful thought to your ways." They were written for a people long ago with a distinct purpose in mind. But they were penned for me too - - as if Haggai knew I needed to be included in his audience that day (and this one).
.
On the front end of this directive to give careful thought we have the sense that something is lacking ... and so it is. But with a right response, we see how powerfully that lacking is remedied:
.
"I am with you," declares the LORD.
1:13
..
In these passages I am reminded of how easy it is to give careful thought to THEIR ways, or to THESE things. It's not so easy to conduct a personal inventory amidst a day's doings, or a nation's upheaval, or a season of projects, or on-the-run when life presses (with both the good and not-so-good).
.
I'm not sure what giving careful thought ought to look like. But I do know it's not haphazard, or even easy.
.
Too, it's probably most needed when least desired.
.
Perhaps that needs to be my first step in the process of giving careful thought. Do I even care to give it at all? Do I long to know His thoughts about my ways? Am I willing to relinquish my grip and obey when I discover a disconnect?
.
If so, I can be certain that He is with me. If not, then something far less, something incredibly deficient is mine to cherish.
.
I wonder how often I've chosen, like the heroine Scarlet O'Hara from "Gone With the Wind", to think about it tomorrow?
...

11 comments:

christy rose said...

Great post Sassy! I do not want to put off until tomorrow what will get me in trouble today just because I do not want to heed the voice within me. Give careful thought about today, don't wait until tomorrow because then it is too late! This is so good! Thanks Kathleen!

Diane said...

Good post and great reminder. Thanks!

Denise @ A Sacred Longing said...

I wish I was better at the careful thoughts in my day...yet, hurried and harried seem to be my distracting companions of late.

Yet, thankfully, grace and mercy are found at the feet of my Father. A place I often find myself when distractions no longer have their pull.

Shalom,
Denise

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

Giving careful thought to a great many things today ... especially that story you sent me. Have you posted it here before? I seem to recall it. Oh my ... worthy of a second run in my opinion.

peace~elaine

KelliGirl said...

I continually am amazed at the treasure trove that awaits in the lesser known books of the Old Testament. Thanks for shining light on Haggai. I'll have to give it a careful read.

Love the new look of your blog...although isn't it still like 100 degrees where you are. I always knew you were an optimist!

Blessings, my friend,
Kelli

Diana said...

It's been a very long time since I have been in the book of Haggai. Guess I need to get on over there!

Saleslady371 said...

What great questions to ponder! I'm challenged as usual by your writing, Kathleen.

skoots1mom said...

your words so tightly wap around each of us...
thx 4 this post

Runner Mom said...

Oooh! I needed to hear that!! I am just getting into some of the writing of the prophets of the "small" books in the old testament. I'm on my way to Haggai now!!
Thank you bunches!
Hugs,
Susan

MOMSWEB said...

WOW! I just studied Haggai over the weekend. It definitely spoke to me.

Brenda Leyland said...

Good thoughts -- thanks for the tip about Haggai, it's been a while since I've been in there for any length of time!